Registry Cleaner

mchjr01

Registry Cleaner
I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there a
registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?

Thank you,

Mike
mchjr01@hotmail.com
Rick Rogers

Re: Registry Cleaner
Hi Mike,

Do not, I repeat, do not, run a registry cleaner on Vista. Many of them have
been found to remove necessary entries that they deem unneeded causing a
whole host of problems. Unlike older versions of Windows, registry bloat is
not an issue in Vista (and really wasn't in XP either), and dead entries are
simply ignored. The only registry cleaning tool you should consider using is
one that is application specific and designed for use in Vista.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mchjr01" <mchjr01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there a
> registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike
> mchjr01@hotmail.com

Mark

Re: Registry Cleaner
I run a registry cleaner about once a month on Vista Ultimate x64 without
any problems for the last year. I think I do it just to see what it finds.
Occassionally, I actually open the registry and just start manually deleting
links to programs I actually know no longer exist. While it may make me feel
more efficient, it really does not improve anything.

That said, here are the major issues:

1. When a program uninstalls, it usually fails to remove any registry
entries. Sometimes, this is to keep your license active. Sometimes, this is
to prevent uninstalling links to files that are shared. Usually, the
programmers are simply lazy.
2. Uninstalling is usually an automatic process and look at how well it
works on removing all the files that were originally installed. Do you want
an unrelated, automatic process doing the same thing to your registry?
3. Overall, there is little, if any improvement made by running these
registy cleaners. It's a placebo. Does your computer run more efficiently by
removing files that are never used? How many fonts do you have... how many
do you use?

The only way to truly clean up the hive is to restore a backup of your
machine to a "clean" state, or reinstall Vista. Neither of which is usually
very convenient. Even then, the registry will have a lot of garbage in it
that is never used or points to dead functionality, just like the files on
the hard drive. The risk of damage to the registry is far greater than any
benefit received by "cleaning" it.

"mchjr01" <mchjr01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there

> registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike
> mchjr01@hotmail.com

Dwarf

RE: Registry Cleaner
Hi Mike,

I do not recommend the use of so-called registry cleaners as they can cause
more problems than they claim to solve. Entries in the registry which are not
in use by the operating system or by any active applications are simply
ignored. I refer you to the post 'Registry Booster' in the newsgroup 'Windows
Vista General Discussion' (dated 1/21/2008). Although this post refers to
'Uniblue Registry Booster', thye advice given in this thread applies equally
to all other so-called registry booster/cleaners. A link to this post is
given below.
Dwarf

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...0-436b6137b763

"mchjr01" wrote:

> I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there a
> registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike
> mchjr01@hotmail.com

John Barnett MVP

Re: Registry Cleaner
Registry cleaners are not necessary and I certainly wouldn't advice using
one. My advice is 'if you are not competent enough to manually remove item
from the registry, then don't bother.' Most of the so called registry
cleaners produce so many false positives that neither the user or the
software knows what it's doing.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows - Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"mchjr01" <mchjr01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there a
> registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike
> mchjr01@hotmail.com

May

Re: Registry Cleaner
'Clean my PC' works fine on Vista64

"mchjr01" <mchjr01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there a
> registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike
> mchjr01@hotmail.com

Bruce Chambers

Re: Registry Cleaner
mchjr01 wrote:
> I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there a
> registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike
> mchjr01@hotmail.com

Why do you think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry "cleaner?"

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's
certainly been no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use
of such products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's
performance or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not
worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry "cleaners" that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Registry Cleaner
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:29:01 -0800, mchjr01
<mchjr01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there a
> registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?

On either XP or Vista, I strongly suggest you avoid using any registry
cleaning program. They are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the registry
isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and don't use
any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and what vendors
of registry cleaning software try to convince you of, having unused
registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Victek

Re: Registry Cleaner
>> I just upgraded my desktop to Vista Ultimate and my question is: Is there
>> registry cleaner on Vista comparable to the regclean.exe on XP?

> On either XP or Vista, I strongly suggest you avoid using any registry
> cleaning program. They are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the registry
> isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and don't use
> any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and what vendors
> of registry cleaning software try to convince you of, having unused
> registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
>
> The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
> removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
> it may have.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

While I agree that registry "cleaning" produces no perceivable benefit and
will very likely do damage, I wonder about registry compactors (sometimes
called registry defraggers)? It's seems safe to compact the registry by
removing empty space. I don't know if this improves the integrity of the
registry or produces any measurable improvement in performance though.