Readyboost will not work

Rangerrick13

Readyboost will not work
Hi
I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium. I am attempting to use a
Kingston Data Traveler thumb drive for readyboost. I do not get the "speed up
system" page when I plug it in, nor do I have a readyboost tab when I click
on properties for the drive. I have tried the thumb drive in another Vista
machine and it works fine.
Thanks for any help
Rick
Robin Hood

Re: Readyboost will not work

Rangerrick13;585137 Wrote:
> Hi
> I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium. I am attempting to use
> Kingston Data Traveler thumb drive for readyboost. I do not get the
> "speed up
> system" page when I plug it in, nor do I have a readyboost tab when I
> click
> on properties for the drive. I have tried the thumb drive in another
> Vista
> machine and it works fine.
> Thanks for any help
> Rick

Hope this helps --->
h**p://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2160

--
Robin Hood
Rangerrick13

RE: Readyboost will not work
Thanks but I have already been to that website. I don't get the auto play
speed up your system page and there is no readyboost tab on my properties
screen. It does work on my daughters Vista machine.
Thanks
Rick

"Rangerrick13" wrote:

> Hi
> I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium. I am attempting to use a
> Kingston Data Traveler thumb drive for readyboost. I do not get the "speed up
> system" page when I plug it in, nor do I have a readyboost tab when I click
> on properties for the drive. I have tried the thumb drive in another Vista
> machine and it works fine.
> Thanks for any help
> Rick

AJR

Re: Readyboost will not work
Vista "OKs" an external flash/thumb/USB device by verifying the device meets
specific write/read specifications - however the card reader/USB computer
bus must also meet "speed" specs - which is why a device may work in one
computer and not another.

"Rangerrick13" <Rangerrick13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks but I have already been to that website. I don't get the auto play
> speed up your system page and there is no readyboost tab on my properties
> screen. It does work on my daughters Vista machine.
> Thanks
> Rick
>
> "Rangerrick13" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium. I am attempting to use a
>> Kingston Data Traveler thumb drive for readyboost. I do not get the
>> "speed up
>> system" page when I plug it in, nor do I have a readyboost tab when I
>> click
>> on properties for the drive. I have tried the thumb drive in another
>> Vista
>> machine and it works fine.
>> Thanks for any help
>> Rick

Rangerrick13

Re: Readyboost will not work
Is there any way to check the speed on my usb ports?

"AJR" wrote:

> Vista "OKs" an external flash/thumb/USB device by verifying the device meets
> specific write/read specifications - however the card reader/USB computer
> bus must also meet "speed" specs - which is why a device may work in one
> computer and not another.
>

> "Rangerrick13" <Rangerrick13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks but I have already been to that website. I don't get the auto play
> > speed up your system page and there is no readyboost tab on my properties
> > screen. It does work on my daughters Vista machine.
> > Thanks
> > Rick
> >
> > "Rangerrick13" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium. I am attempting to use a
> >> Kingston Data Traveler thumb drive for readyboost. I do not get the
> >> "speed up
> >> system" page when I plug it in, nor do I have a readyboost tab when I
> >> click
> >> on properties for the drive. I have tried the thumb drive in another
> >> Vista
> >> machine and it works fine.
> >> Thanks for any help
> >> Rick

AJR

Re: Readyboost will not work
USB 2,0 is sufficient, however speeds vary among "card Readers" - following
may be informative:
"Windows Vista runs a quick performance test to see if the device meets
minimum standards required for ReadyBoost. Those standards are:

a.. 2.5 MB/sec throughout for 4 KB random reads
b.. 1.75 MB/sec throughout for 512 KB random writes
These results must be consistent across the entire device....
also "...If the drive fails several tests, you can look up the specific
performance results for yourself. Open Event Viewer (Eventvwr.msc) and click
the Applications And Services Logs category in the console tree on the left.
Under this heading, click Microsoft, Windows, and ReadyBoost. Under this
latter heading, select Operational. The log entries in the center pane
include performance test results for both successful and unsuccessful
attempts...."