System restore stuck

Drunken Monkey

System restore stuck
On my vista machine i did something wrong and went to fix it with a file
restore function.

At first it would not let me use it from windows itself, so i used the
install disk to and rebooted the machine.

Now its been stuck on Finalizing File restore for the last hour or so, and i
havent seen my MOBO's hdd light flash at all anymore.

Now im at an impass, should i keep waiting and hope that maybe someday it
will finalize the file restore or should i restart my pc and pray that it
doesnt wipe everything. (though it is a pretty fresh install, but my vista
machine cant access the net right now and get the various patches that came
out.)
hugh.winter@gmail.com

Re: System restore stuck
On Jan 24, 5:18 pm, Drunken Monkey <Drunken
Mon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> On my vista machine i did something wrong and went to fix it with afilerestorefunction.
>
> At first it would not let me use it from windows itself, so i used the
> install disk to and rebooted the machine.
>
> Now its been stuck onFinalizingFilerestorefor the last hour or so, and i
> havent seen my MOBO's hdd light flash at all anymore.
>
> Now im at an impass, should i keep waiting and hope that maybe someday it
> will finalize thefilerestoreor should i restart my pc and pray that it
> doesnt wipe everything. (though it is a pretty fresh install, but my vista
> machine cant access the net right now and get the various patches that came
> out.)

Not helpful I am afraid, but I am in the same situation as you - chose
to upgrade to Vista SP 1, and it bombed out during the first restart.
Tried all the System Repair options, and now I am stuck looking at the
"Finalizing files restore" stage. I did in fact restart anyway, and
now it will not reboot at all, any mode. Even in safe mode, it just
suddenly reboots part way through the process, and I start again.

This is pathetic - the only thing that keeps me sane is that with
Linux I can mount the windows disk and get the valuable stuff off it.