Cannot set virtual memory Vista Home Premium

GregC

Cannot set virtual memory Vista Home Premium
I noticed that my virtual memory is set to no pagefile?
I've tried setting it to custom, system managed, etc..
I always click the "set" button and it will show what I change it to if I
set a custom size.

When I reboot and go back to the settings, it is back to No Pagefile?
R. C. White

Re: Cannot set virtual memory Vista Home Premium
Hi, Greg.

Please tell us, step by step, HOW you change your virtual memory size.

A few details about your system might help us understand the problem and
help you, too. Make and model of your computer, or of the motherboard if
you built it yourself? How much RAM? Hard drive configuration? (You DO
have plenty of space for a paging file, right?) What does Disk Management
say about a paging file?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"GregC" <GregC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I noticed that my virtual memory is set to no pagefile?
> I've tried setting it to custom, system managed, etc..
> I always click the "set" button and it will show what I change it to if I
> set a custom size.
>
> When I reboot and go back to the settings, it is back to No Pagefile?

GregC

Re: Cannot set virtual memory Vista Home Premium
I guess that would be helpful..lol

I have a eMachines T5224, 2gb of ram, ST3250820AS 220+GB HD
I have 145gb free on the C drive.

Disk Mgt status: Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump,
Primary Partition)

It appears there is a pagefile but I don't understand why I can't modify it
to custom or system managed?

If I change the setting to say custom, I fill in the initial and max sizes,
press the Set button, and reboot. Go look again and it's back to No paging
file? Same happens if I choose System managed size?

Thanks
Greg

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Greg.
>
> Please tell us, step by step, HOW you change your virtual memory size.
>
> A few details about your system might help us understand the problem and
> help you, too. Make and model of your computer, or of the motherboard if
> you built it yourself? How much RAM? Hard drive configuration? (You DO
> have plenty of space for a paging file, right?) What does Disk Management
> say about a paging file?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "GregC" <GregC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I noticed that my virtual memory is set to no pagefile?
> > I've tried setting it to custom, system managed, etc..
> > I always click the "set" button and it will show what I change it to if I
> > set a custom size.
> >
> > When I reboot and go back to the settings, it is back to No Pagefile?

R. C. White

Re: Cannot set virtual memory Vista Home Premium
Hi, Greg.

You didn't answer my first question:

>> Please tell us, step by step, HOW you change your virtual memory size.

I expected something like:
Start | Control Panel | System | Advanced System Settings | Continue |
(password) | Advanced tab | Performance/Settings | Advanced | Change.

(Yeah, I know it's a long click-path and that a couple of steps can be
shortened, but we need to be sure that we are on the same page.)

Here, on this window titled "Virtual Memory", is where the settings are
made. It sounds like this is where you were. This page has a checkbox that
was not available in WinXP: At the very top we can check to "Automatically
manage paging file size for all drives". If we check this box, all the
others are greyed out and no further entries are required or possible. If
we remove this check, we must then specify the settings for each "drive",
and click Set for each one. Whichever way we choose, then we must "OK" all
the way back to the Desktop, including the window that says the changes
won't happen until we Restart the computer.

We can't check "No paging file" unless we remove the check from Automatic.
If we do that and click Set, we get a dire warning that this is not a good
idea and forcing us to check Yes or No to continue. Are you seeing that
warning?

WHERE are you seeing the "No paging file" message? Here on this settings
page, or somewhere else?

Your Disk Management says your Drive C: includes the Page File status. If
you show Hidden files, can you see the size of that file? It should be
larger than your installed RAM; with 4 GB, my automatically-managed
C:\pagefile.sys is 4,608,110,592 bytes, plus G:\pagefile.sys with another
3,932,160,000 bytes. In an Administrator:Command Prompt
window, type:
dir c:\ /a
This should show you ALL files in the Root of C:, no matter what Attributes
(Hidden, System, etc.) may be set.

A picture of my Virtual Memory window is attached. (I'm running the beta of
Vista SP1, so it may be slightly changed from RTM, but I don't think so.)
Does yours look like this?

