Shut Down takes 5-10 minutes..

Rick

Shut Down takes 5-10 minutes..
Vista shutdown takes a minimum of 5 minutes, blue dump screen, then
automatically boots back up. Why?
--
Rick
Malke

Re: Shut Down takes 5-10 minutes..
Rick wrote:
> Vista shutdown takes a minimum of 5 minutes, blue dump screen, then
> automatically boots back up. Why?

We would need the exact text of the blue screen Stop Error to give you a
focused answer. In particular, see if a specific file is mentioned as
the source of the issue. In the meantime, here is my normal shutdown
troubleshooting information. Not everything may be applicable to your
situation so take the bits that are:

*****
Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from
malware or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton
or McAfee). If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it
and replace with a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast
(free). The Windows Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista,
shutdown issues can also be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make
sure all drivers are updated. See Step B. below for general driver
directions.

A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave
things as they are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually
want to update their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit
of performance out of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If
you're not one of those people, you don't need to update your drivers if
there are no problems you are trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no
Norton or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot
troubleshooting to see which program/process is the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and
there is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea -
take the machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from
family, friends, colleagues.
*****

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

pickanother is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dears,

New to this site going to take me a while to find my way around. I'm having the same problem on shutdown. Done most of suggestions. Can anyone give me any further help. This issue is driving me nuts never had any problems with XP.

Tx
Little Jonah

pickanother wrote:

> Dears,
>
> New to this site going to take me a while to find my way around. I'm
> having the same problem on shutdown. Done most of suggestions. Can
> anyone give me any further help. This issue is driving me nuts never had
> any problems with XP.

Same problem as what? No one knows. This isn't a "site" or a "forum". You
are posting on a website that simply scrapes Usenet posts. Set up a real
newsreader to access newsgroups instead. This is very simply done. Then
make a new post, following the suggestions at the various links in the "How
To Post" section. More information on this:

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting