I'm not a 'Proper' administrator

Michelle

I'm not a 'Proper' administrator
I am the only user on my laptop. I accepted the Toshiba settings when I
bought the machine, but I realise that there are a number of features that
are disabled that (as an administrator) I should be able to use. for
example:

1. Windows Defender will show me the details of start-up programs but not
allow me to remove/enable/disable anything (the buttons are
greyed-out/disabled).

2. There are some folders (e.g. in my internet favourites) which are
read-only and when I switch read-only off, it ignores what I've done - they
remain read-only.

thanks

Rick Rogers

Re: I'm not a 'Proper' administrator
Hi Michelle,

1) A program has to be selected before any options are offered. System
critical applications will not have the options available. As well, certain
applications cannot be disabled this way and will also not have them
available, these should be disabled from within that particular programs'
own options.

2) The "read only" attribute doesn't apply to folders, only files. It's not
enabled or disabled, it's actually not available. This issue "appears" when
a folder is customized, but actually has no affect on the system. This is a
fairly well documented issue that existed in XP as well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am the only user on my laptop. I accepted the Toshiba settings when I
>bought the machine, but I realise that there are a number of features that
>are disabled that (as an administrator) I should be able to use. for
>example:
>
> 1. Windows Defender will show me the details of start-up programs but not
> allow me to remove/enable/disable anything (the buttons are
> greyed-out/disabled).
>
> 2. There are some folders (e.g. in my internet favourites) which are
> read-only and when I switch read-only off, it ignores what I've done -
> they remain read-only.
>
> thanks

Paul Smith

Re: I'm not a 'Proper' administrator
"Michelle" <mh_londonSPAMSTOP@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am the only user on my laptop. I accepted the Toshiba settings when I
>bought the machine, but I realise that there are a number of features that
>are disabled that (as an administrator) I should be able to use. for
>example:
>
> 1. Windows Defender will show me the details of start-up programs but not
> allow me to remove/enable/disable anything (the buttons are
> greyed-out/disabled).

In Windows Vista even in the administrators desktop, applications run as
standard users. Defender isn't letting you make any system-wide changes
because it is running as standard user.

It has a little button in the lower-left of the UI, with the shield icon
(which means it will ask for elevation through UAC), which reads 'Show for
all users'. Clicking on this will elevate Defender so it has administrative
privileges.

> 2. There are some folders (e.g. in my internet favourites) which are
> read-only and when I switch read-only off, it ignores what I've done -
> they remain read-only.

Unless you've got your favourites stored in a non-user area of the system
this shouldn't be a problem. Folders don't have a read-only mode.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*