Data Execution Prevention

tskellyfla

Data Execution Prevention
I am trying to use windows dvd maker but it keeps getting shut down because
of the Data Execution Prevention program. I've tried to turn it off for the
dvd program but I get a message saying that it can't be shut off for the dvd
program. I've tried also redownloading the dvd program, that also didn't
work. I'm not sure where to go from here, Can anyone help..... other
programs that used to work are also being shut down by D.E.P. It all started
on same day, I have not downloaded anything prior to the issue.
Brink

Re: Data Execution Prevention

tskellyfla;593772 Wrote:
> I am trying to use windows dvd maker but it keeps getting shut down
> because
> of the Data Execution Prevention program. I've tried to turn it off for
> the
> dvd program but I get a message saying that it can't be shut off for
> the dvd
> program. I've tried also redownloading the dvd program, that also
> didn't
> work. I'm not sure where to go from here, Can anyone help..... other
> programs that used to work are also being shut down by D.E.P. It all
> started
> on same day, I have not downloaded anything prior to the issue.

Hi tskellyfla,

I would do a thorough scan to make sure that you do not have a Virus or
some other malware to be safe first.

This will show you how you can disable DEP to see if that will help
you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...e-disable.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 03:23:33 -0600, Brink wrote:

>I would do a thorough scan to make sure that you do not have a Virus or
>some other malware to be safe first.

Actually the description that several programs suddenly fall
foul of Data Execution Prevention does hint at a virus.

If so, then DEP is doing exactly what it has been designed
for---a good sign, really.

I'd like to know the final result of this particular case.
Please report here, if you can!

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Kerry Brown

Re: Data Execution Prevention
DEP problems are a symptom. Disabling DEP may stop the symptom but it
doesn't cure the underlying problem. It is most likely a codec that is
causing the problem. Have you installed any codec packs? You can usually
find out what codec is causing the problem by examining the errors in the
event logs. Every time you get a DEP error it is written to the event logs.
Usually a file name will be mentioned in the event details. Google for the
file name to see what codec it is.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...&qu=event+logs

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"tskellyfla" <tskellyfla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to use windows dvd maker but it keeps getting shut down because
> of the Data Execution Prevention program. I've tried to turn it off for
> the
> dvd program but I get a message saying that it can't be shut off for the
> dvd
> program. I've tried also redownloading the dvd program, that also didn't
> work. I'm not sure where to go from here, Can anyone help..... other
> programs that used to work are also being shut down by D.E.P. It all
> started
> on same day, I have not downloaded anything prior to the issue.

tskellyfla

RE: Data Execution Prevention
Thanks for input... I have ran virus & spyware scan, norton, negative.
There was the idea about a codex problem in my event log, I have Divx. I'm
going through the event log but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.
I've been looking a common link but so far to no avail. Tried deleting divx
and reinstalling, computer won't allow anything new to install. Digital
signature problem. Besides a sledgehammer any ideas.
Raj1

Re: Data Execution Prevention

I am having the exact same issue as the person here...and I would really
like some sort of explanation, if possible. Not being able to use
windows Dvd maker all of the sudden is frusterating....pls help!

--
Raj1
Questor

Re: Data Execution Prevention
--->
> I am having the exact same issue as the person here...and I would really
> like some sort of explanation, if possible. Not being able to use
> windows Dvd maker all of the sudden is frusterating....pls help!

What issue is that?

Questor
Richard Urban

"Raj1" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am having the exact same issue as the person here...and I would really
> like some sort of explanation, if possible. Not being able to use
> windows Dvd maker all of the sudden is frusterating....pls help!
>

> --
> Raj1

If you don't quote the original problem you are referring too, and don't
take the time and energy to describe your own problem, you are not likely to
obtain assistance anywhere.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

NetLink_Blue

Raj1 wrote:
> I am having the exact same issue as the person here...and I would really
> like some sort of explanation, if possible. Not being able to use
> windows Dvd maker all of the sudden is frusterating....pls help!

Please Google for { "data execution" windows dvd }

Lot's of links/info for your issue. Good luck.

Net_Blue