Stop these Vista alerts?

Michelle

Stop these Vista alerts?
I may choose not to do this full time... but how do I disable the security
alerts that Vista displays when I start programs or change settings?

thanks

Frank

Re: Stop these Vista alerts?
Michelle wrote:
> I may choose not to do this full time... but how do I disable the
> security alerts that Vista displays when I start programs or change
> settings?
>
> thanks

Control panel/security center...left side...change the way security
center alerts me.
Frank
GT4U

RE: Stop these Vista alerts?
Michelle
I beleive you are asking how to turn off the uac control popup etc if so go
to control panel>double click user accounts and there you will be able to
turn uac on and off after you disable it will ask you to reboot. And the same
applies if you wish to turn on again.
Hope this helps let me know.

Regards
--
GT4U

"Michelle" wrote:

> I may choose not to do this full time... but how do I disable the security
> alerts that Vista displays when I start programs or change settings?
>
> thanks

Steve Thackery

Re: Stop these Vista alerts?
Are you talking about UAC prompts? If so, upgrade to Vista-compatible
software.

You did check your software for Vista compatibility before upgrading, didn't
you?

SteveT

Robinb

Re: Stop these Vista alerts?
be very careful when turning off UAC
A lot of programs will not install correctly if you turn this function off.
You might find you will get error msgs when a program starts up.
Many programs are built for Vista with the UAC coded into it so it will load
correctly.

If you decide to turn it off you can use TweakUAC.
This turns off the UAC and will also put it in silent mode for the limited
user so the admin user will not see those alerts but the limited user will
still see them.
But before when installing a new program you need to go back to the program
and turn on UAC then reboot.
Then you can install the program.

robin
"Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I may choose not to do this full time... but how do I disable the security
>alerts that Vista displays when I start programs or change settings?
>
> thanks

Lou

Re: Stop these Vista alerts?
Where did you get the information that prior to installing a new program you
need to use TweakUAC to turn UAC on and reboot?

Lou

"Robinb" <robin@discussion> wrote in message
> be very careful when turning off UAC
> A lot of programs will not install correctly if you turn this function
> off.
> You might find you will get error msgs when a program starts up.
> Many programs are built for Vista with the UAC coded into it so it will
> load correctly.
>
> If you decide to turn it off you can use TweakUAC.
> This turns off the UAC and will also put it in silent mode for the limited
> user so the admin user will not see those alerts but the limited user will
> still see them.
> But before when installing a new program you need to go back to the
> program and turn on UAC then reboot.
> Then you can install the program.
>
> robin
> "Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I may choose not to do this full time... but how do I disable the security
>>alerts that Vista displays when I start programs or change settings?
>>
>> thanks

Robinb

Re: Stop these Vista alerts?
no, I did not say that
I said if you "use" TweakUAC to put the UAC in silent mode you "can" use
TweakUAC to put back the UAC.
Using this tool is a bit easier than going into Control Panel and finding
where to put it back on.

There is no law that says you need to only use this tool. This utility is
just easier to use than going into the Control Panel and turning off or on
the UAC

robin

"Lou" <1234AT@Bishop.com> wrote in message
> Where did you get the information that prior to installing a new program
> you need to use TweakUAC to turn UAC on and reboot?
>
> Lou
>
> "Robinb" <robin@discussion> wrote in message
>> be very careful when turning off UAC
>> A lot of programs will not install correctly if you turn this function
>> off.
>> You might find you will get error msgs when a program starts up.
>> Many programs are built for Vista with the UAC coded into it so it will
>> load correctly.
>>
>> If you decide to turn it off you can use TweakUAC.
>> This turns off the UAC and will also put it in silent mode for the
>> limited user so the admin user will not see those alerts but the limited
>> user will still see them.
>> But before when installing a new program you need to go back to the
>> program and turn on UAC then reboot.
>> Then you can install the program.
>>
>> robin
>> "Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I may choose not to do this full time... but how do I disable the
>>>security alerts that Vista displays when I start programs or change
>>>settings?
>>>
>>> thanks

Robinb

Re: Stop these Vista alerts?
and because i test software for companies on Vista I found that with the UAC
off, a lot of sofware doesn't load properly without the UAC on.
If you have it off and then turn it on- regardless if you use TweakUAC or
manually turn it off- when you turn it on you should reboot to clear out the
memory so you do not run into any problems.

robin
> no, I did not say that
> I said if you "use" TweakUAC to put the UAC in silent mode you "can" use
> TweakUAC to put back the UAC.
> Using this tool is a bit easier than going into Control Panel and finding
> where to put it back on.
>
> There is no law that says you need to only use this tool. This utility is
> just easier to use than going into the Control Panel and turning off or on
> the UAC
>
> robin
>
> "Lou" <1234AT@Bishop.com> wrote in message
>> Where did you get the information that prior to installing a new program
>> you need to use TweakUAC to turn UAC on and reboot?
>>
>> Lou
>>
>> "Robinb" <robin@discussion> wrote in message
>>> be very careful when turning off UAC
>>> A lot of programs will not install correctly if you turn this function
>>> off.
>>> You might find you will get error msgs when a program starts up.
>>> Many programs are built for Vista with the UAC coded into it so it will
>>> load correctly.
>>>
>>> If you decide to turn it off you can use TweakUAC.
>>> This turns off the UAC and will also put it in silent mode for the
>>> limited user so the admin user will not see those alerts but the limited
>>> user will still see them.
>>> But before when installing a new program you need to go back to the
>>> program and turn on UAC then reboot.
>>> Then you can install the program.
>>>
>>> robin

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Stop these Vista alerts?

"Robinb" <robin@discussion> wrote in message news:eEiZeqdYIHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> and because i test software for companies on Vista I found that with the UAC
> off, a lot of sofware doesn't load properly without the UAC on.
> If you have it off and then turn it on- regardless if you use TweakUAC or
> manually turn it off- when you turn it on you should reboot to clear out the
> memory so you do not run into any problems.

I have yey to ever encounter this problem. Turning UAC of is a matter of habit
for the past 8 months on every VISTA PC I encounter... there have been NO
negative responses what-so-ever.

> robin
> "Robinb" <robin@discussion> wrote in message
> > no, I did not say that
> > I said if you "use" TweakUAC to put the UAC in silent mode you "can" use
> > TweakUAC to put back the UAC.
> > Using this tool is a bit easier than going into Control Panel and finding
> > where to put it back on.
> >
> > There is no law that says you need to only use this tool. This utility is
> > just easier to use than going into the Control Panel and turning off or on
> > the UAC
> >
> > robin
> >
> > "Lou" <1234AT@Bishop.com> wrote in message
> >> Where did you get the information that prior to installing a new program
> >> you need to use TweakUAC to turn UAC on and reboot?
> >>
> >> Lou

Mark

Re: Stop these Vista alerts?
I have not had a problem installing with UAC on, or off...
It's when I change state after installation that causes the problems. Some
programs, when installed, seem to remember UAC settings and information from
the installation process, then cause trouble if UAC doesn't match
installation settings when run.

Example:
Turn off UAC.
Install Word with UAC turned off.
Run Word.
Now, turn UAC on, then reboot.
Now, try Word again.

Same with Flash Player, Real Player, some AVs, etc. It's problematic if
you are going back and forth.

Best solution:
Choose whether you want it on or not and leave it.