RC
--

> I guess that would be helpful..lol
>
> I have a eMachines T5224, 2gb of ram, ST3250820AS 220+GB HD
> I have 145gb free on the C drive.
>
> Disk Mgt status: Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump,
> Primary Partition)
>
> It appears there is a pagefile but I don't understand why I can't modify
> it
> to custom or system managed?
>
> If I change the setting to say custom, I fill in the initial and max
> sizes,
> press the Set button, and reboot. Go look again and it's back to No paging
> file? Same happens if I choose System managed size?
>
> Thanks
> Greg
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Greg.
>>
>> Please tell us, step by step, HOW you change your virtual memory size.
>>
>> A few details about your system might help us understand the problem and
>> help you, too. Make and model of your computer, or of the motherboard if
>> you built it yourself? How much RAM? Hard drive configuration? (You DO
>> have plenty of space for a paging file, right?) What does Disk
>> Management
>> say about a paging file?
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "GregC" <GregC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I noticed that my virtual memory is set to no pagefile?
>> > I've tried setting it to custom, system managed, etc..
>> > I always click the "set" button and it will show what I change it to if
>> > set a custom size.
>> >
>> > When I reboot and go back to the settings, it is back to No Pagefile?

GregC

Re: Cannot set virtual memory Vista Home Premium
OK, I change the settings exactly how you posted.
Problem is solved now and here is the issue!

I had the user account control turned off. Even though I was logged on with
an Administrator account, Vista will not change those settings even though it
appears to change.

Apparently this is something in Vista that may not be known yet?
The way I see it is If I was logged on with an Admin account I should be
able to change those settings, but with UAC turned off it's not possible..

Thanks
GregC

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]

> > file? Same happens if I choose System managed size?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Greg
> >
> > "R. C. White" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, Greg.
> >>
> >> Please tell us, step by step, HOW you change your virtual memory size.
> >>
> >> A few details about your system might help us understand the problem and
> >> help you, too. Make and model of your computer, or of the motherboard if
> >> you built it yourself? How much RAM? Hard drive configuration? (You DO
> >> have plenty of space for a paging file, right?) What does Disk
> >> Management
> >> say about a paging file?
> >>
> >> RC

R. C. White

Re: Cannot set virtual memory Vista Home Premium

Aha! I never thought of that. Thanks for the feedback.

This situation is sometimes referred to as two levels of Administrator. For
some jobs, even AN administrator must Run as (THE) Administrator.

During the first week or so after installing Vista, UAC can cause a lot of
frustrations! That's when we are configuring Vista and installing a lot of
applications and it seems that we have to put in the password every time we
try to do anything. This was especially true during the Vista beta, when we
were installing new builds every month or two and had to go through those
early tasks all over again. Many of us turned off UAC during those times.
But within a week or so after installing Vista RTM a year ago, I turned UAC
back on and it seldom bothers me now. Just when I need to do something
serious - like change the page file. And then the requirement to furnish
the password just reminds me that I need to watch my step here. And I like
that some rogue malware is not going to be able to change my settings
without my knowing it.

RC
--

> [...]

>> Does yours look like this?
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "GregC" <GregC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I guess that would be helpful..lol
>> >
>> > I have a eMachines T5224, 2gb of ram, ST3250820AS 220+GB HD
>> > I have 145gb free on the C drive.
>> >
>> > Disk Mgt status: Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump,
>> > Primary Partition)
>> >
>> > It appears there is a pagefile but I don't understand why I can't
>> > modify
>> > it
>> > to custom or system managed?
>> >
>> > If I change the setting to say custom, I fill in the initial and max
>> > sizes,
>> > press the Set button, and reboot. Go look again and it's back to No
>> > paging
>> > file? Same happens if I choose System managed size?

GregC

Re: Cannot set virtual memory Vista Home Premium
Well thanks for the help, even though I figured it out on my own..lol
BTW, I used to be NT network admin while I was in the Navy.. I'm pretty good
with computers just can't find a job doing it because of the required degrees
etc..

GregC