Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Issues with Backup and Restore Center in Vista Professional

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2008
Eric
 

Posts: n/a
Issues with Backup and Restore Center in Vista Professional
I am a relatively experienced user with Windows.

I have two issues with this product:

1) Is there any way to do a selective backup? It appears you can only
backup selected full disks.

2) I receive errors "File backup failed. The error is: The process cannot
access the file because it is being used by another process. (0x80070020)."

There doesn't seem to be any information regarding which file this is. I
searched on "Backup Log" but there were no hits. The Backup and Restore
center has no "View Log" and to me it is severely brain damaged if it can't
tell me which file it cannot access. There are also no hits on MS site
regarding what this message means and what file it is referring to.

--
Eric Levinson

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2008
John Hanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Issues with Backup and Restore Center in Vista Professional
1. Are you talking about backing up files or trying to do a Full System
Backup?
2. What do you mean by "selected full disks"?
3. What is your backup destination; e.g. is it an external hard drive, is
it CD'S, etc.?

"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A37C8CF8-B522-4376-A911-6F94E37C0B0C@microsoft.com...
>I am a relatively experienced user with Windows.
>
> I have two issues with this product:
>
> 1) Is there any way to do a selective backup? It appears you can only
> backup selected full disks.
>
> 2) I receive errors "File backup failed. The error is: The process cannot
> access the file because it is being used by another process.
> (0x80070020)."
>
> There doesn't seem to be any information regarding which file this is. I
> searched on "Backup Log" but there were no hits. The Backup and Restore
> center has no "View Log" and to me it is severely brain damaged if it
> can't
> tell me which file it cannot access. There are also no hits on MS site
> regarding what this message means and what file it is referring to.
>
> --
> Eric Levinson
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2008
Eric
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Issues with Backup and Restore Center in Vista Professional
Hi John, thanks for your question.

1. Either or. I should be able to see a tree view of all my fixed disks and
select which folders I want backed up. I see just disk drives and I cannot
select or deselect any files or folders in them.

2) You can choose either to back up D: or not to backup D:. I can't tell it
to only backup D:\Data (as an example, if all my data was in a directory
Data on the D Drive, unless I am missing an option somewhere, but I looked in
the help files and nothing about selective backups.


Backup destinations are fixed USB disks.

--
Eric Levinson



"John Hanley" wrote:

> 1. Are you talking about backing up files or trying to do a Full System
> Backup?
> 2. What do you mean by "selected full disks"?
> 3. What is your backup destination; e.g. is it an external hard drive, is
> it CD'S, etc.?
>
> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A37C8CF8-B522-4376-A911-6F94E37C0B0C@microsoft.com...
> >I am a relatively experienced user with Windows.
> >
> > I have two issues with this product:
> >
> > 1) Is there any way to do a selective backup? It appears you can only
> > backup selected full disks.
> >
> > 2) I receive errors "File backup failed. The error is: The process cannot
> > access the file because it is being used by another process.
> > (0x80070020)."
> >
> > There doesn't seem to be any information regarding which file this is. I
> > searched on "Backup Log" but there were no hits. The Backup and Restore
> > center has no "View Log" and to me it is severely brain damaged if it
> > can't
> > tell me which file it cannot access. There are also no hits on MS site
> > regarding what this message means and what file it is referring to.
> >
> > --
> > Eric Levinson
> >

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2008
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Issues with Backup and Restore Center in Vista Professional
To expound on john's reply - "Complete backup" e.g. full backup does not
provide for folder or ffile seletion - only the drive- the backup is
created as a "VHD" - virtual hard drive which can be "mounted" and
Individual folder/files restored.

File backups are in "ZIP" format and can be opened by any of the zip
utilites such as WinZip - in addition to the normal restore option.


"Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:22A8EF62-7365-433B-BA8F-2B1CE0E88184@microsoft.com...
> Hi John, thanks for your question.
>
> 1. Either or. I should be able to see a tree view of all my fixed disks
> and
> select which folders I want backed up. I see just disk drives and I
> cannot
> select or deselect any files or folders in them.
>
> 2) You can choose either to back up D: or not to backup D:. I can't tell
> it
> to only backup D:\Data (as an example, if all my data was in a directory
> Data on the D Drive, unless I am missing an option somewhere, but I looked
> in
> the help files and nothing about selective backups.
>
>
> Backup destinations are fixed USB disks.
>
> --
> Eric Levinson
>
>
>
> "John Hanley" wrote:
>
>> 1. Are you talking about backing up files or trying to do a Full System
>> Backup?
>> 2. What do you mean by "selected full disks"?
>> 3. What is your backup destination; e.g. is it an external hard drive,
>> is
>> it CD'S, etc.?
>>
>> "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A37C8CF8-B522-4376-A911-6F94E37C0B0C@microsoft.com...
>> >I am a relatively experienced user with Windows.
>> >
>> > I have two issues with this product:
>> >
>> > 1) Is there any way to do a selective backup? It appears you can only
>> > backup selected full disks.
>> >
>> > 2) I receive errors "File backup failed. The error is: The process
>> > cannot
>> > access the file because it is being used by another process.
>> > (0x80070020)."
>> >
>> > There doesn't seem to be any information regarding which file this is.
>> > I
>> > searched on "Backup Log" but there were no hits. The Backup and
>> > Restore
>> > center has no "View Log" and to me it is severely brain damaged if it
>> > can't
>> > tell me which file it cannot access. There are also no hits on MS site
>> > regarding what this message means and what file it is referring to.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Eric Levinson
>> >

>>
>>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backup / restore issues Mick microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 07-19-2007 21:26
Restore Files from Vista x86 backup issues bearcat245 microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 8 07-04-2007 13:24
Vista backup and restore center Troy McClure microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 17 04-10-2007 02:44
backup and restore center Tim Draper microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 02-28-2007 20:03
Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center =?Utf-8?B?U3Rhbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 5 12-18-2006 20:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120