Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista

Jim

Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista
I need to know if there is anyway to specifically set Vista to allow a
program to see a certain Size for Virtual memory. oracle Products require
Virtual Memory to be verified before they go through installation. The
problem here is that Windows Vista Paging files are not seen as Virtual
memory for some reason. The system I have is set with 4000 plus mb of Paging
file but when the oracle check completes it shows 0 mb available. Going to a
newer version of Oracle is not an option as this is a required product for a
College Course. Going back to XP is not an option since no one ever wrote XP
Drivers for this hardware. I've exhausted all the resources from HP and
Oracle and need to try this end of the problem now. Does anyone have an idea?
Dwarf

RE: Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista
Hi Jim,

This is something which Oracle need to check as it is an indication that
this software is not fully Vista compliant. You could try using the
compatibility mode to see if they will install under XP SP2. To do this,
select the setup file and right click on it. In the menu that appears, select
'Properties'. Next, select the 'Compatibility' tab. Under the section headed
'Compatibility mode' check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and
in the scroll box below select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)'. Click 'OK'. Try
installing the program with these settings. If the program installs then
good. If not, you will need to try tweaking the other options on the
'Compatibility' tab. Try the 'Settings' section first. If you still have no
luck, then repeat the whole process but select a different 'Compatibility
mode'. Note that when you have successfully installed, the program will
probably need to be run using the same compatibility settings. To do this,
right-click on the program executable in the 'All Programs' section on the
start menu. Set the compatibility mode as described above. Hopefully, this
should solve your problem. If it doesn't then you are probably out of luck.
Not all software that ran on an older version of Windows (even the previous
incarnation, Windows XP SP2) can be run in compatibility mode. In short, the
problem is not caused by Vista or HP, rather it is caused by Oracle failing
to update this product to be Vista compliable.
Dwarf

"Jim" wrote:

> I need to know if there is anyway to specifically set Vista to allow a
> program to see a certain Size for Virtual memory. oracle Products require
> Virtual Memory to be verified before they go through installation. The
> problem here is that Windows Vista Paging files are not seen as Virtual
> memory for some reason. The system I have is set with 4000 plus mb of Paging
> file but when the oracle check completes it shows 0 mb available. Going to a
> newer version of Oracle is not an option as this is a required product for a
> College Course. Going back to XP is not an option since no one ever wrote XP
> Drivers for this hardware. I've exhausted all the resources from HP and
> Oracle and need to try this end of the problem now. Does anyone have an idea?

Jim

RE: Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista
Thank you for you response. i have tried these things already though. The
Compatibility mode solved part of the problem. The second part of the
problem is Vista uses "Paging" Memory and references it as such in the
registry. oracle searches the Registry for the SWAP File location and
doesn't see that entry. The installer quits because it can not detect the
memory needed.

As far as oracle addressing the issue they have to an extent. Oracle 11g
works in Vista and 10g Release 2 also works in Vista. The problem is with
the Developer suite which was not upgraded to work in Vista and at present
there is no plan for any upgrade. The package is used in colleges for
Programmer Degree's but not very often in the business market. those that do
use it made the choice not to upgrade to Vista because of this problem. In
any event, is there a way to add a Registry key to indicate a SWAP file exist
even if windows doesn't use it? I just need it to emulate the Swap file even
if I need to manually key it in to work. I just want to finish my degree
without having to Hack Oracle or Windows since either choice would be time
consuming and considered illegal.

