New sfc /scannow Error

HMT

New sfc /scannow Error
There was a bug reported here in sfc.exe (sfc /scannow at command prompt)
Nov. 27, 2007 at the following Microsoft Discussion Group link:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...g=en&cr=US&p=1

This bug is not limited to a software conflict with KB941600 as noted in the
link above. I ran sfc.exe after three Vista re-installations: (1) with no
Windows updates, (2) with all Windows updates and (3) with all Windows
updates except KB941600. In all three cases, sfc.exe stops at 99% and
reports: "Verification 99% complete. Windows Resource Protection found
corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Examination of the cbs.log
file revealed no files listed as corrupt or missing as described in KB928228
or KB929833. In other reported cases from Google search, sfc.exe stopped at
99%, 98% and 68% with cbs.log reports of files missing or corrupt that could
not be fixed. In some cases, files were listed as missing or corrupt in
cbs.log. In other cases, there were none listed even though they were
reported as such in the command prompt summary.

This is a very important program in my opinion and one that was able to
repair several Windows XP installations in my past experience as a
hardware/software tech. Please try and get a fix for this issue ASAP. If I
can help troubleshoot this further, like providing my cbs.log files, please
advise.

Marko

RE: New sfc /scannow Error
My Sony VGN AR Series Notebook crashed frequently (4x day) in Office 2007 and
other apps like Adobe Photoshop. SFC reports errors. I have wasted many
many hours trying to resolve this problem.

Saving a mpeg in quicktime crashed the OS with a blue screen. I spent many
hours on the phone with Microsoft paid 2nd level support. their diagnosis is
that my OS was corrupt. I reinstalled a clean OS (Vista 32 - home premium)
and encountered the exact same problems. I went to best buy and ran several
new laptops (HP, Dell, Sony,.. 64bit & 32bit - some with service pack 1) and
each PC had the exact same error.

After Microsoft closed my case, I reopened it and the frustrated engineer
then told me that HP, Sony, Dell had all corrupted the OS with their
propriatary drivers. Sounds far fetched, but even so, this is a disaster.
MY OEM cannot fix my Laptop and Microsoft has not fixed their Vista OS. I
have a hardware RAID on the MOBO and cannot load XP without the RAID driver.

Microsoft needs to correct the problem and not blame others. With SP1
available and this issue not corrected, I have to wonder what they have been
doing for the last year. How about less bells & whistles and providing an OS
that works correctly.

***
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 99% complete.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files
but wa
s unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
***

"HMT" wrote:

> There was a bug reported here in sfc.exe (sfc /scannow at command prompt)
> Nov. 27, 2007 at the following Microsoft Discussion Group link:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...g=en&cr=US&p=1
>
> This bug is not limited to a software conflict with KB941600 as noted in the
> link above. I ran sfc.exe after three Vista re-installations: (1) with no
> Windows updates, (2) with all Windows updates and (3) with all Windows
> updates except KB941600. In all three cases, sfc.exe stops at 99% and
> reports: "Verification 99% complete. Windows Resource Protection found
> corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Examination of the cbs.log
> file revealed no files listed as corrupt or missing as described in KB928228
> or KB929833. In other reported cases from Google search, sfc.exe stopped at
> 99%, 98% and 68% with cbs.log reports of files missing or corrupt that could
> not be fixed. In some cases, files were listed as missing or corrupt in
> cbs.log. In other cases, there were none listed even though they were
> reported as such in the command prompt summary.
>
> This is a very important program in my opinion and one that was able to
> repair several Windows XP installations in my past experience as a
> hardware/software tech. Please try and get a fix for this issue ASAP. If I
> can help troubleshoot this further, like providing my cbs.log files, please
> advise.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: New sfc /scannow Error
Hello,
Hmm I posted on this several times, don't see my response in this thread
If you are getting that sfc error at 99% and there is nothing in the
cbs.log file, the error is reporting on the removal of some driver files
from a temp folder which would not cause an OS issue, other than this error
being reported. This error should go away with the installation of
Windows Vista SP1.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: =?Utf-8?B?SE1U?= <HMT@discussions.microsoft.com>
|> Subject: New sfc /scannow Error
|> Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:45:03 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
|>
|> There was a bug reported here in sfc.exe (sfc /scannow at command
prompt)
|> Nov. 27, 2007 at the following Microsoft Discussion Group link:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...aspx?dg=micros
oft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance&t id=d0bce3ad-c992-4f2b-8a6f
-5651915fbad5&cat=en_US_9CA88DDB-D18D-FA0E-A366-6E527B0FBA67&lang=en&cr=US&p
=1

