undo: system restore

ChiSteph

undo: system restore
i have windows vista & i have a problem. every night, my computer restarts
itself (for some reason), and every morning i need to use system restore in
order to connect to the internet. at about 3 am, the computer automatically
undoes the system restore from earlier that day, and the cycle starts all
over again. is there any way to prevent the computer from undoing the system
restore?
Bob

Re: system restore

Go to Change Advanced Power Settings.

Set hard drive to turn off a minute or 2 before sleep.

Set Hybrid and Hibernate modes to "Off"

Under USB settings select "Disable"

Under Multimedia select "Allow ....."

"ChiSteph" <ChiSteph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have windows vista & i have a problem. every night, my computer restarts
> itself (for some reason), and every morning i need to use system restore
> in
> order to connect to the internet. at about 3 am, the computer
> automatically
> undoes the system restore from earlier that day, and the cycle starts all
> over again. is there any way to prevent the computer from undoing the
> system
> restore?

Dwarf

RE: undo: system restore
Hi ChiSteph,

Unless you change the settings, Windows Update (WU) downloads and installs
any updates at 3am local time. What is happening is that WU is installing an
update which causes you to lose Internet connectivity. When you run System
Restore (SR), you effectively uninstall that update. However, when WU runs
again it reinstalls the same update giving the impression that the SR has
been undone when in fact it isn't the case. What you need to do is to run SR
again and then run WU manually to find out what updates are going to be
installed. My feeling is that one of these updates is for your network
interface. These types of update are usually optional. Have you got WU to
download and automatically install ALL updates? I suggest that you check the
list of available updates and if there is an update for your network
interface then you need to make sure this one is set to 'hidden' to prevent
future problems. To do this, right click on it and select 'Hide update'. You
will need to provide administrative credentials in order to do this. My
recommendation for Optional updates is not to install them if you are having
no problems with the device that the update refers to and, in any case, you
are advised to get any updates for these devices directly from the
manufacturer.
Dwarf