backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff

bcpc43

backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff
my hp is 1 month old and the backup and restore pgm has been getting a
catastrophic error with a code 0x8000fff when I backup to C:\. If I go to a
cd it works fine. I was able to do backups up until 6 days ago. I have
spent 3 days with hp and they all have different options to try but none
which work. The error code seems to be used for a lot of things but I
haven't found any help for the B&R pgm. Any help is appreciated.
Christine [MSFT]

RE: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff
Hi there,

Is this file backup? If it is, could you send me the trace files under
C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup?
(remove "online" from my email address)

Thanks,
--
Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division

"bcpc43" wrote:

> my hp is 1 month old and the backup and restore pgm has been getting a
> catastrophic error with a code 0x8000fff when I backup to C:\. If I go to a
> cd it works fine. I was able to do backups up until 6 days ago. I have
> spent 3 days with hp and they all have different options to try but none
> which work. The error code seems to be used for a lot of things but I
> haven't found any help for the B&R pgm. Any help is appreciated.

milose

Re: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff

I'm having the same problem with the same error code when trying to use
the backup and restore utility. I've googled the error code and I guess
I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm wondering if maybe there
is some new information or a fix. Thanks.

--
milose
Websken

Re: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff

I have scheduled my computer to do backups every Sunday evening at 7
p.m. This is not a problem because I always receive a message telling me
that my backup was successful. However, the following morning, when I
switch on my machine, I too get this 'catastrophic failure' message.
This has only started happening during the last 6-8 weeks or so. Not
being particularly 'au fait' with computers, I'm not sure what I should
do. I've had a quick look at my backup disks and the information seems
to be there. I would appreciate any suggestions, preferably in words of
one syllable.

Regards,
Websken

--
Websken
Christine [MSFT]

Re: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff
0x8000FFFF usually represents "generic" failures for which the program is not
able to identify the exact cause at the time the failure occurs. If you could
send me the etl files under C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup I could try to find
out what the problem is.

--

"Websken" wrote:

> I have scheduled my computer to do backups every Sunday evening at 7
> p.m. This is not a problem because I always receive a message telling me
> that my backup was successful. However, the following morning, when I
> switch on my machine, I too get this 'catastrophic failure' message.
> This has only started happening during the last 6-8 weeks or so. Not
> being particularly 'au fait' with computers, I'm not sure what I should
> do. I've had a quick look at my backup disks and the information seems
> to be there. I would appreciate any suggestions, preferably in words of
> one syllable.
>
> Regards,
> Websken
>

> --
> Websken

Websken

Re: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff

Sorry Christine but I don't know how to do this. I can locate the files
but it appears that I have to attach them one-by-one. Is there a way I
can send them to you as a block?

Regards,

--
Websken
milose

Re: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff
Unlike Websken I'm not able to locate the exact files you're asking for and
I've been places on this machine I never knew existed looking. Any direction
would be appreciated. Thanks

"Websken" wrote:

> Sorry Christine but I don't know how to do this. I can locate the files
> but it appears that I have to attach them one-by-one. Is there a way I
> can send them to you as a block?
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Websken

Christine [MSFT]

Re: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff
Websken - you could zip up the entire folder and send it. If it's too big to
send through email, you can send it through an online file transfer website
such as www.sendthisfile.com or www.yousendit.com

milose - I assumed you are having problem with File Backup, and not Complete
PC backup? If so you should be able to find this folder at the location
specified. Are you able to find the Logs folder?

Thanks,
--

"milose" wrote:

> Unlike Websken I'm not able to locate the exact files you're asking for and
> I've been places on this machine I never knew existed looking. Any direction
> would be appreciated. Thanks
>
> "Websken" wrote:
>

> > Sorry Christine but I don't know how to do this. I can locate the files
> > but it appears that I have to attach them one-by-one. Is there a way I
> > can send them to you as a block?
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > --
> > Websken

milose

Re: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff
Christine - It's File Backup. I've located the WindowsBackup etl files. I
can't open them.... "windows does not recognize this type of file." Can you
recommend a source? There's seven of them.... I guess for each attempt? Do
you need all or just the most current?
Thanks, Milose
"Christine [MSFT]" wrote:

> Websken - you could zip up the entire folder and send it. If it's too big to
> send through email, you can send it through an online file transfer website
> such as www.sendthisfile.com or www.yousendit.com
>
> milose - I assumed you are having problem with File Backup, and not Complete
> PC backup? If so you should be able to find this folder at the location
> specified. Are you able to find the Logs folder?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division

> "milose" wrote:
>
> > Unlike Websken I'm not able to locate the exact files you're asking for and
> > I've been places on this machine I never knew existed looking. Any direction
> > would be appreciated. Thanks
> >
> > "Websken" wrote:
> >

> > > Sorry Christine but I don't know how to do this. I can locate the files
> > > but it appears that I have to attach them one-by-one. Is there a way I
> > > can send them to you as a block?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >

> > > --
> > > Websken

tjb123

Re: backup and restore pgm error 0x8000ffff
I have the same problem, can locate the etl files, but windows does not
recognize them. what comes next in attempting a fix?