Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Back up will not work in Vista Premium

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2008
Dennis
 

Posts: n/a
Back up will not work in Vista Premium
When I run the back up it always ends up with an error code[0x80070002]
"system cannot find the file specified." I have tried to re boot and hold F8
and repair your computer but it seems that nothing happens. I have tried this
4 or 5 times and nothing. I put the reinstallation disc in but I dont know if
I can repair the problem without doing a fresh install and losing all my
files. I checked and I see a lot of people with the same type of problem with
backups. Could this be solved or do I have to reinstall or should I get
third party backup. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS 32
bit with 2046 MB memory, Intel Core 2 CPU. Any help will be useful.


Dennis
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2008
Christine [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Back up will not work in Vista Premium
Hi Dennis,

To investigate the issue, could you send me the etl files under
C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup? (remove "online" from my email address)

Thanks,
Christine


"Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:38894005-B6B6-489D-8DFC-4D45EEB8F893@microsoft.com...
> When I run the back up it always ends up with an error code[0x80070002]
> "system cannot find the file specified." I have tried to re boot and hold
> F8
> and repair your computer but it seems that nothing happens. I have tried
> this
> 4 or 5 times and nothing. I put the reinstallation disc in but I dont know
> if
> I can repair the problem without doing a fresh install and losing all my
> files. I checked and I see a lot of people with the same type of problem
> with
> backups. Could this be solved or do I have to reinstall or should I get
> third party backup. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS
> 32
> bit with 2046 MB memory, Intel Core 2 CPU. Any help will be useful.
>
>
>
> Dennis


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2008
Robin Hood
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Back up will not work in Vista Premium

This might be a diff prob, but you could try this
--->hxxp://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=71e30 7bb-635d-4307-abe4-0d3c6642bb39&mid=71e307bb-635d-4307-abe4-0d3c6642bb39


--
Robin Hood
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2008
Christine [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Back up will not work in Vista Premium
Here's the finding:

After investigating with Dennis, the problem is due to an unused profile
entry in the registry. In Dennis's case, there was a profile with no profile
image under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Deleting that particular entry in the registry solved the problem. However,
before deleting anything from the registry, it is strongly recommended to
export the key in question for safekeeping.

Thanks,
--
Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division


"Christine [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> To investigate the issue, could you send me the etl files under
> C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup? (remove "online" from my email address)
>
> Thanks,
> Christine
>
>
> "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:38894005-B6B6-489D-8DFC-4D45EEB8F893@microsoft.com...
> > When I run the back up it always ends up with an error code[0x80070002]
> > "system cannot find the file specified." I have tried to re boot and hold
> > F8
> > and repair your computer but it seems that nothing happens. I have tried
> > this
> > 4 or 5 times and nothing. I put the reinstallation disc in but I dont know
> > if
> > I can repair the problem without doing a fresh install and losing all my
> > files. I checked and I see a lot of people with the same type of problem
> > with
> > backups. Could this be solved or do I have to reinstall or should I get
> > third party backup. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS
> > 32
> > bit with 2046 MB memory, Intel Core 2 CPU. Any help will be useful.
> >
> >
> >
> > Dennis

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2008
John Edwards
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Back up will not work in Vista Premium
This is VERY familiar to me! I've had EXACTLY the same experience as Dennis,
and through these newsgroups I have been advised to:
a) run sfc/scannow, which tells me I have some corrupt files that couldn't
be repaired - referring me to CBS.logs. However, although (eventually) I've
isolated and copied the relevant part of the log, I can't see where the
problem is. Could I send it to you?
b) check the profile registry for unused profiles, as you outline. However,
other than my own key, the three others ended:
systemprofile, LocalService and NetworkService
- and I guess they are properly there.

I have posted a couple of similar items on the General Discussion part of
the site, but without any responses - yet.

I'd be VERY grateful for help to resolve this urgently, as I'm feeling
extremely exposed without the ability to backup! Is there any prospect that
installing SP1 (which I have been offered and downloaded, but not yet
installed) would overcome the problem?

