What can garbled startup tone mean?

gregrocker

What can garbled startup tone mean?
I have garbled start-up music (the tones played when Vista logo shows on
startup) about 3/4 of the time I start-up. A friend says it can mean corrupt
start-up but I ran the start-up repair and it shows nothing. Is it possible
to repair the file, or is this something that needs further troubleshooting?
Thanks.
brink

Re: What can garbled startup tone mean?

Hi Greg,

I would not worry about it. It just means that there is alot of stuff
starting up which is slowing down the response time. This will cause the
slow or bad startup sound. You can check to see how many programs you
have listed to startup with Vista to see if there is anything you do not
want at startup and disable them. This can help speed it up so it can
play the sound normally. Se Method Two here for how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
gregrocker

Re: What can garbled startup tone mean?
I actually have nothing checked right now in my msconfig start-up tab. I did
a clean reinstall a few weeks back and the eMachines tech told me I could
uncheck everything because anything like the OS, my AVG, or driver-related
which needed to load would load itself. (see my post below 1/18 asking about
this) This seems to work as I have no performance related issues except my
Yahoo Widgets wouldn't load so I went ahead and checked them. There are a
few Windows functions listed in the Defender Software Explorer Start-up, but
right now I can't say that overloaded Start Up could be my problem with
having the Start-up tone garbled. Maybe it is something I unchecked?

gregrocker;580313 Wrote:
> I actually have nothing checked right now in my msconfig start-up tab. I
> did
> a clean reinstall a few weeks back and the eMachines tech told me I
> could
> uncheck everything because anything like the OS, my AVG, or
> driver-related
> which needed to load would load itself. (see my post below 1/18 asking
> about
> this) This seems to work as I have no performance related issues except
> my
> Yahoo Widgets wouldn't load so I went ahead and checked them. There are
> few Windows functions listed in the Defender Software Explorer
> Start-up, but
> right now I can't say that overloaded Start Up could be my problem with
> having the Start-up tone garbled. Maybe it is something I unchecked?
>
> "brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Hi Greg,
> > >
> > > I would not worry about it. It just means that there is alot of stuff
> > > starting up which is slowing down the response time. This will cause

> > the
> > > slow or bad startup sound. You can check to see how many programs you
> > > have listed to startup with Vista to see if there is anything you do

> > not
> > > want at startup and disable them. This can help speed it up so it can
> > > play the sound normally. Se Method Two here for how.
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Greg,

Does the audio play fine once you are started up into the desktop?

From my experience it has always turned out to be something that was
sound. I would make sure that you had anything related to the audio
drivers selected. You can check them to see.

As a test to see with bare minimum loading:

1. Open MS config.
2. Click on the Boot tab
3. Check Safe boot and click OK
4. Restart the computer.
NOTE: This will boot the computer into safe mode only loading what
Vista needs to run. If the sound plays fine, then it is something that
is loading.

In Safe Mode:
1. Open MS config.
2. Click on the General tab.
3. Dot Normal startup
4. Click OK.
NOTE: This will allow the computer to boot normally again.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
gregrocker

Re: What can garbled startup tone mean?
I tried your suggestion below and restarted to safe mode but there is no
sound at all, which I think is standard for safe mode. Went ahead and ticked
msconfig's Normal Startup and restarted with all dozen boxes checked and
the sound is still garbled. So I unchecked all the boxes again and restarted
with the sound again garbled - no difference. Any other ideas?

gregrocker;580431 Wrote:
> I tried your suggestion below and restarted to safe mode but there is no
> sound at all, which I think is standard for safe mode. Went ahead and
> ticked
> msconfig's Normal Startup and restarted with all dozen boxes checked
> and
> the sound is still garbled. So I unchecked all the boxes again and
> restarted
> with the sound again garbled - no difference. Any other ideas?
>
> "brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > gregrocker;580313 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Greg,
> > >
> > > Does the audio play fine once you are started up into the desktop?
> > >
> > > From my experience it has always turned out to be something that was
> > > sound. I would make sure that you had anything related to the audio
> > > drivers selected. You can check them to see.
> > >

> > > As a test to see with bare minimum loading:
> > >
> > > 1. Open MS config.
> > > 2. Click on the Boot tab
> > > 3. Check Safe boot and click OK
> > > 4. Restart the computer.
> > > NOTE: This will boot the computer into safe mode only loading what
> > > Vista needs to run. If the sound plays fine, then it is something

> > that
> > > is loading.
> > >
> > > In Safe Mode:
> > > 1. Open MS config.
> > > 2. Click on the General tab.
> > > 3. Dot Normal startup
> > > 4. Click OK.
> > > NOTE: This will allow the computer to boot normally again.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Sorry Greg,

The only thing I can think of left to try is to reinstall the audio
driver.

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Eric

RE: What can garbled startup tone mean?
During the Windows Vista sound chime, there shouldn't be any other
applications and services running.

I believe your issue might be driver related, as drivers are loading at the
time the vista logo and chime comes up. Make sure you have all the latest
sound, video and motherboard drivers.

The other option could be having too many devices on the same hardware
interrupt level. You may want to look at your device manager and check the
resource tabs for your video, sound and I/O cards. If you notice two or more
cards have the same IRQ level, then change one of them, and restart.

Also, check your CMOS to make sure you are taking advantage of multiple
CPU's if you have them, CPU cache, Direct Memory Access.

If you are overclocking your CPU, then disable this, sometimes overclocking
causes performance degradation. If you don't know what this means, then
disregard this.

Last option, reimage your machine (backup your files, then use the recovery
CD and wipe our your hard disk and start over with a new Vista install.)
--
Eric Levinson