Folders - read-only

Michelle

Folders - read-only
I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP (IE7). I
didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista.

Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says they
are read-only.

When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square
(mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept the
prompt which says that it will apply to files and sub-folders.

But when I go to use them they are still read-only, and when I look at their
properties, they are unchanged - still flagged with mixed content. And I
still can't organise or add to them.

What can I do to make them useable again?

thanks...

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Folders - read-only

"Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ukcgnikYIHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP (IE7). I
> didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista.
>
> Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says they
> are read-only.
>
> When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square
> (mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept the
> prompt which says that it will apply to files and sub-folders.
>
> But when I go to use them they are still read-only, and when I look at their
> properties, they are unchanged - still flagged with mixed content. And I
> still can't organise or add to them.
>
> What can I do to make them useable again?
>
> thanks...

Possible....

Try opening the folder and "select all" then go through the same proceedure
changing the properties of all of the selected files. Also, there may be some
hidden system files in these folders that you can't readily see.

Paul Adare

Re: Folders - read-only
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:29:10 -0000, Michelle wrote:

> I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP (IE7). I
> didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista.
>
> Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says they
> are read-only.
>
> When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square
> (mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept the
> prompt which says that it will apply to files and sub-folders.
>
> But when I go to use them they are still read-only, and when I look at their
> properties, they are unchanged - still flagged with mixed content. And I
> still can't organise or add to them.
>
> What can I do to make them useable again?

Your problem is not the Read only file attribute on the folder. Read this
article for more details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

More than likely you have an NTFS permissions problem on the folder. What
are the permissions on the folder in question and where exactly is the
folder located?

BTW - you've cross-posted this question excessively. I've set follow-ups to
this post to go only to the vista.security group.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Virtual Machines
Max

Re: Folders - read-only
It's likely a 'permissions' thing.
Files/folders copied from another machine or Windows install do not 'belong'
to the Vista system or user--they are flagged with previous ownership and
therefore are limited in what can be done with them.
Take Ownership of the files/folders and you should be fine.
Here is an easy way:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...menu-in-vista/

--
Maxwell Bluemeanie
"Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP (IE7).
>I didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista.
>
> Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says they
> are read-only.
>
> When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square
> (mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept the
> prompt which says that it will apply to files and sub-folders.
>
> But when I go to use them they are still read-only, and when I look at
> their properties, they are unchanged - still flagged with mixed content.
> And I still can't organise or add to them.
>
> What can I do to make them useable again?
>
> thanks...

Mr. Arnold

Re: Folders - read-only

"Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP (IE7).
>I didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista.
>
> Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says they
> are read-only.
>
> When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square
> (mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept the
> prompt which says that it will apply to files and sub-folders.
>
> But when I go to use them they are still read-only, and when I look at
> their properties, they are unchanged - still flagged with mixed content.
> And I still can't organise or add to them.
>
> What can I do to make them useable again?

There is no such thing as a read-only folder. That check-box for read-only
at the folder level means nothing, it's just cosmetics.

I hear you have to take ownership of the folder in this situation. You have
an user-account permission issue.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Folders - read-only

"Max" <max@home.com> wrote in message news:u7EFvOmYIHA.6140@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> It's likely a 'permissions' thing.
> Files/folders copied from another machine or Windows install do not 'belong'
> to the Vista system or user--they are flagged with previous ownership and
> therefore are limited in what can be done with them.
> Take Ownership of the files/folders and you should be fine.
> Here is an easy way:
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...menu-in-vista/

Nice tip, thanks...

More evidence as to why VISTA is less than ready for prime time.

> --
> Maxwell Bluemeanie
> "Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP (IE7).
> >I didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista.
> >
> > Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says they
> > are read-only.
> >
> > When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square
> > (mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept the
> > prompt which says that it will apply to files and sub-folders.
> >
> > But when I go to use them they are still read-only, and when I look at
> > their properties, they are unchanged - still flagged with mixed content.
> > And I still can't organise or add to them.
> >
> > What can I do to make them useable again?
> >
> > thanks...

