Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP

ibmlucia

Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a popup
indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete files
from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a
full backup. I have not saved anything to the D drive. A friend suggested
one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. I had 'SpyBot' but
uninstalled it. I still have WeBroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, and my Norton
Anti-Virus running. Is there a setting that will allow an overwrite of the
data in the D drive?

thanks.

Malke

Re: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
ibmlucia wrote:
> I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a popup
> indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete files
> from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a
> full backup. I have not saved anything to the D drive. A friend suggested
> one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. I had 'SpyBot' but
> uninstalled it. I still have WeBroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, and my Norton
> Anti-Virus running. Is there a setting that will allow an overwrite of the
> data in the D drive?
>
> thanks.

How is this a "followup"? Find your original thread where you have lots
of replies.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
ibmlucia

Re: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
Although I had two replies, I have not had a response from Mike Hall MVP
since I answered his question as to what "spy" program I had. I thought I
would try another post since the original post would only show below the
following 13 posts. I do not have an answer my question and still need
assistance. My apology for naming this a followup. I should have made it a
re-post. so, do you know if there is a way to overwrite the "D" drive?

"Malke" wrote:

> ibmlucia wrote:
> > I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a popup
> > indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete files
> > from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a
> > full backup. I have not saved anything to the D drive. A friend suggested
> > one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. I had 'SpyBot' but
> > uninstalled it. I still have WeBroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, and my Norton
> > Anti-Virus running. Is there a setting that will allow an overwrite of the
> > data in the D drive?
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> How is this a "followup"? Find your original thread where you have lots
> of replies.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
"ibmlucia" <ibmlucia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Although I had two replies, I have not had a response from Mike Hall MVP
> since I answered his question as to what "spy" program I had. I thought I
> would try another post since the original post would only show below the
> following 13 posts. I do not have an answer my question and still need
> assistance. My apology for naming this a followup. I should have made
> it a
> re-post. so, do you know if there is a way to overwrite the "D" drive?
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> ibmlucia wrote:
>> > I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a
>> > popup
>> > indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete
>> > files
>> > from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to
>> > do a
>> > full backup. I have not saved anything to the D drive. A friend
>> > suggested
>> > one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. I had
>> > 'SpyBot' but
>> > uninstalled it. I still have WeBroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, and my
>> > Norton
>> > Anti-Virus running. Is there a setting that will allow an overwrite of
>> > the
>> > data in the D drive?
>> >
>> > thanks.
>> >

>> How is this a "followup"? Find your original thread where you have lots
>> of replies.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP

Regardless of what 'spy' program you have, and I must admit to never having
seen an 'anti-spyware' program ever save data to another partition by
default, you have obviously done something to fill up your recovery
partition.

The ONLY way to stop the pop up is to remove files from the partition, and
you do this by looking at the files with the most recent dates and removing
them until such time as you are left only with the original recovery files.

--
Mike Hall - MVP

CeCe813

Re: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
Mike:

I have the same problem with my partition D;/recovery drive. I've never
knowingly saved anything there, I keep my hands strictly off! I did try to
see what may have been added, but explorer will not let me see the files on
the D; drive. I opened "Computer", then clicked for the D: info, and I get a
message in the right panel that says this is my recovery drive and changing
or deleting any files could damage it. That's it, no option to even just peek
at the files/dates. Can you help with this?

CeCe
"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> "ibmlucia" <ibmlucia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Although I had two replies, I have not had a response from Mike Hall MVP
> > since I answered his question as to what "spy" program I had. I thought I
> > would try another post since the original post would only show below the
> > following 13 posts. I do not have an answer my question and still need
> > assistance. My apology for naming this a followup. I should have made
> > it a
> > re-post. so, do you know if there is a way to overwrite the "D" drive?

> >> How is this a "followup"? Find your original thread where you have lots
> >> of replies.
> >>

> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"
> >> MS-MVP
> >>

> Regardless of what 'spy' program you have, and I must admit to never having
> seen an 'anti-spyware' program ever save data to another partition by
> default, you have obviously done something to fill up your recovery
> partition.
>
> The ONLY way to stop the pop up is to remove files from the partition, and
> you do this by looking at the files with the most recent dates and removing
> them until such time as you are left only with the original recovery files.
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
"CeCe813" <CeCe813@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike:
>
> I have the same problem with my partition D;/recovery drive. I've never
> knowingly saved anything there, I keep my hands strictly off! I did try to
> see what may have been added, but explorer will not let me see the files
> on
> the D; drive. I opened "Computer", then clicked for the D: info, and I get
> message in the right panel that says this is my recovery drive and
> changing
> or deleting any files could damage it. That's it, no option to even just
> peek
> at the files/dates. Can you help with this?
>
> CeCe
> "Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:
>
>> "ibmlucia" <ibmlucia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Although I had two replies, I have not had a response from Mike Hall
>> > MVP
>> > since I answered his question as to what "spy" program I had. I
>> > thought I
>> > would try another post since the original post would only show below
>> > the
>> > following 13 posts. I do not have an answer my question and still need
>> > assistance. My apology for naming this a followup. I should have
>> > made
>> > it a
>> > re-post. so, do you know if there is a way to overwrite the "D" drive?

