Pictures, fonts, graphics, movies look crummy

markcohen

Pictures, fonts, graphics, movies look crummy
Last week, I bought a new computer--a COMPAQ f756nr notebook PC--and Vista
was pre-installed. I connect to the internet via wireless modem and use cable
internet connection. Everything looks terrible to me versus my old laptop
computer--a Toshiba--and my old system, XP. I brought my computer back to
Best Buy and the Geek Squad reps there looked at the computer and told me it
was fine, just the way Vista looks on a computer and I should get used to it.
Since I got this computer last week, I'm absolutely miserable and don't know
what to do. I used to watch tv shows on my computer and email pictures but
everything looks so bad.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Best,
Mark
Charlie42

Re: Pictures, fonts, graphics, movies look crummy

"markcohen" <markcohen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Last week, I bought a new computer--a COMPAQ f756nr notebook PC--and Vista
> was pre-installed. I connect to the internet via wireless modem and use
> cable
> internet connection. Everything looks terrible to me versus my old laptop
> computer--a Toshiba--and my old system, XP. I brought my computer back to
> Best Buy and the Geek Squad reps there looked at the computer and told me
> it
> was fine, just the way Vista looks on a computer and I should get used to
> it.
> Since I got this computer last week, I'm absolutely miserable and don't
> know
> what to do. I used to watch tv shows on my computer and email pictures but
> everything looks so bad.
>
> If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

How to throw Vista's improved looks and feel overboard:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fa85b1033.mspx

Charlie42

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Pictures, fonts, graphics, movies look crummy
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:25:05 -0800, markcohen
<markcohen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Last week, I bought a new computer--a COMPAQ f756nr notebook PC--and Vista
> was pre-installed. I connect to the internet via wireless modem and use cable
> internet connection. Everything looks terrible to me versus my old laptop
> computer--a Toshiba--and my old system, XP. I brought my computer back to
> Best Buy and the Geek Squad reps there looked at the computer and told me it
> was fine, just the way Vista looks on a computer and I should get used to it.
> Since I got this computer last week, I'm absolutely miserable and don't know
> what to do. I used to watch tv shows on my computer and email pictures but
> everything looks so bad.
>
> If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Please be more specific as to what you mean when you say "everything
looks terrible."

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
markcohen

Re: Pictures, fonts, graphics, movies look crummy
Pictures in internet explorer and firefox look fuzzy/grainy. So is video from
YouTube and television networks. Fonts look jagged and washed out in Explorer
and in Word. The smaller fonts are blurry. Radical difference from my 5 year
old Toshiba to this Compaq. At Best Buy service techs said it was a Vista
problem and I couldn't do anything about it. I want to pull my hair out.

I tried the classic view change, but that didn't make any difference.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:25:05 -0800, markcohen
> <markcohen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Last week, I bought a new computer--a COMPAQ f756nr notebook PC--and Vista
> > was pre-installed. I connect to the internet via wireless modem and use cable
> > internet connection. Everything looks terrible to me versus my old laptop
> > computer--a Toshiba--and my old system, XP. I brought my computer back to
> > Best Buy and the Geek Squad reps there looked at the computer and told me it
> > was fine, just the way Vista looks on a computer and I should get used to it.
> > Since I got this computer last week, I'm absolutely miserable and don't know
> > what to do. I used to watch tv shows on my computer and email pictures but
> > everything looks so bad.
> >
> > If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

> Please be more specific as to what you mean when you say "everything
> looks terrible."
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Pictures, fonts, graphics, movies look crummy
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:49:07 -0800, markcohen
<markcohen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Pictures in internet explorer and firefox look fuzzy/grainy. So is video from
> YouTube and television networks. Fonts look jagged and washed out in Explorer
> and in Word. The smaller fonts are blurry. Radical difference from my 5 year
> old Toshiba to this Compaq.

> I tried the classic view change, but that didn't make any difference.

No, it has nothing to do with classic view.

Right-click on the desktop and choose "Personalize." Click "Display
Settings" and adjust the "Resolution" and "Color" settings there.
Check your manual; you should set these to what the manufacturer
recommends for your screen.

> At Best Buy service techs said it was a Vista
> problem and I couldn't do anything about it. I want to pull my hair out.

Best Buy's so-called "techs" are, with very rare exceptions, worse
than useless.