You need to be an administrator to run backup

Michael

You need to be an administrator to run backup
Judging from the the explanations & helpfiles for file backup, a standard
user should be able to call up the backup and restore center, click on "back
up files" and then be prompted (by UAC?) for administrative rights. Is that
correct?

However, when I try this, I get an error message that states "You need to be
an administrator to run backup" - and requires me to use fast user switching
or log-off / log-on as administrator to run the backup.

Am I doing sth wrong that I get this message & have to go through the extra
step of switching log-ons?
Rick Rogers

Re: You need to be an administrator to run backup
Hi,

Right click the link to start the backup utility, choose 'run as
administrator' instead of just opening it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Judging from the the explanations & helpfiles for file backup, a standard
> user should be able to call up the backup and restore center, click on
> "back
> up files" and then be prompted (by UAC?) for administrative rights. Is
> that
> correct?
>
> However, when I try this, I get an error message that states "You need to
> be
> an administrator to run backup" - and requires me to use fast user
> switching
> or log-off / log-on as administrator to run the backup.
>
> Am I doing sth wrong that I get this message & have to go through the
> extra
> step of switching log-ons?

Michael

Re: You need to be an administrator to run backup
Hi - I had thought so, too. Only I still get the same message even after I
launched the backup and restore center by right-clicking its start menu-entry
and selecting "run as administrator". Or is there another way to get there
that doesn't require launching the backup and restore center first?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Right click the link to start the backup utility, choose 'run as
> administrator' instead of just opening it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Judging from the the explanations & helpfiles for file backup, a standard
> > user should be able to call up the backup and restore center, click on
> > "back
> > up files" and then be prompted (by UAC?) for administrative rights. Is
> > that
> > correct?
> >
> > However, when I try this, I get an error message that states "You need to
> > be
> > an administrator to run backup" - and requires me to use fast user
> > switching
> > or log-off / log-on as administrator to run the backup.
> >
> > Am I doing sth wrong that I get this message & have to go through the
> > extra
> > step of switching log-ons?

Rick Rogers

Re: You need to be an administrator to run backup
Hi Michael,

Nope, no other way.

--

> Hi - I had thought so, too. Only I still get the same message even after
> launched the backup and restore center by right-clicking its start
> menu-entry
> and selecting "run as administrator". Or is there another way to get
> there
> that doesn't require launching the backup and restore center first?
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Right click the link to start the backup utility, choose 'run as
>> administrator' instead of just opening it.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Judging from the the explanations & helpfiles for file backup, a
>> > standard
>> > user should be able to call up the backup and restore center, click on
>> > "back
>> > up files" and then be prompted (by UAC?) for administrative rights. Is
>> > that
>> > correct?
>> >
>> > However, when I try this, I get an error message that states "You need
>> > be
>> > an administrator to run backup" - and requires me to use fast user
>> > switching
>> > or log-off / log-on as administrator to run the backup.
>> >
>> > Am I doing sth wrong that I get this message & have to go through the
>> > extra
>> > step of switching log-ons?

Michael

Re: You need to be an administrator to run backup
Hi,

Just to confirm:

To manually start a file backup, I must be logged on with an administrator
account. There is no way that Vista will recognise I need administrative
rights and then prompt me (via UAC) to the appropriate credentials. Is that
correct?

Michael

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Nope, no other way.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - I had thought so, too. Only I still get the same message even after
> > launched the backup and restore center by right-clicking its start
> > menu-entry
> > and selecting "run as administrator". Or is there another way to get
> > there
> > that doesn't require launching the backup and restore center first?
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Right click the link to start the backup utility, choose 'run as
> >> administrator' instead of just opening it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: You need to be an administrator to run backup
Hi,

Due to the nature of the backup program, it needs admin credentials to run,
yes.

--

> Hi,
>
> Just to confirm:
>
> To manually start a file backup, I must be logged on with an administrator
> account. There is no way that Vista will recognise I need
> administrative
> rights and then prompt me (via UAC) to the appropriate credentials. Is
> that
> correct?
>
> Michael
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Nope, no other way.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi - I had thought so, too. Only I still get the same message even
>> > after
>> > launched the backup and restore center by right-clicking its start
>> > menu-entry
>> > and selecting "run as administrator". Or is there another way to get
>> > there
>> > that doesn't require launching the backup and restore center first?

Michael

Re: You need to be an administrator to run backup
No question there at all - the backup tool does need these privileges, so be
it.

It seems to me that most (all?) applications that require administrative
privileges in Vista can get these via UAC even if launched from a "Standard
user" account. Why wasn't the same method implemented with the Vista Backup
tool?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Due to the nature of the backup program, it needs admin credentials to run,
> yes.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just to confirm:
> >
> > To manually start a file backup, I must be logged on with an administrator
> > account. There is no way that Vista will recognise I need
> > administrative
> > rights and then prompt me (via UAC) to the appropriate credentials. Is
> > that
> > correct?
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Michael,
> >>
> >> Nope, no other way.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Mr Phenom

Re: You need to be an administrator to run backup

Hi By the way thats a load of rubbish if it says that find your vista
disc

oh your back already... now put that in your cd drive and then restart
you computer and keep pressing f11 the very second you see the screen
come on
and then a wierd unfancy screen will come on now look for a drive that
says somethin to do with cd or dvd and then once youve found it move up
or down to it and then press enter on it now once youve done that it'll
run in and come up with something to do with press any key then just
keep tapping your spacebar dead fast now once the screen goes black wait
for it to load by the way it takes a very long time so just be patient i
reccomend making a drink whatever you do dont think that it has crashed
because i promise you it aint
now once the next window comes on screen select your county then click
next and youll se e install windows in big ignore that now go to the
bottom left of that screen and you should see repair your computer now
click that and then the next thing you'll see should have the option
you'r lookin for then restore from there it may take a while to load the
item your waiting for so just be patient now just make yourself somthing
to eat while you waiting and once its loaded its the same interface from
there and then once it done let your computer restart and then it should
be where you wanted it to be

have fun oh and by the way when some one says you cant do somthing on a
computer its a load of rubbish i can garuntee you can do anyhing if you
try hard enough (on a computer that is... you can usually just download
software that tells it how to do it)

--
Mr Phenom