Robinb

Re: Folders - read-only
lol it is waiting for Windows 7 to come out in 2009
robin
"David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message

> "Max" <max@home.com> wrote in message
>> It's likely a 'permissions' thing.
>> Files/folders copied from another machine or Windows install do not
>> 'belong'
>> to the Vista system or user--they are flagged with previous ownership and
>> therefore are limited in what can be done with them.
>> Take Ownership of the files/folders and you should be fine.
>> Here is an easy way:
>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...menu-in-vista/

> Nice tip, thanks...
>
> More evidence as to why VISTA is less than ready for prime time.
>

>> --
>> Maxwell Bluemeanie
>> "Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP
>> >(IE7).
>> >I didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista.
>> >
>> > Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says
>> > they
>> > are read-only.
>> >
>> > When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square
>> > (mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept
>> > the
>> > prompt which says that it will apply to files and sub-folders.
>> >
>> > But when I go to use them they are still read-only, and when I look at
>> > their properties, they are unchanged - still flagged with mixed
>> > content.
>> > And I still can't organise or add to them.
>> >
>> > What can I do to make them useable again?
>> >
>> > thanks...

Rick Rogers

Re: Folders - read-only
Has nothing to do with Vista, it's a permissions issue associated with the
creator/owner of a folder. Same thing existed in XP, 2K, and NT before it.
Folders created in another operating system have to be taken over by the
owner of the different operating system when migrated. This is an inherent
part of any NT system, as opposed to the 9x line where security was pretty
much non-existent.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message

> "Max" <max@home.com> wrote in message
>> It's likely a 'permissions' thing.
>> Files/folders copied from another machine or Windows install do not
>> 'belong'
>> to the Vista system or user--they are flagged with previous ownership and
>> therefore are limited in what can be done with them.
>> Take Ownership of the files/folders and you should be fine.
>> Here is an easy way:
>> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...menu-in-vista/

> Nice tip, thanks...
>
> More evidence as to why VISTA is less than ready for prime time.
>

>> --
>> Maxwell Bluemeanie
>> "Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have copied all my internet favourites folders in from Windows XP
>> >(IE7).
>> >I didn't use a password in XP and still don't in Vista.
>> >
>> > Now, I can't organise or add-to any of the folders in Vista. It says
>> > they
>> > are read-only.
>> >
>> > When I display the properties of the folders, they have a green square
>> > (mixed content) in the read-only tick-box. I switch it off and accept
>> > the
>> > prompt which says that it will apply to files and sub-folders.
>> >
>> > But when I go to use them they are still read-only, and when I look at
>> > their properties, they are unchanged - still flagged with mixed
>> > content.
>> > And I still can't organise or add to them.
>> >
>> > What can I do to make them useable again?
>> >
>> > thanks...

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Folders - read-only

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%232wKc0tYIHA.5208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...'

> Has nothing to do with Vista, it's a permissions issue associated with the
> creator/owner of a folder. Same thing existed in XP, 2K, and NT before it.
> Folders created in another operating system have to be taken over by the
> owner of the different operating system when migrated. This is an inherent
> part of any NT system, as opposed to the 9x line where security was pretty
> much non-existent.

OK.... At first I started to rant and disagree.... then I realized I have *never*
used a "migrate" function in any shape for or fashion. I simply transfer files
and settings by copying.

So... If I copy a CD full of files to VISTA from an XP PC, this 'issue' is non-existant?

> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "David Morgan (MAMS)" <findme@m-a-m-s.comC/Odm> wrote in message
> >
> > "Max" <max@home.com> wrote in message
> >> It's likely a 'permissions' thing.
> >> Files/folders copied from another machine or Windows install do not
> >> 'belong'
> >> to the Vista system or user--they are flagged with previous ownership and
> >> therefore are limited in what can be done with them.
> >> Take Ownership of the files/folders and you should be fine.
> >> Here is an easy way:
> >> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...menu-in-vista/

> > Nice tip, thanks...
> >
> > More evidence as to why VISTA is less than ready for prime time.
> >

> >> --
> >> Maxwell Bluemeanie

Rick Rogers

Re: Folders - read-only
No, it'd still be the same. In an NT system, the creator/owner is the only
account to automatically have full access to a folder. When migrated to
another installation, the permissions on that folder must be altered by the
user to match the user account on the target installation.