HOTFIX Pasword not working

Robert J. Lafayette

HOTFIX Pasword not working
RECEIVED THIS EMAIL MESSAGE BELOW TWO TIMES AS THE FIRST HOT FIX PASSWORD
DID NOT TAKE OR WORK.

NOW THIS PASSWORD IS THE SAME AND IT ALSO DOES NOT WORK, THOUGH A MESSAGE
SAYS FILES HAVE BEEN UNZIPPED THEY DO NOT SHOW ANYWHERE for me to execute
AND WHEN I GO TO UPDATES IN CONTROL PANEL THE HOT FIX FOR KB 928135 (after
rebooting) DOES NOT SHOW THOUGH ALL OTHER UPDATES DO SHOW. PLEASE ADVISE.

QUOTE FROM EMAIL:
The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP site for
you to download.

WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft website as
it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing. If you would
like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your specific
problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any special
compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you are
encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support Services.

The package is password protected so be sure to enter the appropriate
password for each package. To ensure the right password is provided cut and
paste the password from this mail.

NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within that
period to insure you can extract the files. If you receive two passwords it
means you are receiving the fix during a password change cycle. Use the
second password if you download after the indicated password change date.

Package:
KB Article Number(s): 928135
Language: All (Global)
Platform: i386
Location:
(http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Window...l_i386_zip.exe)
Password: KT1^+)h3
Password Changes On: 02/07/2008
Next Password: Ir!TO{

NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to
this hot fix location!

Thanks!
UNQUOTE--- END OF EMAIL FROM MS

I did as instructed and the password does not work. Please advise,

Cordially,
Robert

Hobo

Re: HOTFIX Pasword not working
How, and from whom, did you receive that email? This doesn't
sound right. Unless you can somehow verify that this was
from Microsoft (and it doesn't sound like it) I would
immediately start doing a virus scan. I could be wrong, and
hope I am. But to the best of my knowledge, MS does not send
out emails such as this. The two password thing sounds fishy
as well.

Hobo

Robert J. Lafayette wrote:
> RECEIVED THIS EMAIL MESSAGE BELOW TWO TIMES AS THE FIRST HOT FIX
> PASSWORD DID NOT TAKE OR WORK.
>
> NOW THIS PASSWORD IS THE SAME AND IT ALSO DOES NOT WORK, THOUGH A
> MESSAGE SAYS FILES HAVE BEEN UNZIPPED THEY DO NOT SHOW ANYWHERE for me
> to execute AND WHEN I GO TO UPDATES IN CONTROL PANEL THE HOT FIX FOR KB
> 928135 (after rebooting) DOES NOT SHOW THOUGH ALL OTHER UPDATES DO
> SHOW. PLEASE ADVISE.
>
> QUOTE FROM EMAIL:
> The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP site
> for you to download.
>
> WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft
> website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing.
> If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your
> specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any
> special compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix,
> you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support
> Services.
>
> The package is password protected so be sure to enter the appropriate
> password for each package. To ensure the right password is provided cut
> and paste the password from this mail.
>
> NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within that
> period to insure you can extract the files. If you receive two
> passwords it means you are receiving the fix during a password change
> cycle. Use the second password if you download after the indicated
> password change date.
>
> Package:
> KB Article Number(s): 928135
> Language: All (Global)
> Platform: i386
> Location:
> (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Window...l_i386_zip.exe)
>
> Password: KT1^+)h3
> Password Changes On: 02/07/2008
> Next Password: Ir!TO{
>
> NOTE: Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating
> to this hot fix location!
>
> Thanks!
> UNQUOTE--- END OF EMAIL FROM MS
>

> I did as instructed and the password does not work. Please advise,
>
> Cordially,
> Robert

Charlie42

"Hobo" <Hobo@nospam.com> wrote:

> How, and from whom, did you receive that email? This doesn't sound right.
> Unless you can somehow verify that this was from Microsoft (and it doesn't
> sound like it) I would immediately start doing a virus scan. I could be
> wrong, and hope I am. But to the best of my knowledge, MS does not send
> out emails such as this. The two password thing sounds fishy as well.

It appears to be OK. This particular hotfix must be requested from
Microsoft, before it can be fetched.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928135

Charlie42

Charlie42

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote:

> RECEIVED THIS EMAIL MESSAGE BELOW TWO TIMES AS THE FIRST HOT FIX PASSWORD
> DID NOT TAKE OR WORK.
>
> NOW THIS PASSWORD IS THE SAME AND IT ALSO DOES NOT
> WORK, THOUGH A MESSAGE SAYS FILES HAVE BEEN
> UNZIPPED THEY DO NOT SHOW ANYWHERE for me to execute AND WHEN I GO TO
> UPDATES IN CONTROL PANEL THE HOT
> FIX FOR KB 928135 (after rebooting) DOES NOT SHOW THOUGH
> ALL OTHER UPDATES DO SHOW. PLEASE ADVISE.

First of all: Please, stop YELLING.

From your description, it seems to me Explorer has unzipped the files to
your disk, but you can not see to what location. Make sure you specify a
folder to where the file(s) should be unzipped. Do not unzip to some random
temp folder, pick one where you can easily retrieve the files afterwards,
such as Desktop or Documents. Also, for convenience, you can tick the option
to Show unzipped files upon completion.

You then need to run the unzipped file(s) as administrator in order to
install the hotfix. The KB number will not appear in the update log until
you have done so.

Charlie42

MIC

Re: HOTFIX Pasword not working

check this out you will have to register
http://thehotfixshare.net/board/inde...ds&showfile=34

--
MIC
MIC's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39365

http://forums.techarena.in

Charlie42

"MIC" <MIC.34bwfd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

> check this out you will have to register
> http://thehotfixshare.net/board/inde...ds&showfile=34

I'm not familiar with this site, and there is no way for me to tell whether
it is trustworthy or not either, but here is my two pennies' worth: I prefer
to download from reputable and verifiable sources only. In the case of
Windows updates and hotfixes that means downloading solely from
Microsoft.com. Anything else would represent a malware risk simply not worth
taking.

Charlie42

Robert J. Lafayette

Re: HOTFIX Pasword not working

"Thehotfixshare.net" did the trick.

Thanks to one and all.

Hotfix applied and awaiting a few days of trial to determine if it has
taken.

Robert

"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
> "MIC" <MIC.34bwfd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
>
>> check this out you will have to register
>> http://thehotfixshare.net/board/inde...ds&showfile=34

> I'm not familiar with this site, and there is no way for me to tell
> whether it is trustworthy or not either, but here is my two pennies'
> worth: I prefer to download from reputable and verifiable sources only. In
> the case of Windows updates and hotfixes that means downloading solely
> from Microsoft.com. Anything else would represent a malware risk simply
> not worth taking.
>
> Charlie42

Robert J. Lafayette

Re: HOTFIX Pasword not working
Sorry for seeming to yell, but I used caps to differentiate my email from
the email I received from Microsoft.

Would have used colors, italics or underline, but colors et al, are not
available in newsgroups to my knowledge.

So it was an error in typing not yelling, per se.

That being understood the hotfixshare.net did the trick.

Was unaware about having to right click on the file and opening it as
administrator. That is a neat trick I will not forget.