Windows Media Player and analog copy protection error

bobg3723

Windows Media Player and analog copy protection error

I tried to play a DVD in my HP Pavilion notebook PC through my component
video output to my HDTV and an error box came up stating:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because it is not possible
to turn on analog copy protection on the output display. Try installing
an updated driver for your video card."

So I selected the Web Help option which opened this site explaining the
details:

'Microsoft Windows Media - Web Help'
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...nalid=C00D1163)

Am I to understand that out of the box only Windows Media Center can
play my DVD's? Do I have to buy a seperate DVD decoder or DRM plug in
for Media Player?
Can someone here enlighten me?

And my HP Quickplay itself is unable to play DVD's as well.

Confused.

--
bobg3723
peter

Re: Windows Media Player and analog copy protection error
Copy Protection cuts in when your Video Card or Monitor does not comply to
the HDCP standard
http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp
http://www.pcstats.com/artvnl.cfm?articleID=1871

peter

"bobg3723" <bobg3723.343qg4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I tried to play a DVD in my HP Pavilion notebook PC through my component
> video output to my HDTV and an error box came up stating:
>
> "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because it is not possible
> to turn on analog copy protection on the output display. Try installing
> an updated driver for your video card."
>
> So I selected the Web Help option which opened this site explaining the
> details:
>
> 'Microsoft Windows Media - Web Help'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...nalid=C00D1163)
>
> Am I to understand that out of the box only Windows Media Center can
> play my DVD's? Do I have to buy a seperate DVD decoder or DRM plug in
> for Media Player?
> Can someone here enlighten me?
>
> And my HP Quickplay itself is unable to play DVD's as well.
>
> Confused.
>

> --
> bobg3723

bobg3723

peter;593088 Wrote:
> Copy Protection cuts in when your Video Card or Monitor does not comply
> the HDCP standard

Thanks for the links to the DRM stuff.

It's just bugging me that maybe there is a critical setting I've
neglected to set because I've already played copyrighted DVD's out the
component port with Windows Media Center, but prevented from do so with
Windows Media Player (which I freely admit i didn't state clearly in my
thread ). Any thoughts?

--
bobg3723
jbav@xplornet.com

On Feb 1, 9:07*pm, bobg3723 <bobg3723.344...@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:
> peter;593088 Wrote:
>
> > Copy Protection cuts in when your Video Card or Monitor does not comply
> > the HDCP standard

> Thanks for the links to the DRM stuff.
>
> It's just bugging me that maybe there is a critical setting I've
> neglected to set because I've already played copyrighted DVD's out the
> component port with Windows Media Center, but prevented from do so with
> Windows Media Player (which I freely admit i didn't state clearly in my
> thread ). Any thoughts?
>
> --
> bobg3723

I knew exactly what you meant. This just recently happened to me, my
wmp version 11 at one time did play and now has stopped playing
copyrighted discs, but what was stranger, all my other software (Nero,
PowerDvd etc...) plays them with no trouble!!????
I struggled through Microsofts maze of help, updated video card
drivers for really no reason, re-installed WMP11, it still didnt
help. Hopefully by throwing this out there will expand others help
ideas other than just "Microsoft DRM help"...I always got that one and
I do appreciate the help (heck, I keep going back to the link hoping
for a new solution...ya never know). Hope you find a solution, which
I hope helps me.

jbav
zzhumphreyt

Re: Windows Media Player and analog copy protection error

I had this same issue and it's due to analog copy protection. DVD
programs try to enforce this and if they can't over your component
connection then they'll give up. Media Center actually lowers your
resolution to 480i which is why it still plays DVDs when other programs
won't. I noticed this because the aspect fill button on my TV acted
differently when Media Center was playing DVDs versus when it wasn't.

The solution for me was to use a VGA connection to my TV -- lucky for
me it even offered that. Another solution is to use a program called
AnyDVD which will disable the copy protection on the DVD while it's
playing so any other program will play them fine. You could also try
older DVD playing software that doesn't know about HDTV. I tried
PowerDVD XP on Vista, and even though it had some control issues it
played the movie fine.

--
zzhumphreyt
*slurp!*

Re: Windows Media Player and analog copy protection error

Try using Media Player Classic. I have the same problem with Windows
Media Player but Media Player Classic works great and it supports many
formats that Windows Media Player doesn't. Just Google it and you'll
find half a dozen download links.

--
*slurp!*
*slurp!*'s Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/101648.htm