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> This is something which Oracle need to check as it is an indication that
> this software is not fully Vista compliant. You could try using the
> compatibility mode to see if they will install under XP SP2. To do this,
> select the setup file and right click on it. In the menu that appears, select
> 'Properties'. Next, select the 'Compatibility' tab. Under the section headed
> 'Compatibility mode' check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and
> in the scroll box below select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)'. Click 'OK'. Try
> installing the program with these settings. If the program installs then
> good. If not, you will need to try tweaking the other options on the
> 'Compatibility' tab. Try the 'Settings' section first. If you still have no
> luck, then repeat the whole process but select a different 'Compatibility
> mode'. Note that when you have successfully installed, the program will
> probably need to be run using the same compatibility settings. To do this,
> right-click on the program executable in the 'All Programs' section on the
> start menu. Set the compatibility mode as described above. Hopefully, this
> should solve your problem. If it doesn't then you are probably out of luck.
> Not all software that ran on an older version of Windows (even the previous
> incarnation, Windows XP SP2) can be run in compatibility mode. In short, the
> problem is not caused by Vista or HP, rather it is caused by Oracle failing
> to update this product to be Vista compliable.
> Dwarf
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
> > I need to know if there is anyway to specifically set Vista to allow a
> > program to see a certain Size for Virtual memory. oracle Products require
> > Virtual Memory to be verified before they go through installation. The
> > problem here is that Windows Vista Paging files are not seen as Virtual
> > memory for some reason. The system I have is set with 4000 plus mb of Paging
> > file but when the oracle check completes it shows 0 mb available. Going to a
> > newer version of Oracle is not an option as this is a required product for a
> > College Course. Going back to XP is not an option since no one ever wrote XP
> > Drivers for this hardware. I've exhausted all the resources from HP and
> > Oracle and need to try this end of the problem now. Does anyone have an idea?

miss-information

Re: Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista
Run the program in a Virtual Machine using XP.

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for you response. i have tried these things already though.
> The
> Compatibility mode solved part of the problem. The second part of the
> problem is Vista uses "Paging" Memory and references it as such in the
> registry. oracle searches the Registry for the SWAP File location and
> doesn't see that entry. The installer quits because it can not detect the
> memory needed.
>
> As far as oracle addressing the issue they have to an extent. Oracle 11g
> works in Vista and 10g Release 2 also works in Vista. The problem is with
> the Developer suite which was not upgraded to work in Vista and at present
> there is no plan for any upgrade. The package is used in colleges for
> Programmer Degree's but not very often in the business market. those that
> do
> use it made the choice not to upgrade to Vista because of this problem.
> In
> any event, is there a way to add a Registry key to indicate a SWAP file
> exist
> even if windows doesn't use it? I just need it to emulate the Swap file
> even
> if I need to manually key it in to work. I just want to finish my degree
> without having to Hack Oracle or Windows since either choice would be time
> consuming and considered illegal.

Jim

Re: Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista
Thank You. I am trying that now but Microsoft Virtual PC does not Support
Vista. So far it is working but there are still some problems because of
this.

When I say does not support Vista I mean it is not supported running on
Vista. I get this warning when I installed it but got the install to work by
setting it to run in Compatibility Mode for XP. Seems strange to Run Program
in Compatibility mode to run another program in Compatibility mode.

Oh Well, Thank You for the assistance. I will continue to work on the
install file and see if I can get it to work through the problem.

"miss-information" wrote:

> Run the program in a Virtual Machine using XP.
>
> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for you response. i have tried these things already though.
> > The
> > Compatibility mode solved part of the problem. The second part of the
> > problem is Vista uses "Paging" Memory and references it as such in the
> > registry. oracle searches the Registry for the SWAP File location and
> > doesn't see that entry. The installer quits because it can not detect the
> > memory needed.
> >
> > As far as oracle addressing the issue they have to an extent. Oracle 11g
> > works in Vista and 10g Release 2 also works in Vista. The problem is with
> > the Developer suite which was not upgraded to work in Vista and at present
> > there is no plan for any upgrade. The package is used in colleges for
> > Programmer Degree's but not very often in the business market. those that
> > do
> > use it made the choice not to upgrade to Vista because of this problem.
> > In
> > any event, is there a way to add a Registry key to indicate a SWAP file
> > exist
> > even if windows doesn't use it? I just need it to emulate the Swap file
> > even
> > if I need to manually key it in to work. I just want to finish my degree
> > without having to Hack Oracle or Windows since either choice would be time
> > consuming and considered illegal.

