System Tray/Explorer Problems.

GAX

System Tray/Explorer Problems.

OK so I just got an Acer Extensa 5420 with an AMD Turion 64 x2. It's
32bit Windows though, which is odd. Anyway, I have Vista Home Premium
and lately (the last two days of the whopping five that I've owned it)
there have been system tray problems. When I right click things they are
often delayed in giving me the menu, sometimes even for five minutes.
Also the network icon always says it's disconnected, even though I'm
using the network at the time, and I can even right click and click
"Connect to a Network" (eventually) and it shows me connected, but the
icon keeps the red x. And when I right click on an icon, once it shows
the menu, it keeps the shadow of it up after I click on it or click on
something else and it cannot be covered by other windows. Then,
remembering ye olden days before my desktop died when I had XP, I went
into Task Manager and ended explorer.exe. Stupid me, I thought it'd
start back. However, I imagine this will be remedied once i reboot in a
moment. In retrospect, I think all of my problems began when I enabled
ReadyBoost on an SD card I have. First my whole system went down, I
suspect because the disk was corrupted, so I formatted it again and
redid ReadyBoost on it and now all this mess is going on. Even the Start
bar icons are slower loading. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jacob

--
GAX

Vista restored my hope in Windows...
Acer took it back...
GAX

Re: System Tray/Explorer Problems.

Another possible related side note: I have installed the Microsoft SQL
Server Service Pack 2 through Windows Update like five times in the last
two days because it tells me it needs to. Also, when I scroll over the
network icon in the system tray, it says
Connection Status: unknown
Server Execution Failed
I disabled ReadyBoost on the SD card and rebooted and the system tray
is still having problems, though they don't seem AS bad. The above still
applies though.

--
GAX

Vista restored my hope in Windows...
Acer took it back...
Bob

Re: System Tray/Explorer Problems.
There's nothing odd about you having 32 bit Windows.

In any event, since you've only had it for 5 days I suggest you do a System
Recovery to restore it to factory condition. If that doesn't solve your
problem return it for a replacement.

"GAX" <GAX.34cc60@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> OK so I just got an Acer Extensa 5420 with an AMD Turion 64 x2. It's
> 32bit Windows though, which is odd. Anyway, I have Vista Home Premium
> and lately (the last two days of the whopping five that I've owned it)
> there have been system tray problems. When I right click things they are
> often delayed in giving me the menu, sometimes even for five minutes.
> Also the network icon always says it's disconnected, even though I'm
> using the network at the time, and I can even right click and click
> "Connect to a Network" (eventually) and it shows me connected, but the
> icon keeps the red x. And when I right click on an icon, once it shows
> the menu, it keeps the shadow of it up after I click on it or click on
> something else and it cannot be covered by other windows. Then,
> remembering ye olden days before my desktop died when I had XP, I went
> into Task Manager and ended explorer.exe. Stupid me, I thought it'd
> start back. However, I imagine this will be remedied once i reboot in a
> moment. In retrospect, I think all of my problems began when I enabled
> ReadyBoost on an SD card I have. First my whole system went down, I
> suspect because the disk was corrupted, so I formatted it again and
> redid ReadyBoost on it and now all this mess is going on. Even the Start
> bar icons are slower loading. Any thoughts?
> Thanks,
> Jacob
>

> --
> GAX
>
> Vista restored my hope in Windows...
> Acer took it back...

GAX

Re: System Tray/Explorer Problems.

New development: I found a fix on xoxide.com that I think originated on
TechNet. What I had to do was go into command prompt and type:
net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add
Then I rebooted and within a few minutes, all was well, the icon, the
security center, everything. Except for the SQL update, but that seems
to be a widespread problem. There was a different, non cmd oriented
method for those with Ultimate, Business, and... The other I've
forgotten, but this was the only one available to Home users.
Hope this helps someone,
GAX