Screen resolution changing kerfuffle

Bob Tyrka

Screen resolution changing kerfuffle
In experimenting with different resolutions I tried (1), but when I tried to
change it I was unable to reach to the bottom of the window where, I
imagine, choices reside. I've dragged the window up as far as it will go
and dropped the Taskbar down out of the way, but I still cannot reach the
buttons to change the resolution. What key strokes or other actions do I
need to do to change the resolution?

Phillips

Re: Screen resolution changing kerfuffle
Hook it up to a TV in clone or extended mode.
Uninstall the monitor 'driver' (inf. file) and reboot to get a "default"
resolution then reinstall - Vista might automatically reinstall for you,
though. You can uninstall (*not* disable) in device manager and reboot.
Try checking "Hide resolutions that the monitor cannot support."

Michaael

"Bob Tyrka" <rtyrka@cavtel.net> wrote in message
news:Zfudnb12FsujajTanZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@cavtel.net.. .
> In experimenting with different resolutions I tried (1), but when I tried
> change it I was unable to reach to the bottom of the window where, I
> imagine, choices reside. I've dragged the window up as far as it will go
> and dropped the Taskbar down out of the way, but I still cannot reach the
> buttons to change the resolution. What key strokes or other actions do I
> need to do to change the resolution?

Bob Tyrka

Re: Screen resolution changing kerfuffle
Thanks for your suggestions, Michael.
I tried uninstalling thru device manager and reinstalling, but the same bad
resolution returned.

Unfortunately, it would be difficult for me to hook up to a TV, but I'll do
it if necessary, but I don't understand what you mean by "in clone or
extended mode."

I saw no "Hide resolutions that the monitor cannot support." even though I
looked thru everything having to do with the monitor driver. Where might it
be?

Is there not a keystroke I can use that would do the same as a mouse click
on the Cancel button on the window showing the "1" so that it reverts back
to the previous resolution? I had a friend do a resolution change and
that's what happened, but neither of us could find a keystroke that would
substitute for the mouse click on Cancel.

Would System Restore change the resolution back to where it started from? I
would hate to do that, for the only restore point I have is before I spent
hours getting rid of programs I don't want or need on this computer.

Bob

"Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
> Hook it up to a TV in clone or extended mode.
> Uninstall the monitor 'driver' (inf. file) and reboot to get a "default"
> resolution then reinstall - Vista might automatically reinstall for you,
> though. You can uninstall (*not* disable) in device manager and reboot.
> Try checking "Hide resolutions that the monitor cannot support."
>
> Michaael
>

> "Bob Tyrka" <rtyrka@cavtel.net> wrote in message
> news:Zfudnb12FsujajTanZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@cavtel.net.. .
>> In experimenting with different resolutions I tried (1), but when I tried
>> change it I was unable to reach to the bottom of the window where, I
>> imagine, choices reside. I've dragged the window up as far as it will go
>> and dropped the Taskbar down out of the way, but I still cannot reach the
>> buttons to change the resolution. What key strokes or other actions do I
>> need to do to change the resolution?

miss-information

Re: Screen resolution changing kerfuffle
You can use the 'Tab' key to reach the Cancel button, then hit Enter. To
move the window, right click on the windows taskbar button and select
'Move'. Use the up, down,left and right arrow keys to move the window.

"Bob Tyrka" <rtyrka@cavtel.net> wrote in message
<...
> Is there not a keystroke I can use that would do the same as a mouse click
> on the Cancel button on the window showing the "1" so that it reverts back
> to the previous resolution? I had a friend do a resolution change and
> that's what happened, but neither of us could find a keystroke that would
> substitute for the mouse click on Cancel.
> Bob
>
>> "Bob Tyrka" <rtyrka@cavtel.net> wrote in message
>> news:Zfudnb12FsujajTanZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@cavtel.net.. .
>>> In experimenting with different resolutions I tried (1), but when I
>>> tried to
>>> change it I was unable to reach to the bottom of the window where, I
>>> imagine, choices reside. I've dragged the window up as far as it will
>>> go
>>> and dropped the Taskbar down out of the way, but I still cannot reach
>>> the
>>> buttons to change the resolution. What key strokes or other actions do
>>> need to do to change the resolution?

Bob Tyrka

Re: Screen resolution changing kerfuffle
Thanks very much. Bob

"miss-information" <invalid@invalid.net> wrote in message
> You can use the 'Tab' key to reach the Cancel button, then hit Enter. To
> move the window, right click on the windows taskbar button and select
> 'Move'. Use the up, down,left and right arrow keys to move the window.

> "Bob Tyrka" <rtyrka@cavtel.net> wrote in message
> <...
>> Is there not a keystroke I can use that would do the same as a mouse
>> click on the Cancel button on the window showing the "1" so that it
>> reverts back to the previous resolution? I had a friend do a resolution
>> change and that's what happened, but neither of us could find a keystroke
>> that would substitute for the mouse click on Cancel.
>> Bob
>>
>>> "Bob Tyrka" <rtyrka@cavtel.net> wrote in message
>>> news:Zfudnb12FsujajTanZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@cavtel.net.. .

Phillips

Re: Screen resolution changing kerfuffle
Clone: same Desktop would be displayed on both PC Monitor - hence, you can
access/see all the buttons
Extended: part of the Desktop is extended on the secondary monotor/TV' you
can move (with the mouse) the over extended Display Settings panel on the
larger monitor and fix what you need.

If "Hide resolutions..." is not available, there's no such specification in
the monitor inf file... weird.

Michael

news:Bt2dnTKEUN3euTbanZ2dnUVZ_tKinZ2d@cavtel.net.. .