Rick Rogers

Re: Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista
Hi Jim,

You must be trying the 2004 version of Virtual PC, the 2007 free download is
perfectly compatible with Vista.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Thank You. I am trying that now but Microsoft Virtual PC does not Support
> Vista. So far it is working but there are still some problems because of
> this.
>
> When I say does not support Vista I mean it is not supported running on
> Vista. I get this warning when I installed it but got the install to work
> by
> setting it to run in Compatibility Mode for XP. Seems strange to Run
> Program
> in Compatibility mode to run another program in Compatibility mode.
>
> Oh Well, Thank You for the assistance. I will continue to work on the
> install file and see if I can get it to work through the problem.
>
> "miss-information" wrote:
>
>> Run the program in a Virtual Machine using XP.
>>
>> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for you response. i have tried these things already though.
>> > The
>> > Compatibility mode solved part of the problem. The second part of the
>> > problem is Vista uses "Paging" Memory and references it as such in the
>> > registry. oracle searches the Registry for the SWAP File location and
>> > doesn't see that entry. The installer quits because it can not detect
>> > the
>> > memory needed.
>> >
>> > As far as oracle addressing the issue they have to an extent. Oracle
>> > 11g
>> > works in Vista and 10g Release 2 also works in Vista. The problem is
>> > with
>> > the Developer suite which was not upgraded to work in Vista and at
>> > present
>> > there is no plan for any upgrade. The package is used in colleges for
>> > Programmer Degree's but not very often in the business market. those
>> > that
>> > do
>> > use it made the choice not to upgrade to Vista because of this problem.
>> > In
>> > any event, is there a way to add a Registry key to indicate a SWAP file
>> > exist
>> > even if windows doesn't use it? I just need it to emulate the Swap
>> > file
>> > even
>> > if I need to manually key it in to work. I just want to finish my
>> > degree
>> > without having to Hack Oracle or Windows since either choice would be
>> > time
>> > consuming and considered illegal.

miss-information

Re: Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista
For configuration help try the > microsoft.public.virtualpc < newsgroup. I
did not see any warnings when installing. I have a VM running XP on Vista
Ultimate with no problems.

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com>
> Thank You. I am trying that now but Microsoft Virtual PC does not Support
> Vista. So far it is working but there are still some problems because of
> this.
>
> When I say does not support Vista I mean it is not supported running on
> Vista. I get this warning when I installed it but got the install to work
> by
> setting it to run in Compatibility Mode for XP. Seems strange to Run
> Program
> in Compatibility mode to run another program in Compatibility mode.
>
> Oh Well, Thank You for the assistance. I will continue to work on the
> install file and see if I can get it to work through the problem.

> "miss-information" wrote:

>> Run the program in a Virtual Machine using XP.

Jim

Re: Virtual Memory Control and Settings in Windows Vista
Sorry for the confusion, I should clarify. I do have VM 2007, but I can not,
like most college students, afford Vista Ultimate. I have Vista Home Premium
which is not supported in VM 2007 according to the documentation or when I
installed it. The good news is, except for not being able to access my
hardware (Modem and such because Home Premium doesn't allow hardware
Virtualization) The program is working enough I can use it to run my Software
I need.

Guys, don't get me wrong. I understand the need to move forward and have
new products. With a few small exceptions Vista is a pretty good system. I
haven't had that many lock ups and I haven't received the blue screen of
death since I started using it on this PC. This is Good. On the other hand
I hate having to answer yes three times to get the OS to do something and I
do need User Access Control turned on so turning it off is not an option. I
just wish that everytime a new version of Windows comes out I didn't have to
re-invest a grand to get software that will work on the new platform. Enough
Ranting.

Thank You all for your time and attention to this issue and your help. All
of it was useful and helped me resolve the issue to a acceptable end.