ready boost evaluation

Robert J. Lafayette

ready boost evaluation
Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory DDM installed.

Desktop computer, 320GB hdd. Brand new.

Added a 2gb pen drive in an extra USB 2.0 port on back of computer which
indicates when I look at drive (right click> properties> ready boost) that
ready boost is activated, cache set at 1810 mb, the maximum suggested by
ready boost.

Yet, in Vista welcome center, only 1.87 GB ram shows.

How can I evaluate Ready Boost pen drive's addition to computer performance?

Freeware???

Thanks in advance,
Robert

John Barnett MVP

Re: ready boost evaluation
Readyboost is going to 'add' any extra memory to your system statistics.
Vista uses readyboost as a kind of page file because the memory available on
the pen drive is faster than that of the hard drive. To be honest, with 2GB
of RAM already installed I doubt you will notice any increase in performance
of your machine. readyboost was actually designed for users with the minimum
amount of memory, i.e., 512MB to 1GB. I have 2GB RAM on my machine and have
never noticed any performance increase by using readyboost.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory DDM installed.
>
> Desktop computer, 320GB hdd. Brand new.
>
> Added a 2gb pen drive in an extra USB 2.0 port on back of computer which
> indicates when I look at drive (right click> properties> ready boost) that
> ready boost is activated, cache set at 1810 mb, the maximum suggested by
> ready boost.
>
> Yet, in Vista welcome center, only 1.87 GB ram shows.
>
> How can I evaluate Ready Boost pen drive's addition to computer
> performance?
>
> Freeware???
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Robert

Robert J. Lafayette

Re: ready boost evaluation

Thanks for your honest evaluation.
Do you suggest I then take out the pen drive and use it for other purposes?

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
newsB068CA3-7296-4D2D-A0A4-F46CFA0DE520@microsoft.com...
> Readyboost is going to 'add' any extra memory to your system statistics.
> Vista uses readyboost as a kind of page file because the memory available
> on the pen drive is faster than that of the hard drive. To be honest, with
> 2GB of RAM already installed I doubt you will notice any increase in
> performance of your machine. readyboost was actually designed for users
> with the minimum amount of memory, i.e., 512MB to 1GB. I have 2GB RAM on
> my machine and have never noticed any performance increase by using
> readyboost.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory DDM installed.
>>
>> Desktop computer, 320GB hdd. Brand new.
>>
>> Added a 2gb pen drive in an extra USB 2.0 port on back of computer which
>> indicates when I look at drive (right click> properties> ready boost)
>> that ready boost is activated, cache set at 1810 mb, the maximum
>> suggested by ready boost.
>>
>> Yet, in Vista welcome center, only 1.87 GB ram shows.
>>
>> How can I evaluate Ready Boost pen drive's addition to computer
>> performance?
>>
>> Freeware???
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>> Robert

John Barnett MVP

Re: ready boost evaluation
My honest opinion, Robert, is Yes take the pen drive out and use it for an
alternative purpose. You have more than enough system RAM available. As I
said I have 2GB RAM on my system and even when using Photoshop I am only
using 40 to 50% of my available RAM. Okay it is a Intel Core2 Duo processor
which helps with labour intensive applications. Had you have had less RAM
(say 512MB or 1GB) my answer would have been different, but as it is you
would do better without readyboost.

> Thanks for your honest evaluation.
> Do you suggest I then take out the pen drive and use it for other
> purposes?

> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> newsB068CA3-7296-4D2D-A0A4-F46CFA0DE520@microsoft.com...
>> Readyboost is going to 'add' any extra memory to your system statistics.
>> Vista uses readyboost as a kind of page file because the memory available
>> on the pen drive is faster than that of the hard drive. To be honest,
>> with 2GB of RAM already installed I doubt you will notice any increase in
>> performance of your machine. readyboost was actually designed for users
>> with the minimum amount of memory, i.e., 512MB to 1GB. I have 2GB RAM on
>> my machine and have never noticed any performance increase by using
>> readyboost.

>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> Windows - Shell/User
>>
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
>> this mail/post..
>>
>> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory DDM installed.
>>>
>>> Desktop computer, 320GB hdd. Brand new.
>>>
>>> Added a 2gb pen drive in an extra USB 2.0 port on back of computer which
>>> indicates when I look at drive (right click> properties> ready boost)
>>> that ready boost is activated, cache set at 1810 mb, the maximum
>>> suggested by ready boost.
>>>
>>> Yet, in Vista welcome center, only 1.87 GB ram shows.
>>>
>>> How can I evaluate Ready Boost pen drive's addition to computer
>>> performance?
>>>
>>> Freeware???
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Robert

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: ready boost evaluation
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:51:56 -0500, "Robert J. Lafayette"
<xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote:

> Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory DDM installed.
>
> Desktop computer, 320GB hdd. Brand new.
>
> Added a 2gb pen drive in an extra USB 2.0 port on back of computer which
> indicates when I look at drive (right click> properties> ready boost) that
> ready boost is activated, cache set at 1810 mb, the maximum suggested by
> ready boost.
>
> Yet, in Vista welcome center, only 1.87 GB ram shows.

That 1.87GB is apparently the amount of RAM you have, less the amount
that's used for on-motherboard video support. ReadyBoost does *not*
increase that number. It doesn't act as RAM, but serves as an
additional RAM *cache*. Read here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...eadyboost.mspx
or http://tinyurl.com/257gf3

> How can I evaluate Ready Boost pen drive's addition to computer performance?

