Reinstall/Repair?

Chris Cowles

Reinstall/Repair?
Is there a process by which I can reinstall Vista Ultimate so that it
repairs an existing install? Perhaps foolishly, I installed SP1 RC.
Initially it ran well. A week (or two?) my hard disk is trashing
constantly (like background defrag) and everything's slow as molasses.
That includes web screen flips, file reads, email, etc. I suspect it's
SP1 RC but am not certain, as I've installed other software since,
that being HP Solution Center for my wireless AIO printer.

I uninstalled SP1 RC but nothing improved. If I can refresh or repair
the existing Vista Ultimate, I'd like to try. I've been unable to
determine if there are other problems. My alternative is a full
rebuild and reinstall, which I'd really rather not do.

TIA
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

Rick Rogers

Re: Reinstall/Repair?
Hi Chris,

Vista has no repair install like XP did. This is due in part to how it is
installed compared to previous versions of Windows. You can only create a
new installation without formatting (provided you have sufficient drive
space), then recover data from the old installation in a windows.old folder
that will be created. Programs will need to be reinstalled from their
original installation media.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Chris Cowles" <spam_magnet@remove-me-bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Is there a process by which I can reinstall Vista Ultimate so that it
> repairs an existing install? Perhaps foolishly, I installed SP1 RC.
> Initially it ran well. A week (or two?) my hard disk is trashing
> constantly (like background defrag) and everything's slow as molasses.
> That includes web screen flips, file reads, email, etc. I suspect it's SP1
> RC but am not certain, as I've installed other software since, that being
> HP Solution Center for my wireless AIO printer.
>
> I uninstalled SP1 RC but nothing improved. If I can refresh or repair the
> existing Vista Ultimate, I'd like to try. I've been unable to determine if
> there are other problems. My alternative is a full rebuild and reinstall,
> which I'd really rather not do.
>
> TIA
> --
> Chris Cowles
> Gainesville, FL

Bob

Re: Reinstall/Repair?
If you have a restore point prior to the SP1 install use it.

If your restore points don't go back that far Run sfc /scannow.

"Chris Cowles" <spam_magnet@remove-me-bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Is there a process by which I can reinstall Vista Ultimate so that it
> repairs an existing install? Perhaps foolishly, I installed SP1 RC.
> Initially it ran well. A week (or two?) my hard disk is trashing
> constantly (like background defrag) and everything's slow as molasses.
> That includes web screen flips, file reads, email, etc. I suspect it's SP1
> RC but am not certain, as I've installed other software since, that being
> HP Solution Center for my wireless AIO printer.
>
> I uninstalled SP1 RC but nothing improved. If I can refresh or repair the
> existing Vista Ultimate, I'd like to try. I've been unable to determine if
> there are other problems. My alternative is a full rebuild and reinstall,
> which I'd really rather not do.
>
> TIA
> --
> Chris Cowles
> Gainesville, FL

PaulB

RE: Reinstall/Repair?
Un upgrade install is eqivalent to a repair install.
--
Paul

"Chris Cowles" wrote:

> Is there a process by which I can reinstall Vista Ultimate so that it
> repairs an existing install? Perhaps foolishly, I installed SP1 RC.
> Initially it ran well. A week (or two?) my hard disk is trashing
> constantly (like background defrag) and everything's slow as molasses.
> That includes web screen flips, file reads, email, etc. I suspect it's
> SP1 RC but am not certain, as I've installed other software since,
> that being HP Solution Center for my wireless AIO printer.
>
> I uninstalled SP1 RC but nothing improved. If I can refresh or repair
> the existing Vista Ultimate, I'd like to try. I've been unable to
> determine if there are other problems. My alternative is a full
> rebuild and reinstall, which I'd really rather not do.
>
> TIA
> --
> Chris Cowles
> Gainesville, FL

PaulB

RE: Reinstall/Repair?
BTW have you tries a system restore?
--
Paul

"Chris Cowles" wrote:

> Is there a process by which I can reinstall Vista Ultimate so that it
> repairs an existing install? Perhaps foolishly, I installed SP1 RC.
> Initially it ran well. A week (or two?) my hard disk is trashing
> constantly (like background defrag) and everything's slow as molasses.
> That includes web screen flips, file reads, email, etc. I suspect it's
> SP1 RC but am not certain, as I've installed other software since,
> that being HP Solution Center for my wireless AIO printer.
>
> I uninstalled SP1 RC but nothing improved. If I can refresh or repair
> the existing Vista Ultimate, I'd like to try. I've been unable to
> determine if there are other problems. My alternative is a full
> rebuild and reinstall, which I'd really rather not do.
>
> TIA
> --
> Chris Cowles
> Gainesville, FL

Chris Cowles

Re: Reinstall/Repair?
"PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> BTW have you tries a system restore?

Restore points don't go back that far, unfortunately.

Chris Cowles

Re: Reinstall/Repair?
"Bob" <nowhere@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:QtOdnXf6o5lOsjTanZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> If you have a restore point prior to the SP1 install use it.
>
> If your restore points don't go back that far Run sfc /scannow.

Results:

Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix
some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I looked in the log but didn't find anything explicitly listing the
files that remain corrupt.

Where to from here?

The disk is thrashing much less but I haven't rebooted yet.
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

Bob

Re: Reinstall/Repair?
Reboot. If problem unresolved run sfc \scannow in safe mode. If problem
still unresolved Run CHKDSK (takes a loong time).