I restarted during a Windows Update.

BB

I restarted during a Windows Update.
I accidentally restarted my laptop in the middle of a Windows Update and now
I get several messages when I boot up. These include "Windows Modules
Installer has stopped working," and "Windows Run (.dll) has stopped working,"
as well as a few others that I cannot remember. The ill effects of my
actions are manifest in the loss of wireless internet capabilities, a text
bubble from the process icons on the taskbar that says there are multiple
Windows Security Alerts, as well as one that says "Windows cannot detect any
updates." When I open up the window to try to do a Windows Update, it says
that I have never downloaded an Update (and I have) and it also does not
allow me to get an update.
Malke

Re: I restarted during a Windows Update.
BB wrote:
> I accidentally restarted my laptop in the middle of a Windows Update and now
> I get several messages when I boot up. These include "Windows Modules
> Installer has stopped working," and "Windows Run (.dll) has stopped working,"
> as well as a few others that I cannot remember. The ill effects of my
> actions are manifest in the loss of wireless internet capabilities, a text
> bubble from the process icons on the taskbar that says there are multiple
> Windows Security Alerts, as well as one that says "Windows cannot detect any
> updates." When I open up the window to try to do a Windows Update, it says
> that I have never downloaded an Update (and I have) and it also does not
> allow me to get an update.

See if you ca do a System Restore to before you started installing the
updates.

To run System Restore, go to the Start Orb and in the Start Search box
type "System Restore" without the quotes. System Restore will appear in
the Programs result. Click on it, allow the UAC prompt, and follow the
wizard.

How to run System Restore from the Vista DVD repair options:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial142.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...ystem-restore/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
BB

Re: I restarted during a Windows Update.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I did try to do a System Restore (sorry I
forgot to mention that), but all of my restore points had been erased. The
entire calender was completely empty. I also tried repairing the system
using the Vista DVD but it was not very helpful; it told me that there was a
problem but that it couldn't fix it. I'd really like to avoid backing up all
of my data and re-installing the OS, but I can't figure out anything else to
do. So if there's anything else I can try, I'd appreciate it.

BB wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestion, but I did try to do a System Restore (sorry I
> forgot to mention that), but all of my restore points had been erased. The
> entire calender was completely empty. I also tried repairing the system
> using the Vista DVD but it was not very helpful; it told me that there was a
> problem but that it couldn't fix it. I'd really like to avoid backing up all
> of my data and re-installing the OS, but I can't figure out anything else to
> do. So if there's anything else I can try, I'd appreciate it.

Since you already tried repairing the system (and please check the links
below to see that your idea of repairing the system matches theirs),
then your operating system is in too much of an unknown state and you
should do what you don't want to do - back up data and do a clean
install. Perhaps someone else has a different idea for you, but that's
what I would do.

Repair Vista - http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm
Repair A Vista Installation Using The Upgrade Option Of The Vista DVD -
http://tinyurl.com/3b7yrj
Repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
mikeyhsd

Re: I restarted during a Windows Update.
as unhappy as it would make you, BACK UP your data ANYWAY.

then try an IN PLACE upgrade if you have a standard vista DVD and not an OEM restore disk.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com