With the 2GB of RAM you have, ReadyBoost is unlikely to make a
significant difference in performance to you. It mostly helps those
who have lesser amounts of RAM. I also have 2GB of RAM here, tried
ReadyBoost, decided that it did nothing for me, and stopped using it.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Dwarf

RE: ready boost evaluation
Hi Robert,

The only time where Ready Boost comes into its own is when you have a lot of
applications open at the same time and are making heavy use of the page file.
This is especially true if you are running Vista with the minimum recommended
amount of memory. The ready boost file is basically an encrypted version of
some of the most recent data in the page file with the advantage of being
accessible quicker than the same data on hard disk, especially for random
access. Sequential access to data is still from the hard drive as flash
devices do not perform as well with this type of access. Note that Ready
Boost does not replace the page file, rather it supplements it. It does not
add to system RAM in any way whatsoever, the only way to do that would be to
add physical RAM to your system. This is why your memory in the Welcome
Center is still shown as it is - the value here is the physical working RAM
in your system which is the total amount of RAM less certain system overheads
such as shared memory. The best way of improving system response is to make
sure that you have enough physical RAM in your machine - 2GB should be
sufficient for most users.
Dwarf

"Robert J. Lafayette" wrote:

> Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory DDM installed.
>
> Desktop computer, 320GB hdd. Brand new.
>
> Added a 2gb pen drive in an extra USB 2.0 port on back of computer which
> indicates when I look at drive (right click> properties> ready boost) that
> ready boost is activated, cache set at 1810 mb, the maximum suggested by
> ready boost.
>
> Yet, in Vista welcome center, only 1.87 GB ram shows.
>
> How can I evaluate Ready Boost pen drive's addition to computer performance?
>
> Freeware???
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Robert

Victek

Re: ready boost evaluation
> Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory DDM installed.
>
> Desktop computer, 320GB hdd. Brand new.
>
> Added a 2gb pen drive in an extra USB 2.0 port on back of computer which
> indicates when I look at drive (right click> properties> ready boost) that
> ready boost is activated, cache set at 1810 mb, the maximum suggested by
> ready boost.
>
> Yet, in Vista welcome center, only 1.87 GB ram shows.
>
> How can I evaluate Ready Boost pen drive's addition to computer
> performance?

In my experience ReadyBoost (RB) actually decreases performance initially
because every time the computer boots the ReadyBoost cache is rebuilt - a
great deal of data needs to be written to the pen drive and that takes CPU
cycles. After the initial performance hit I didn't notice any benefit on my
2 gig system using RB.

Robert J. Lafayette

Re: ready boost evaluation

Thanks, as I too have a dual core 2.1GHz AMD System.

I am amore than basic user with no need for hi power software.
Most powerful is probably WINDOWS and ancillary built in software and
WordPerfect x3.

Advice taken and done.

Thank you again,
Robert.

> My honest opinion, Robert, is Yes take the pen drive out and use it for an
> alternative purpose. You have more than enough system RAM available. As I
> said I have 2GB RAM on my system and even when using Photoshop I am only
> using 40 to 50% of my available RAM. Okay it is a Intel Core2 Duo
> processor which helps with labour intensive applications. Had you have had
> less RAM (say 512MB or 1GB) my answer would have been different, but as it
> is you would do better without readyboost.

> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>> Thanks for your honest evaluation.
>> Do you suggest I then take out the pen drive and use it for other
>> purposes?

>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> newsB068CA3-7296-4D2D-A0A4-F46CFA0DE520@microsoft.com...
>>> Readyboost is going to 'add' any extra memory to your system statistics.
>>> Vista uses readyboost as a kind of page file because the memory
>>> available on the pen drive is faster than that of the hard drive. To be
>>> honest, with 2GB of RAM already installed I doubt you will notice any
>>> increase in performance of your machine. readyboost was actually
>>> designed for users with the minimum amount of memory, i.e., 512MB to
>>> 1GB. I have 2GB RAM on my machine and have never noticed any performance
>>> increase by using readyboost.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> John Barnett MVP
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Windows - Shell/User
>>>
>>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>>>
>>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
>>> any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
>>> accuracy, reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not
>>> be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
>>> arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions
>>> expressed in this mail/post..

Spirit

Re: ready boost evaluation
Where ReadyBoost "might" give you some speed improvement is when you are
LEAST
likely to notice it. Lots of applications open, or a lot of repetitive disk
accessing.... another
factor that many forget is how fast a thumbdrive they have. My 2 gig system
using a very
fast thunmb drive does get a noticeable performance gain when using
ReadyBoost, especially
at times when I can use the extra power.

"Robert J. Lafayette" <xyz1234@msn.invalid> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory DDM installed.
>
> Desktop computer, 320GB hdd. Brand new.
>
> Added a 2gb pen drive in an extra USB 2.0 port on back of computer which
> indicates when I look at drive (right click> properties> ready boost) that
> ready boost is activated, cache set at 1810 mb, the maximum suggested by
> ready boost.
>
> Yet, in Vista welcome center, only 1.87 GB ram shows.
>
> How can I evaluate Ready Boost pen drive's addition to computer
> performance?
>
> Freeware???
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Robert