Re: Vista, IE7 , can have multiple windows open?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Vista, IE7 , can have multiple windows open?
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"CLESTER2" <CLESTER2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A20337A-7C71-42BD-8A3A-2377BB9C7965@microsoft.com...
> my problem,
> Just purchased my wife a e1705 dual core 1.86 2 gig ram, 120 gig hd vista
> home premium system, this is for her personal / fun computer, here is the
> problem
> she opens 2 yahoo chat windows, then will open 4 IE7 windows, total of 6
> open windows, if she wants to open anything after that, like a folder on the
> desktop, or another ie7 window, or chat window, anything, it won't allow the
> window to open unless she closes one of the other already open windows,

This could be an issue with heap space. Here are two articles about that

http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/ar...-overview.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/ar...ap-part-2.aspx

(Live Search for
heap limit vista site:blogs.msdn.com
)

Notice that in the first one there is much moaning by Vista users about
their symptom not being addressed by the article. ; )

The second article at least gives some facts about the other OS.
In the comments on the second article you can find this comment:

<quote>
In that case, I wonder why it hasn't been increased at all from XP to Vista (32 anyway).
</quote>

Perhaps that implies you could use some of the tips that were given by
XP users who managed to avoid the same symptom?

BTW you may get a more informed answer from a newsgroup which specializes
in performance for your OS. Cross-posting for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> this system has Avast anti-virus, Adaware, spyware blaster, virus scans done
> and ad-ware scans done, all updates loaded, ... i have read on this and other
> boards that 40 - 50 windows is possible, .... what have i not turned off that
> is limiting this.
> thanks
> chris

gkersale

Re: Vista, IE7 , can have multiple windows open?
Robert ,

I had a look to your HEAP reference. It is perhaps the source of the
problem, but it is not easy to understand.

What I did observed on my VAIO/VISTA/IE7 2GB Memory:
- After reaching the 1 Gb in memory used, all VISTA is not responding to
new request (process manager doesn't display any process, TaskMgr
does mix different screens, IE7 doesn't allow new windows to be opened,
.... until you close previous ones !!
- Maximum memory usage displayed is about 1.07 GB
- When I close some of IE7/other programs, I am able to open new programs
(and this time the memory has no limit of 1GB)

Hope it will help you in identifying the error encountered by CLESTER2

On my side, I don't open anymore my Vista computer, and only use the
XP one :-( which works better with 512 Mb than my vista with 2 GB ...

Everybody could try this: open up to 15 IE7 (24 on some other computers)

After a while, you only have blank pages, right click doesn't work any more,
and taskmgr does mix its 5 different screens when you tab on it.

In the same way, network could be "stopped", ie does not respond any more.

The only solution is to close some of the opened windows, then
everything is working fine again.

Vista seems to be for expert developers only. It took me 5 minutes to
have this problem on my new vista computer. Now I don't use it anymore
because I don't want to be working on windows bugs during hours, just
to display a PNG image, or be able to navigate in more than 10 windows.

Regards,
Geoffrey KERSALE.