vista repair

Errol

vista repair
I have been having problems with things just changing themselves I have run
avira antivirus with latest updates and spybot pc tools with latest update
and found nothing. I run restore and it says i could not restore yet it
changes things, gadgets have stopped running sidebar appears to be working
but gadgets appear corrupted i have uninstalled them and reinstalled them
still the same, media center just decided it would not recognise my tv card
after working happily for months any help would be appreciated or do i have
to format regularly to keep things as they should be or can i repair vista
the same as you could xp Thanks for any help and would be appreciated
Bob

Re: vista repair

Start your PC in Safe Mode and run System Restore from there.

"Errol" <Errol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been having problems with things just changing themselves I have run
> avira antivirus with latest updates and spybot pc tools with latest update
> and found nothing. I run restore and it says i could not restore yet it
> changes things, gadgets have stopped running sidebar appears to be working
> but gadgets appear corrupted i have uninstalled them and reinstalled them
> still the same, media center just decided it would not recognise my tv
> card
> after working happily for months any help would be appreciated or do i
> have
> to format regularly to keep things as they should be or can i repair vista
> the same as you could xp Thanks for any help and would be appreciated

Errol

Re: vista repair
I'll try that straight away thank you

"Bob" wrote:

> Start your PC in Safe Mode and run System Restore from there.
>

> "Errol" <Errol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been having problems with things just changing themselves I have run
> > avira antivirus with latest updates and spybot pc tools with latest update
> > and found nothing. I run restore and it says i could not restore yet it
> > changes things, gadgets have stopped running sidebar appears to be working
> > but gadgets appear corrupted i have uninstalled them and reinstalled them
> > still the same, media center just decided it would not recognise my tv
> > card
> > after working happily for months any help would be appreciated or do i
> > have
> > to format regularly to keep things as they should be or can i repair vista
> > the same as you could xp Thanks for any help and would be appreciated

Errol

Re: vista repair
bad news to do a thorough virus scan i was told to turn of restore and also
restore only holds 3 points which were all after the problems started anyway.
i have been told that some virus will hide in restore points and that a virus
scan does not check restore points. is there a way to increase the number of
restore points as xp held a lot more which is more helpful. i am still
looking for away to repair the whole system
Bob

Re: vista repair
Go to Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, choose ‘Run as
Administrator’.

To display the current disk space allocated type or copy and paste “vssadmin
list shadowstorage” without the quotes and hit Enter.

To increase the disk space allocated, type or copy and paste
“vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=4GB” without the
quotes and hit Enter.

(example assumes changing space allocated on C drive to 4GB) Replace 4GB to
whatever you like. When you're done create a manual restore point.

> bad news to do a thorough virus scan i was told to turn of restore and
> also
> restore only holds 3 points which were all after the problems started
> anyway.
> i have been told that some virus will hide in restore points and that a
> virus
> scan does not check restore points. is there a way to increase the number
> of
> restore points as xp held a lot more which is more helpful. i am still
> looking for away to repair the whole system

mikeyhsd

Re: vista repair
with vista it is an
in place upgrade