Vista memory tester keeps running at each boot

Rui Correia (MCSE)

Vista memory tester keeps running at each boot
Hello there!

I recently had a bad memory stick that was randomly crashing apps and
services and vista recommended that I use it's integrated memory testing
tool. I did so and it rebooted to run the test. Surely enough it detected RAM
problems as early as 0,1% of the test, so I went to the manufacturer and they
replaced the bad module and all was fine. I ran the memory tester again and
it passed the test with no errors.

the problem is that now, every time I turn on the computer, the memory test
starts again, although it never detects any problems. I tried the memory
tester on my other pc, to see if it was an issue and sure enough, as soon as
I run it once, it stays on the boot initialization sequence forever. Now I
have 2 computers that keep running memory tester every time I turn them on.

The path to launch the tool is "%SystemRoot%\system32\MdSched.exe" and it
configures your boot initialization sequence to run the test the next time
you boot it. The problem is that after completion it doesn't remove that
entry and it will start every time you turn the pc on.

The memory tester is not a service, nor does it show up under any of the
tabs using MSconfig. It seems to be a DOS-like tool that runs on system boot.

I am not too comfortable with the new BCD and the bcdedit tool in vista, to
know how to remove it from the startup sequence.

So my question is: Does anyone know how to prevent memory tester from
running every time I turn on my computer?

It's not affecting anything on my computer, it's just annoying.

thanks in advance for any attention dedicated to this matter
MIC

Re: Vista memory tester keeps running at each boot

does the memory tester show in windows defender start-up programs, if it
does you can disable it, is it a scheduled task, maybe it can be
disabled from command prompt,i will have a look on the net for a
solution. . i use memtest to check ram, i prefer to use third party
programs to microsoft as they tend to be less buggy.good luck

--
MIC
MIC's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39365

http://forums.techarena.in

GyAzJRD

Rui Correia (MCSE);580803 Wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I recently had a bad memory stick that was randomly crashing apps and
> services and vista recommended that I use it's integrated memory
> testing
> tool. I did so and it rebooted to run the test. Surely enough it
> detected RAM
> problems as early as 0,1% of the test, so I went to the manufacturer
> and they
> replaced the bad module and all was fine. I ran the memory tester again
> and
> it passed the test with no errors.
>
> the problem is that now, every time I turn on the computer, the memory
> test
> starts again, although it never detects any problems. I tried the
> memory
> tester on my other pc, to see if it was an issue and sure enough, as
> soon as
> I run it once, it stays on the boot initialization sequence forever.
> Now I
> have 2 computers that keep running memory tester every time I turn them
> on.
>
> The path to launch the tool is "%SystemRoot%\system32\MdSched.exe" and
> it
> configures your boot initialization sequence to run the test the next
> time
> you boot it. The problem is that after completion it doesn't remove
> that
> entry and it will start every time you turn the pc on.
>
> The memory tester is not a service, nor does it show up under any of
> the
> tabs using MSconfig. It seems to be a DOS-like tool that runs on system
> boot.
>
> I am not too comfortable with the new BCD and the bcdedit tool in
> vista, to
> know how to remove it from the startup sequence.
>
> So my question is: Does anyone know how to prevent memory tester from
> running every time I turn on my computer?
>
> It's not affecting anything on my computer, it's just annoying.
>
> thanks in advance for any attention dedicated to this matter

- *::I have a similar problem:::*
- *::After SP1 install and running Memory Test on next restart,
MemTest runs, and runs, and runs. Cannot terminate with ESC -- just
restarts the test. CTRL-ALT-DEL, Power OFF, Repair StartUP, or
Restore, all which seem successful, only restarts test. NO MEMORY
Errors! But always restarts test.::*
- *::Can use DOS Commands to rename or delete files, but need
help!::*
- **

--
GyAzJRD