Repartition of my harddisk

Lenart

Repartition of my harddisk
I just recived my new notebook with a single partition on it. I want to
repartion my hardrive.......... i tried with disk managment tool but it is
not working....... i can able to shrink the drive but can't able to format
that drive.......... That is giving me the error:

PLz help
Rick Rogers

Re: Repartition of my harddisk
Hi,

After shrinking C:, you then need to create a new volume with the
unallocated space before formatting. Do so by right-clicking it and choosing
the appropriate option.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Lenart" <Lenart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just recived my new notebook with a single partition on it. I want to
> repartion my hardrive.......... i tried with disk managment tool but it is
> not working....... i can able to shrink the drive but can't able to format
> that drive.......... That is giving me the error:
>
> PLz help

AJR

Re: Repartition of my harddisk
On the basis of the following statement "... i can able to shrink the drive
but can't able to format that drive...." - leave things be!!!

"Lenart" <Lenart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just recived my new notebook with a single partition on it. I want to
> repartion my hardrive.......... i tried with disk managment tool but it is
> not working....... i can able to shrink the drive but can't able to format
> that drive.......... That is giving me the error:
>
> PLz help

Lenart

Re: Repartition of my harddisk
Can you plz give me the steps to do this thing in the right way. i am still
facing problem while doing this.

"AJR" wrote:

> On the basis of the following statement "... i can able to shrink the drive
> but can't able to format that drive...." - leave things be!!!
>

> "Lenart" <Lenart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just recived my new notebook with a single partition on it. I want to
> > repartion my hardrive.......... i tried with disk managment tool but it is
> > not working....... i can able to shrink the drive but can't able to format
> > that drive.......... That is giving me the error:
> >
> > PLz help

R. C. White

Re: Repartition of my harddisk
Hi, Lenart.

As Rick told you: Using Disk Management, Shrink the single partition. This
will be successful UNLESS some unmovable file is stored at the far end of
the partition, preventing the Shrink Volume wizard from working. Assuming
success, if your 100 GB has now shrunk to 20 GB, you should see, in the
Graphical View, 80 GB "Free Space" following the 20 GB Drive C:.
Right-click on the free space and click New Simple Volume - then follow your
nose as the wizard creates the volume and formats it for you.

Note 3 options that you have:
1. You can limit the size of the new volume. If you do this, be sure to
specify the size in MB, not GB. If you want a 30 GB volume, tell the wizard
30,000, not 30.

2. You can choose the Drive letter, and you should. You should explicitly
assign letters to all your HD volumes, your optical drives, USB flash drives
and card readers, etc., so that Vista won't have to reassign new letters
each time you add or remove one.

3. You can assign a Volume label, and you should. This will be written to
the hard drive and will not change, even if that volume becomes Drive X: at
some point in the future.

If Shrink Volume does not produce any - or enough - Free Space, then you
have another problem. Please post back with details and we'll try to help
you get around that. Among the details, tell us the size of the physical
drive, any other partitions on it, and how much space is actually being used
in your Drive C:.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Can you plz give me the steps to do this thing in the right way. i am
> still
> facing problem while doing this.
>
> "AJR" wrote:
>
>> On the basis of the following statement "... i can able to shrink the
>> drive
>> but can't able to format that drive...." - leave things be!!!
>>

>> "Lenart" <Lenart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just recived my new notebook with a single partition on it. I want to
>> > repartion my hardrive.......... i tried with disk managment tool but it
>> > is
>> > not working....... i can able to shrink the drive but can't able to
>> > format
>> > that drive.......... That is giving me the error:
>> >
>> > PLz help

Brink

Lenart;589580 Wrote:
> Can you plz give me the steps to do this thing in the right way. i am
> still
> facing problem while doing this.
>
> "AJR" wrote:
> > > >
> > > On the basis of the following statement "... i can able to shrink the

> > drive
> > > but can't able to format that drive...." - leave things be!!!
> > >

> > > "Lenart" <Lenart@xxxxxx> wrote in message

Lenart,

After you shrink it, you must create a new volume. This will show you
how. I believe you are at step 8 now. Here are the complete steps on how
to do what you want.

'Disk Management - Shrink Partition'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html)

Shawn