Update driver. True or False?

Dan

Update driver. True or False?

Vista Home Pre on Standard 2007 Gateway Notebook.

I have been using the “update driver- by way of “Device Manager”
[properties/search online for Updates], for about a year now. Results always
return with: “No current updates needed-“your computer is up to date” etc.,
This tool is excellent and I am glad to be assured that All my drivers were
built so cutting edge that I may never get a update through this method. What
a great service. True or False?

--
Smackwaddle
Dan

RE: Update driver. True or False?
i just found this article.., if this (below) is correct i expect not to get a
responce and will be left wondering why do we have this service in device
manager [update driver] that misleads us? or is this for the [windows only
drivers] and i wasted time while answering my own question.

To update a driver, you'll need to retrieve it from the device maker's Web
site. Most peripheral makers have a support or customer care area on their
Web site that contains driver files. Drivers also come on floppy disks or CDs
that you have got with the device. Still, it is better to get the latest
driver from the device manufacturer's Web site. If you need help in finding a
driver, look at these sites: driverguide.com or windrivers.com or
driverzone.com or drivershq.com or perhaps mrdriver.com.
Before you find the right driver, you'll need to figure out the make and
model of the device you are updating. This usually isn't hard. You will most
often find this information in the manual of the device. It could be also on
(or on the underside) of the device itself in the case of a printer or
scanner and some other peripherals.
http://www.cyberwalker.com/article/449

--
Slankwiggle

Richard G. Harper

Re: Update driver. True or False?
FALSE. Unless a hardware manufacturer submits updated drivers to Microsoft
for distribution via Microsoft channels you will never see an update.

> Vista Home Pre on Standard 2007 Gateway Notebook.
>
> I have been using the “update driver- by way of “Device Manager”
> [properties/search online for Updates], for about a year now. Results
> always
> return with: “No current updates needed-“your computer is up to date”
> etc.,
> This tool is excellent and I am glad to be assured that All my drivers
> were
> built so cutting edge that I may never get a update through this method.
> What
> a great service. True or False?
>
> --
> Smackwaddle

Bruce Chambers

Dan wrote:
> Vista Home Pre on Standard 2007 Gateway Notebook.
>
> I have been using the “update driver- by way of “Device Manager”
> [properties/search online for Updates], for about a year now. Results always
> return with: “No current updates needed-“your computer is up to date” etc.,
> This tool is excellent and I am glad to be assured that All my drivers were
> built so cutting edge that I may never get a update through this method. What
> a great service. True or False?

False. There will be a new driver available via this service only when
the device's manufacturer provides Microsoft with a generic,
watered-down version of their latest driver.

In fact, I've found it best *not* to download the "Driver" updates from
Windows Update, unless they're for a hardware device originally
manufactured by Microsoft. Device drivers provided by each component's
manufacturer's web site are likely to perform better and offer more
features than will the watered-down, "generic" drivers that those
manufacturers provide to Microsoft for distribution via Windows Update.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.