Windows Vista update caused errors

Tracy H.

Windows Vista update caused errors
The update for the Intel Chipset that automatically downloaded (yes I've
changed the automatic part to notify now) has caused me to get a "hkcmd.exe -
Bad Image" error message upon start up. I'll get this message twice and then
won't get it again till I start up the next time. The msg says:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxres.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or
it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original
installation media or contact your system administrator or the software
vendor for support.

I have tried to uninstall the update and it has been no help. I have found
that many of my programs also stop working almost immediately, such as games
and the Windows Media Center. I did not have a problem with them before the
update.

I went to the Intel site thinking I might find an answer but I could not
find driver help topics for Vista in the chipset.

What to do?
Rick Rogers

Re: Windows Vista update caused errors
Hi Tracy,

Have you tried using the driver rollback feature?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tracy H." <Tracy H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The update for the Intel Chipset that automatically downloaded (yes I've
> changed the automatic part to notify now) has caused me to get a
> "hkcmd.exe -
> Bad Image" error message upon start up. I'll get this message twice and
> then
> won't get it again till I start up the next time. The msg says:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxres.dll is either not designed to run on Windows
> or
> it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original
> installation media or contact your system administrator or the software
> vendor for support.
>
> I have tried to uninstall the update and it has been no help. I have found
> that many of my programs also stop working almost immediately, such as
> games
> and the Windows Media Center. I did not have a problem with them before
> the
> update.
>
> I went to the Intel site thinking I might find an answer but I could not
> find driver help topics for Vista in the chipset.
>
> What to do?

Charles Perreault

Re: Windows Vista update caused errors
I have the exact same problem as Tracy, with the same message. It appears at
each reboot, and also began after a Windows Update where the video driver was
updated. The only thing here, is that I can't rollback because Vista was a
fresh install and my graphic card had no driver builtin. The corrupted
driver is the first one installed, therefore Roll back is grayed in the
device manager item for my G35 intel graphic card.

Your solution is therefore not valid. I wish the updates were tested before
being sent. The real solution is to go to the intel web site, download
official drivers and install them.

Charles