Low Disk Space

ibmlucia

Low Disk Space
I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a popup
indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete files
from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a
full backup. Any suggestions?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Low Disk Space
"ibmlucia" <ibmlucia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a
>popup
> indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete
> files
> from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a
> full backup. Any suggestions?

The D drive is the recovery partition and should NOT be used for saving
personal backups. Remove any files you have saved there, and then leave the
partition be.

If you want to backup stuff, buy an external USB drive..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

Mark

Re: Low Disk Space
Additionally, consider turning off the Recycle Bin on Drive D:
(It's basically store trash there.)

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> "ibmlucia" <ibmlucia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a
> >popup
> > indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete
> > files
> > from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do

> > full backup. Any suggestions?

> The D drive is the recovery partition and should NOT be used for saving
> personal backups. Remove any files you have saved there, and then leave

the
> partition be.
>
> If you want to backup stuff, buy an external USB drive..
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP

ibmlucia

Re: Low Disk Space
Thanks for your reply Mike. I have not saved anything on the D drive. A
friend suggested one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. Is
there a setting that will allow an overwrite in the drive?

> Thanks for your reply Mike. I have not saved anything on the D drive. A
> friend suggested one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there.
> Is
> there a setting that will allow an overwrite in the drive?
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:
>
>> "ibmlucia" <ibmlucia@-156F2DE57243@microsoft.com...
>> >I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a
>> >popup
>> > indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete
>> > files
>> > from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to
>> > do a
>> > full backup. Any suggestions?

>> The D drive is the recovery partition and should NOT be used for saving
>> personal backups. Remove any files you have saved there, and then leave
>> the
>> partition be.
>>
>> If you want to backup stuff, buy an external USB drive..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

What 'spy security' program?

--
Mike Hall - MVP

ibmlucia

Re: Low Disk Space
I had 'SpyBot' but uninstalled it. I still have WeBroot Spy Sweeper,
Adaware, and my Norton Anti-Virus running. Thought there may be a setting
allowing an overwrite of what is there now.

thanks again.