Sleep and File Transfer

Marc Meltzer

Sleep and File Transfer
I am trying to use the File Transfer control to download files from the
Technet download site. I am trying to do the download at night when I'm
sleeping so it's the only thing occupying bandwidth. For whatever reason,
while the transfer is in progress, my system will fall asleep.

My power settings are the defaults, so what do I need to change to make the
system not sleep when it's active?

Thanks,
Marc

Bob

Re: Sleep and File Transfer
Power Options>Change Sleep Mode to Never

"Marc Meltzer" <themeltz@community.nospam> wrote in message
>I am trying to use the File Transfer control to download files from the
>Technet download site. I am trying to do the download at night when I'm
>sleeping so it's the only thing occupying bandwidth. For whatever reason,
>while the transfer is in progress, my system will fall asleep.
>
> My power settings are the defaults, so what do I need to change to make
> the system not sleep when it's active?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

RE: Sleep and File Transfer
Hello Marc,

Thank you for your post and thanks Bob for the information sharing.

Please follow the below steps to change Power Options settings on your
Vista machine:

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Power Options
2. Select the power plan which is used currently, and then click change
plan settings.
3. Select Never for put the computer to sleep option, and then click Save
Changes.

The following article provides more information about Power Options on
Vista machines which might be helpful to you.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...02f-49f2-a30f-
0bd99a2dc3e61033.mspx

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

Marc Meltzer

Re: Sleep and File Transfer
But setting the option to "never" is not a good option, because I would
prefer the system be sleeping when not active.

Doesn't transferring a file count as activity to a PC anymore? I'm pretty
sure I remember when that was the case.

Marc

"Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]" <v-jpzhu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Marc,
>
> Thank you for your post and thanks Bob for the information sharing.
>
> Please follow the below steps to change Power Options settings on your
> Vista machine:
>
> 1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Power Options
> 2. Select the power plan which is used currently, and then click change
> plan settings.
> 3. Select Never for put the computer to sleep option, and then click Save
> Changes.
>
> The following article provides more information about Power Options on
> Vista machines which might be helpful to you.
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...02f-49f2-a30f-
> 0bd99a2dc3e61033.mspx
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Sincerely,
> Neo Zhu,
> Microsoft Online Support
> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

> ================================================== ===
> ================================================== ===
> rights.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Re: Sleep and File Transfer
Hello Marc,

Thank you for your reply.

Computer will automatically go to sleep after a period of inactivity, if a
period of time (for example 1 hour) is configured under put the computer to
sleep option.

Here the "inactivity" should refer to keyboard and mouse inactivity. That's
the reason why your computer will go to sleep at night.

The workaround is to create several different power plans under Power
Options. You could choose different plan under different scenario.

For more information, please refer to:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...02f-49f2-a30f-
0bd99a2dc3e61033.mspx

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

Bob

Re: Sleep and File Transfer
When responding to posts, please include the message you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue.

> Hello Marc,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Computer will automatically go to sleep after a period of inactivity, if a
> period of time (for example 1 hour) is configured under put the computer
> sleep option.
>
> Here the "inactivity" should refer to keyboard and mouse inactivity.
> That's
> the reason why your computer will go to sleep at night.
>
> The workaround is to create several different power plans under Power
> Options. You could choose different plan under different scenario.
>
> For more information, please refer to:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...02f-49f2-a30f-
> 0bd99a2dc3e61033.mspx
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Sincerely,
> Neo Zhu,
> Microsoft Online Support
> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

> ================================================== ===
> ================================================== ===
> rights.

Marc Meltzer

Re: Sleep and File Transfer
(I am cross-posting to the MCE group with this post)

When did Microsoft redefine "inactivity"? I always assumed that disk
activity, such as downloading a file, would keep the computer awake until
the activity is completed.

Let me provide another example:

I have a Vista Media Center PC. I have certain shows set to record on a
schedule. At the appropriate time, the PC will wake up, record the show,
and then return to sleep. There is no mouse or keyboard activity during the
recording session, so what else is keeping the PC awake?

I am trying to download a very large file as part of my Technet
subscription. Given my ~1 Mbps Internet connection, I have no idea how long
it's going to take. I want the computer to return to sleep when the
download is done, not before. For whatever reason, the computer is going to
sleep anyway, without completing the download.

Is it something in the Microsoft File Transfer Control?

Marc

"Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]" <v-jpzhu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Marc,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Computer will automatically go to sleep after a period of inactivity, if a
> period of time (for example 1 hour) is configured under put the computer
> sleep option.
>
> Here the "inactivity" should refer to keyboard and mouse inactivity.
> That's
> the reason why your computer will go to sleep at night.
>
> The workaround is to create several different power plans under Power
> Options. You could choose different plan under different scenario.
>
> For more information, please refer to:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...02f-49f2-a30f-
> 0bd99a2dc3e61033.mspx
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Sincerely,
> Neo Zhu,
> Microsoft Online Support
> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

> ================================================== ===
> ================================================== ===
> rights.

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Re: Sleep and File Transfer
Hello Marc,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on my research, I think the example you provider might be under a
different scenario.

As you might know, away mode is a Windows Vista feature that is designed
for media PC scenarios. Away Mode enables the Windows Vista PC to appear
off to the user, when the system is actually operational and processing
background media tasks such as recording television content or streaming
media to other devices.

In advanced power options (under multimedia settings), we can configure
allow computer to enter away mode when sharing media. Under this scenario,
the computer will not sleep when idle until there are no media tasks under
process.

I will keep doing research on this issue, if I manage to find any
workaround, I'll let you know.

Thanks for using our products and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

From: "Marc Meltzer" <themeltz@community.nospam>
Subject: Re: Sleep and File Transfer
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:12:36 -0500
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance,microsoft.public.wind
ows.mediacenter