Sudden Blank Screen on Laptop

jcc

Sudden Blank Screen on Laptop
Hello, i have a basic Toshiba laptop "new" with the basic Windows Vista on
it. For some reason every so often, about twice a day, the screen will
suddenly go blank. I can still hear music that im playing or whatever, but
the screen is blank and the only way to clear it is to manually push the
power button to restart the computer. All i use the laptop for is itunes and
surfing the web, checking emails. it has never been dropped. its sits on a
desk and doesnt move. if anyone could offer any adivce that would be greatly
appreciated.
Spirit

Re: Sudden Blank Screen on Laptop
Sounds like it going into Sleep Mode or Hibernate.

Check your model's manual for how to Resume from Sleep and/or Hibernate

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...su_sc_home.jsp

BTW pressing the Power Button on most models WAKES it from Hibernation
which is what you are doing. If you have closed the Lid and it goes into
Hibernation
then opening the Lid "usually" wakes it up from Hibernation.

"jcc" <jcc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, i have a basic Toshiba laptop "new" with the basic Windows Vista on
> it. For some reason every so often, about twice a day, the screen will
> suddenly go blank. I can still hear music that im playing or whatever, but
> the screen is blank and the only way to clear it is to manually push the
> power button to restart the computer. All i use the laptop for is itunes
> and
> surfing the web, checking emails. it has never been dropped. its sits on a
> desk and doesnt move. if anyone could offer any adivce that would be
> greatly
> appreciated.

crazylynn

RE: Sudden Blank Screen on Laptop
jcc - I also have a one month old Toshiba A210 laptop and am having exactly
the same problem. I intend to go back to the dealer to find out what's going
on. This is very annoying/disappointing.
--
crazylynn

"jcc" wrote:

> Hello, i have a basic Toshiba laptop "new" with the basic Windows Vista on
> it. For some reason every so often, about twice a day, the screen will
> suddenly go blank. I can still hear music that im playing or whatever, but
> the screen is blank and the only way to clear it is to manually push the
> power button to restart the computer. All i use the laptop for is itunes and
> surfing the web, checking emails. it has never been dropped. its sits on a
> desk and doesnt move. if anyone could offer any adivce that would be greatly
> appreciated.

Dwarf

RE: Sudden Blank Screen on Laptop
Hi jcc,

This has something to do with your power settings. To check this, click on
the start orb and then select 'Control Panel'. Select 'System and
Maintenance' and 'Power Options'. On the left hand side of the screen is a
list of tasks. One of these tasks is 'Choose when to turn off the display'.
Select that option. In the scroll box next to 'Turn off the display' select
whatever you wish. If you want the display to remain on then select 'Never'.
Click on 'Save changes.This saves the changes and closes this dialogue page.
Close all other windows that you opened in this procedure. Note that if you
do that your operational time on battery power will be greatly reduced as the
display consumes quite a bit of energy.
Dwarf

"jcc" wrote:

> Hello, i have a basic Toshiba laptop "new" with the basic Windows Vista on
> it. For some reason every so often, about twice a day, the screen will
> suddenly go blank. I can still hear music that im playing or whatever, but
> the screen is blank and the only way to clear it is to manually push the
> power button to restart the computer. All i use the laptop for is itunes and
> surfing the web, checking emails. it has never been dropped. its sits on a
> desk and doesnt move. if anyone could offer any adivce that would be greatly
> appreciated.

knach9676

Re: Sudden Blank Screen on Laptop

Hey Guys,
Ive been having problems identical to the ones described above. I
also have a Toshiba Satellite with Vista that I just purchased
yesterday. Its been doin the sudden blank screen thing and the only the
way to turn it back on is to totally turn off the computer and restart
it. I talked to a guy from GeekSquad and I think I got it fixed. Try
this and tell me if it works for you!

Control Panel(Classic View) > User Accounts > Turn user acount control
on or off > then uncheck that box so that it is turned off.

It appears to have worked for me, I've been listening to music and
watching videos for the past hour as a test and it hasnt failed me yet!

--
knach9676
sis1car

"jcc" wrote:

> Hello, i have a basic Toshiba laptop "new" with the basic Windows Vista on
> it. For some reason every so often, about twice a day, the screen will
> suddenly go blank. I can still hear music that im playing or whatever, but
> the screen is blank and the only way to clear it is to manually push the
> power button to restart the computer. All i use the laptop for is itunes and
> surfing the web, checking emails. it has never been dropped. its sits on a
> desk and doesnt move. if anyone could offer any adivce that would be greatly
> appreciated.

rizman is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the laptop is sleeping while in use
Toshiba P205D-S7438
Vista Home Premium

Like many of you, the computer was sleeping (black screen, must power back on) after about 5 minutes on AC power. Much longer on battery power.

Toshiba tech support was absolutely clueless. The BIOS upgrade (1.4) had no effect whatsoever.

I hesitate to claim I "fixed" it, but after going to the power settings and specifying for the computer never to sleep, it has been running for 50 minutes so far on AC.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope this helps you all end this nasty experience.

EDIT: 65 minutes on...still no black screen. Also wanted to say that in addition to the BIOS "fix" not working, neither did the often-mentioned Processor Power Management "fix", upping the min & max values from 5% to 100%, which had been mentioned on a few forums. Nor did turning off User Account Control, as another suggested. If those worked for them, great, but they did nothing for me. Good luck to all.

Last edited by rizman : 05-12-2008 at 22:02.
Klindt

Re: Sudden Blank Screen on Laptop
I found the problem on my dell Inspiron with an ATI radeon x1150 a new
driver for this card were the solution !!
"rizman" <rizman.39bfce@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> Toshiba P205D-S7438
> Vista Home Premium
>
> Like many of you, the computer was sleeping (black screen, must power
> back on) after about 5 minutes on AC power. Much longer on battery
> power.
>
> Toshiba tech support was absolutely clueless. The BIOS upgrade (1.4)
> had no effect whatsoever.
>
> I hesitate to claim I "fixed" it, but after going to the power settings
> and specifying for the computer never to sleep, it has been running for
> 50 minutes so far on AC.
>
> I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope this helps you all end this nasty
> experience.
>

> --
> rizman

rizman is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad you got a fix. I'm no computer expert, just a heavy user, and I wonder if it's common for a problem to have so many different fixes?

The weird thing for me was that the computer worked just fine until SP1 was installed. I'm not blaming it, but it seems that what started to happen after that was Vista disregarded the values that were entered for the machine sleeping. Whether you specified 25 minutes or 5000 minutes, the machine slept after 5 minutes on AC, and, what's even less useful, it slept when the machine was in use, not sitting idle.

Hopefully, the genuine experts on Vista will investigate this. The other troubling aspect has Toshiba advertising a BIOS fix that doesn't address the issue.