Many thanks

"Christine [MSFT]" wrote:

> Here's the finding:
>
> After investigating with Dennis, the problem is due to an unused profile
> entry in the registry. In Dennis's case, there was a profile with no profile
> image under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
>
> Deleting that particular entry in the registry solved the problem. However,
> before deleting anything from the registry, it is strongly recommended to
> export the key in question for safekeeping.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division
>
>
> "Christine [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi Dennis,
> >
> > To investigate the issue, could you send me the etl files under
> > C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup? (remove "online" from my email address)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Christine
> >
> >
> > "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:38894005-B6B6-489D-8DFC-4D45EEB8F893@microsoft.com...
> > > When I run the back up it always ends up with an error code[0x80070002]
> > > "system cannot find the file specified." I have tried to re boot and hold
> > > F8
> > > and repair your computer but it seems that nothing happens. I have tried
> > > this
> > > 4 or 5 times and nothing. I put the reinstallation disc in but I dont know
> > > if
> > > I can repair the problem without doing a fresh install and losing all my
> > > files. I checked and I see a lot of people with the same type of problem
> > > with
> > > backups. Could this be solved or do I have to reinstall or should I get
> > > third party backup. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS
> > > 32
> > > bit with 2046 MB memory, Intel Core 2 CPU. Any help will be useful.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Dennis

> >

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
John Edwards
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Back up will not work in Vista Premium
SUCCESS!!!!
I'm very pleased to report that the second attempt to Repair Install Vista
from the Medion Recovery Disc worked fine AND I have now successfully run a
backup! For information, the second time, having finally managed to delete
(from the FileRepository in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore) the newer nVidia
graphics drivers that always crash my PC, I ran it with UAC active, Windows
Features turned off along with Virus & Spyware protection. It took about 2
hours (without Windows Updates - I have that pleasure to come!), and so far,
everything except the Media Centre (and its remote control) seems to be
working as expected.
John

"John Edwards" wrote:

> This is VERY familiar to me! I've had EXACTLY the same experience as Dennis,
> and through these newsgroups I have been advised to:
> a) run sfc/scannow, which tells me I have some corrupt files that couldn't
> be repaired - referring me to CBS.logs. However, although (eventually) I've
> isolated and copied the relevant part of the log, I can't see where the
> problem is. Could I send it to you?
> b) check the profile registry for unused profiles, as you outline. However,
> other than my own key, the three others ended:
> systemprofile, LocalService and NetworkService
> - and I guess they are properly there.
>
> I have posted a couple of similar items on the General Discussion part of
> the site, but without any responses - yet.
>
> I'd be VERY grateful for help to resolve this urgently, as I'm feeling
> extremely exposed without the ability to backup! Is there any prospect that
> installing SP1 (which I have been offered and downloaded, but not yet
> installed) would overcome the problem?
>
> Many thanks
>
> "Christine [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Here's the finding:
> >
> > After investigating with Dennis, the problem is due to an unused profile
> > entry in the registry. In Dennis's case, there was a profile with no profile
> > image under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> > NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
> >
> > Deleting that particular entry in the registry solved the problem. However,
> > before deleting anything from the registry, it is strongly recommended to
> > export the key in question for safekeeping.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division
> >
> >
> > "Christine [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Dennis,
> > >
> > > To investigate the issue, could you send me the etl files under
> > > C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup? (remove "online" from my email address)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Christine
> > >
> > >
> > > "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:38894005-B6B6-489D-8DFC-4D45EEB8F893@microsoft.com...
> > > > When I run the back up it always ends up with an error code[0x80070002]
> > > > "system cannot find the file specified." I have tried to re boot and hold
> > > > F8
> > > > and repair your computer but it seems that nothing happens. I have tried
> > > > this
> > > > 4 or 5 times and nothing. I put the reinstallation disc in but I dont know
> > > > if
> > > > I can repair the problem without doing a fresh install and losing all my
> > > > files. I checked and I see a lot of people with the same type of problem
> > > > with
> > > > backups. Could this be solved or do I have to reinstall or should I get
> > > > third party backup. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS
> > > > 32
> > > > bit with 2046 MB memory, Intel Core 2 CPU. Any help will be useful.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Dennis
> > >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back up d/dr.. premium vista, dual h/drive. rugged microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 0 01-08-2008 23:11
Vista Premium upgrade Oops no back up Jaggs microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 12-12-2007 05:48
Complete PC Back Up for Vista Home Premium Phyllis No Last Name microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 11-06-2007 17:57
Back-Up Help on Vista Home Premium please Mark microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 1 05-29-2007 22:59
Back-Up Help on Vista Home Premium Please Mark microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 05-29-2007 12:16




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:02.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120