|> This bug is not limited to a software conflict with KB941600 as noted in
the
|> link above. I ran sfc.exe after three Vista re-installations: (1) with
no
|> Windows updates, (2) with all Windows updates and (3) with all Windows
|> updates except KB941600. In all three cases, sfc.exe stops at 99% and
|> reports: "Verification 99% complete. Windows Resource Protection found
|> corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Examination of the
cbs.log
|> file revealed no files listed as corrupt or missing as described in
KB928228
|> or KB929833. In other reported cases from Google search, sfc.exe stopped
at
|> 99%, 98% and 68% with cbs.log reports of files missing or corrupt that
could
|> not be fixed. In some cases, files were listed as missing or corrupt in
|> cbs.log. In other cases, there were none listed even though they were
|> reported as such in the command prompt summary.
|>
|> This is a very important program in my opinion and one that was able to
|> repair several Windows XP installations in my past experience as a
|> hardware/software tech. Please try and get a fix for this issue ASAP. If
|> can help troubleshoot this further, like providing my cbs.log files,
please
|> advise.

scott dusk is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RE: New sfc /scannow Error
I installed Windows Vista SP1 and it DID NOT fix the problem. So far 4 hours with Microsoft and no solution. My problem is with these updates it has totally messed up Quickbooks 2007. I cant even access the program. They have a splash page for it but its the same stuff we have been doing that everyone has:
At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow and then press ENTER.
and the error is the same AFTER the Vista SP1 fix.

Windows resource found corrupt files but we are unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Does anyone have a solution yet? I have been scouring the boards but everyone is coming up empty.
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: New sfc /scannow Error
"scott dusk" <scott.dusk.394y0g@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:scott.dusk.394y0g@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I installed Windows Vista SP1 and it DID NOT fix the problem. So far 4
> hours with Microsoft and no solution. My problem is with these updates
> it has totally messed up Quickbooks 2007. I cant even access the
> program. They have a splash page for it but its the same stuff we have
> been doing that everyone has:
> At the command prompt, type *sfc /scannow* and then press *ENTER*.
> and the error is the same AFTER the Vista SP1 fix.
>
> Windows resource found corrupt files but we are unable to
> fix some of them.
> Details are included in the CBS.Log
> windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
> C\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
>
> Does anyone have a solution yet? I have been scouring the
> boards but everyone is coming up empty.
>

> --
> scott dusk

Perhaps you should spend time with the QuickBooks support community..

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com...atibility.aspx

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

scott dusk is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quickbooks community is not the answer which I already stated
Spending time in the quickbooks community doesnt solve the problem I posted. My thread already said that quickbooks splash page gives us the same instructions that Vista says which is run sfc /scannow.
Like I stated before you still get the same error message
Windows resource found corrupt files but we are unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Service Pack 1 does not fix this problem and quickbooks cant solve a Vista problem, it has to do with one of the updates they sent me. The problem is figuring out which one ( Im leaning towards a hotfix usb ) and then trying to figure out how to delete it.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: New sfc /scannow Error
"scott dusk" <scott.dusk.3957s5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:scott.dusk.3957s5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Spending time in the quickbooks community doesnt solve the problem I
> posted. My thread already said that quickbooks splash page gives us the
> same instructions that Vista says which is run *sfc /scannow.
> *Like I stated before you still get the same error message
> Windows resource found corrupt files but we are unable to
> fix some of them.
> Details are included in the CBS.Log
> windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
> C\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
>

> Service Pack 1 does not fix this problem and quickbooks cant solve a
> Vista problem, it has to do with one of the updates they sent me. The
> problem is figuring out which one ( Im leaning towards a hotfix usb )
> and then trying to figure out how to delete it.
>

> --
> scott dusk

This may help you identify what is not being repaired..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..