Shut down problem

Scott

Shut down problem
I have for some time had problems shutting my notebook down. For the first 2
months, it was fine, I had no problems. After than Shutting Down the notebook
has became an utter nightmare. It sometimes shutdowns down straight away and
other times it will just not shut down correctly. I am then forced to press
the power button. I'm not happy having to do that, I want to be able to shut
it down correctly. Like I said it doesn't always stop on "Shutting Down"
screen but at least 5/10 times it will.

It seems that I'm not alone in this but any help would be grately
appreciated.
Thank you for your time

Scott
Malke

Re: Shut down problem
Scott wrote:
> I have for some time had problems shutting my notebook down. For the first 2
> months, it was fine, I had no problems. After than Shutting Down the notebook
> has became an utter nightmare. It sometimes shutdowns down straight away and
> other times it will just not shut down correctly. I am then forced to press
> the power button. I'm not happy having to do that, I want to be able to shut
> it down correctly. Like I said it doesn't always stop on "Shutting Down"
> screen but at least 5/10 times it will.

Shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is
refusing to exit gracefully. The program and/or process can be from
malware or can be legitimate (such as an invasive antivirus like Norton
or McAfee). If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it
and replace with a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast
(free). The Windows Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista,
shutdown issues can also be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make
sure all drivers are updated. See Step B. below for general driver
directions.

A.The first step is always to make sure your computer is virus/malware free.

B. Drivers - The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it". Normally if everything is working you want to leave
things as they are. The exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually
want to update their video and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit
of performance out of the hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If
you're not one of those people, you don't need to update your drivers if
there are no problems you are trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

C. If the computer is virus/malware-free, drivers are current, and no
Norton or McAfee programs are installed, then do clean-boot
troubleshooting to see which program/process is the culprit:

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

D. If you need more information, here is an excellent shutdown
troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Standard caveat: If troubleshooting the issue is too difficult - and
there is absolutely no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea -
take the machine to a computer repair shop. This will not be your local
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get recommendations from
family, friends, colleagues.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
mikeyhsd

Re: Shut down problem
normally in the EVENT logs there should be entries to tell you what is stopping/delaying the computer from shutting down.
take a scan through the event logs.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com