>> Regardless of what 'spy' program you have, and I must admit to never
>> having
>> seen an 'anti-spyware' program ever save data to another partition by
>> default, you have obviously done something to fill up your recovery
>> partition.
>>
>> The ONLY way to stop the pop up is to remove files from the partition,
>> and
>> you do this by looking at the files with the most recent dates and
>> removing
>> them until such time as you are left only with the original recovery
>> files.
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

Contact the computer manufacturer and ask how you get access to the recovery
partition such that you can rectify the problem. It may be as simple as
going to Folder Options in Control Panel, clicking on the View tab and
checking 'show hidden.... '

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Persiprudence

RE: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
I have the same problem...wish I knew how to make the D disk bigger, so I
followed the string and thought Malke suggestion to delete back to original
files to be maybe opposite of what should be kept (most recent file changes),
and finally came across this advice, which I found to actually help.
Hopefully it will help U2.
"Back Up Files wizard?
If your backups are saved to CDs or DVDs, you can discard discs containing
earlier backups, but make sure that you keep the most recent backup of your
files. If your backups are saved to an internal or external hard disk, you
can delete a backup by following these steps:

Open the location where the backup is saved.

For example, if you backed up your files to an external hard disk labeled
"E," connect the external hard disk to your computer, and then open drive E.

Right-click the folder containing the backup you want to delete, and then
click Delete.

Notes
Backups are saved in this format: <backup location>\<computer name>\Backup
Set <year-month-day> <time>. For example, if your computer name is Computer,
your backup location is E, and you backed up on April 2, 2006 at 16:32:00,
that backup would be located in E:\Computer\Backup Set 2006-02-04 163200. You
would right-click the folder named Backup Set 2006-02-04 163200 to delete
that backup.

When you make a full backup, a backup folder is created and labeled with the
date for that day. As you add updates, that date stays the same, but your
backup is not out of date. The next time you make a full backup, a new backup
folder is created and labeled with the date for that day, and any updates are
then added to that new folder. You should not delete the current backup
folder."

"ibmlucia" wrote:

> I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a popup
> indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete files
> from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a
> full backup. I have not saved anything to the D drive. A friend suggested
> one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. I had 'SpyBot' but
> uninstalled it. I still have WeBroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, and my Norton
> Anti-Virus running. Is there a setting that will allow an overwrite of the
> data in the D drive?
>
> thanks.

cc31959

Re: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP

"Malke" wrote:

> ibmlucia wrote:
> > I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a popup
> > indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete files
> > from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a
> > full backup. I have not saved anything to the D drive. A friend suggested
> > one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. I had 'SpyBot' but
> > uninstalled it. I still have WeBroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, and my Norton
> > Anti-Virus running. Is there a setting that will allow an overwrite of the
> > data in the D drive?
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> How is this a "followup"? Find your original thread where you have lots
> of replies.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP

cc31959

Re: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
Malke,

How do I "Find your original thread where you have lots
> of replies."

I new at this and I cant seem to find out how to either back up or to see
what in is in my recovery partition I went to the folder option and change
that to see hidden folders but no luck I getting ready to remove it I MEAN IT
HELP

"Malke" wrote:

> ibmlucia wrote:
> > I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a popup
> > indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete files
> > from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a
> > full backup. I have not saved anything to the D drive. A friend suggested
> > one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. I had 'SpyBot' but
> > uninstalled it. I still have WeBroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, and my Norton
> > Anti-Virus running. Is there a setting that will allow an overwrite of the
> > data in the D drive?
> >
> > thanks.
> >

> How is this a "followup"? Find your original thread where you have lots
> of replies.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP

Malke

Re: Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP
cc31959 wrote:

> Malke,
>
> How do I "Find your original thread where you have lots
>> of replies."

> I new at this and I cant seem to find out how to either back up or to see
> what in is in my recovery partition I went to the folder option and change
> that to see hidden folders but no luck I getting ready to remove it I MEAN
> IT HELP

A recovery partition on an OEM machine is there so you can restore your
computer to factory condition. Leave it alone. Make sure you follow the
computer mftr.'s directions as to how to create physical restore disks and
do it. That will insure you have a way to reinstall Windows if your hard
drive fails. How to make restore disks will be in the manual that came with
your computer, in OEM Help files on the computer itself, and also on the
computer mftr.'s website. Calling the computer mftr.'s tech support is also
an option.

As to why you are having difficulties with posting and finding your posts,
it is because you are using the web interface to these newsgroups - the
worst way to access them. Instead, set up a newsreader which is very easy
to do. See the information below.

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn
to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you
can use Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have
it. Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting