Slow Internet connection on new PC

SalesGuy

Slow Internet connection on new PC
Just purchased a new HP desktop with Vista and Norton Internet Security. DSL
connection with line connection to Ethernet slot.

The Internet connection is slower than dial up. The old crappy desktop I'm
replacing was faster! Been through Norton and HP support desks, both of
which have not fixed the issue.

What suggestions do you have? If I can't fix this, I'm returning it and
purchasing a MAC!
Rick Rogers

Re: Slow Internet connection on new PC
Hi,

Uninstall the Norton software, see if this makes a difference. I suspect you
will find that it does.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"SalesGuy" <SalesGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased a new HP desktop with Vista and Norton Internet Security.
> DSL
> connection with line connection to Ethernet slot.
>
> The Internet connection is slower than dial up. The old crappy desktop
> I'm
> replacing was faster! Been through Norton and HP support desks, both of
> which have not fixed the issue.
>
> What suggestions do you have? If I can't fix this, I'm returning it and
> purchasing a MAC!

SalesGuy

Re: Slow Internet connection on new PC
First, I've disabled Norton with no change in performance.

Second, If I were to uninstall Norton, what do I do for Internet Security?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Uninstall the Norton software, see if this makes a difference. I suspect you
> will find that it does.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "SalesGuy" <SalesGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just purchased a new HP desktop with Vista and Norton Internet Security.
> > DSL
> > connection with line connection to Ethernet slot.
> >
> > The Internet connection is slower than dial up. The old crappy desktop
> > I'm
> > replacing was faster! Been through Norton and HP support desks, both of
> > which have not fixed the issue.
> >
> > What suggestions do you have? If I can't fix this, I'm returning it and
> > purchasing a MAC!

Rick Rogers

Re: Slow Internet connection on new PC
Hi,

There's a difference between uninstalling and disabling. Try it. You don't
need the firewall, there's one native to Vista. You don't need the spyware
detection, that's what Windows Defender does. For antivirus software I would
recommend something with less impact on the system like AVG or NOD32.

--

> First, I've disabled Norton with no change in performance.
>
> Second, If I were to uninstall Norton, what do I do for Internet Security?
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Uninstall the Norton software, see if this makes a difference. I suspect
>> you
>> will find that it does.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "SalesGuy" <SalesGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Just purchased a new HP desktop with Vista and Norton Internet
>> > Security.
>> > DSL
>> > connection with line connection to Ethernet slot.
>> >
>> > The Internet connection is slower than dial up. The old crappy desktop
>> > I'm
>> > replacing was faster! Been through Norton and HP support desks, both
>> > of
>> > which have not fixed the issue.
>> >
>> > What suggestions do you have? If I can't fix this, I'm returning it
>> > and
>> > purchasing a MAC!

Bob

Re: Slow Internet connection on new PC

Disable Norton and see if that solves the problem. If it does, get rid of
Norton and get either AVG or Avast...both are free. Also use Windows
Firewall and Defender which came with your PC.

"SalesGuy" <SalesGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just purchased a new HP desktop with Vista and Norton Internet Security.
> DSL
> connection with line connection to Ethernet slot.
>
> The Internet connection is slower than dial up. The old crappy desktop
> I'm
> replacing was faster! Been through Norton and HP support desks, both of
> which have not fixed the issue.
>
> What suggestions do you have? If I can't fix this, I'm returning it and
> purchasing a MAC!

SalesGuy

Re: Slow Internet connection on new PC
I disabled Norton and it didn't help. Above, Rick suggests that I uninstall
Norton, as there's a difference b/w uninsall and disable. Thoughts?

BTW, the Norton folks state that there isn't a difference.

"Bob" wrote:

> Disable Norton and see if that solves the problem. If it does, get rid of
> Norton and get either AVG or Avast...both are free. Also use Windows
> Firewall and Defender which came with your PC.
>

> "SalesGuy" <SalesGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just purchased a new HP desktop with Vista and Norton Internet Security.
> > DSL
> > connection with line connection to Ethernet slot.
> >
> > The Internet connection is slower than dial up. The old crappy desktop
> > I'm
> > replacing was faster! Been through Norton and HP support desks, both of
> > which have not fixed the issue.
> >
> > What suggestions do you have? If I can't fix this, I'm returning it and
> > purchasing a MAC!

SalesGuy

Re: Slow Internet connection on new PC
Thanks for the suggestion Rick.

I will try it. BTW, Norton says there is no difference.

I wonder if MSFT or the PC manufacturer will refund me for the Norton
subscription I purchased, since they're shipping Vista with Norton!

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There's a difference between uninstalling and disabling. Try it. You don't
> need the firewall, there's one native to Vista. You don't need the spyware
> detection, that's what Windows Defender does. For antivirus software I would
> recommend something with less impact on the system like AVG or NOD32.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "SalesGuy" <SalesGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > First, I've disabled Norton with no change in performance.
> >
> > Second, If I were to uninstall Norton, what do I do for Internet Security?
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Uninstall the Norton software, see if this makes a difference. I suspect
> >> you
> >> will find that it does.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Bob

Re: Slow Internet connection on new PC
Nope, no refund. It was your choice to purchase it.