First of all let me tell you what my system specs are:
- Intel E6700 Core2Duo
- Asus P5N-e SLI
- 2 GB RAM
- 3COM gigabit switch connected to a Linksys WAG200G DSL-router
- Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit (fully updated)
A couple of days ago I noticed one of the updated hanged. I rebooted my
system. From that moment on I started experiencing strange issues, but I was
never able to tell what action triggered the problems. The symptoms I'm
experiencing are the following:
- when logging out a user and trying to login as another user the desktop
won't always load
- downloads are extremely slow (6-10KBps)
- disk operations are slow (copying from and to external disk, copying to
- Disk management screen cannot be loaded (keeps "connecting to VSOD" or
- System recovery screen won't load
- Program removal won't work either.
A reboot not always solves the trick. I tried reinstalling Windows during
such a period but it took forever to load the first screen (where you should
select language, keyboard etc.).
Yesterday I got tired of it and took the time out to reinstall windows.
Everything went fine until doing some massive updates. When rebooting the
system kept doing the updates. Eventually I resetted and everything went
fine. Or so I thought. When leaving at night, I wanted to shutdown the system
but the power-off-button in Start Menu was still linked to going to sleep
mode, so that's what I did. When I came back, I woke up my system and all of
the issues where back again.
Does anyone have an idea what my cause these problems? I dug into my
logfiles but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Maybe Hardware
malfunctioning? Mainboard? Some HDD?
Thanks for your help!