Wake from sleep mode has become very slow - please help!

Nuzy

Wake from sleep mode has become very slow - please help!
I used to be able to put my pc in sleep mode and it would wake within a few
seconds of me clicking the mouse, hitting a key, etc. Within the last few
weeks (not sure exactly when) it now takes 18 seconds (give or take a couple)
to wake from sleep mode. It brings up the desktop and then kind of hangs so I
can't launch any applications, although I can move the mouse around. I have
searched the net and tried all kinds of troubleshooting, but can't figure out
what happened to cause the slow wake time.

I uninstalled some vista updates that occured within the last couple weeks -
no change. I disconnected a second internal hard drive (for media file
storage, not bootable) that I installed a couple weeks ago thinking it was a
power supply or bad drive issue - no change. I removed my 8800gt video card
and replaced it with the original 7300LE that came with my system just in
case it might be a power supply or video card issue - no change.

What else can I do to diagnose what might be causing this slow wake time?

Thank you for any suggestions you might have. This is driving me crazy since
it used to be so much quicker, woke within a few second to now taking almost
20.

System is a Dell XPS 410 BIOS 2.5.3 (current), E6420 processor, 320GB SATA
II drive, 750GB SATA II drive, XFX 8800GT 512MB video card using 169.25 vista
32-bit WHQL driver.
Nuzy

RE: Wake from sleep mode has become very slow - please help!
Just bumping this once in case it was a slow weekend and not many people saw
it - any suggestions would be appreciated. I've searched all over the place
and come up empty. Thought this might be the best place to get a reply, but
no dice. Is there a way to diagnose whether this is problem with a a bad
driver? Any one think the KB928135 patch that must be requested from
microsoft will help, or is that only for permanent hangs on resume/wake
versus a long delay? I'm starting to think I need to wait for SP1 or perform
a factory reinstall on my system. Thanks!

"Nuzy" wrote:

> I used to be able to put my pc in sleep mode and it would wake within a few
> seconds of me clicking the mouse, hitting a key, etc. Within the last few
> weeks (not sure exactly when) it now takes 18 seconds (give or take a couple)
> to wake from sleep mode. It brings up the desktop and then kind of hangs so I
> can't launch any applications, although I can move the mouse around. I have
> searched the net and tried all kinds of troubleshooting, but can't figure out
> what happened to cause the slow wake time.
>
> I uninstalled some vista updates that occured within the last couple weeks -
> no change. I disconnected a second internal hard drive (for media file
> storage, not bootable) that I installed a couple weeks ago thinking it was a
> power supply or bad drive issue - no change. I removed my 8800gt video card
> and replaced it with the original 7300LE that came with my system just in
> case it might be a power supply or video card issue - no change.
>
> What else can I do to diagnose what might be causing this slow wake time?
>
> Thank you for any suggestions you might have. This is driving me crazy since
> it used to be so much quicker, woke within a few second to now taking almost
> 20.
>
> System is a Dell XPS 410 BIOS 2.5.3 (current), E6420 processor, 320GB SATA
> II drive, 750GB SATA II drive, XFX 8800GT 512MB video card using 169.25 vista
> 32-bit WHQL driver.

terbos

Re: Wake from sleep mode has become very slow - please help!

I just built a new Vista x64 system last weekend (my first) and it has
the same problem, but worse.

When I first built it, it worked fine, but after a couple days, I
noticed that it was taking 4 to 5 minutes after waking from sleep before
it would do anything useful. I can move the mouse and open Explorer
windows, but it seems as if the filesystem is hung and waiting for
something because the disk light is on solid, but there's no noise from
the HDD.

Very strange indeed.

Terry

--
terbos
terbos

Re: Wake from sleep mode has become very slow - please help!

Wanted to post that I found the solution to my particular problem.

Turns out that the problem was caused by the SATA driver acoustic
management mode. When I enabled the AMM using the checkbox in the
driver page, there was always some sort of delay when booting, and a
really long delay when waking from S3 sleep.

When I unchecked AMM, the problem went away and everything seems to
work fine now.

System details:
HDD - Maxtor 500GB SATA
driver - nVidia driver