Start up Programs

Gemius

Start up Programs
I have Vista Home Premium and would like to check the programs running on
start up. I understand that this is done through Windows Defender but as I
subscribe to Live OneCare, Defender is disabled.
Is it OK to enable Defender or will doing that affect Live OneCare as I
don't believe I should run them both at the same time.

Dwarf

RE: Start up Programs
Hi Gemius,

As far as I know, Live OneCare has an updated version of Defender which runs
in place of the default Windows Defender that is installed with Vista and is
therefore disabled by the newer version. Since I don't have OneCare I cannot
tell you whether or not this is correct. However, there is another way to
check what programs you have running on startup. Click the start orb and type
'msconfig' in the search box and press enter. After providing administrative
credentials, the program appears. Select the 'Startup' tab. This displays a
list of all programs that are automatically run via the registry. You can
enable and disable them here, although be aware that doing so can lead to
problems with other programs not working correctly. These programs
automatically run for all users. Another location is the 'Startup' folder on
the 'All Programs' menu. This contains shortcuts to programs that
automatically startup for the currently logged on user. Each user may have
different programs that they wish to start automatically, so the shortcut for
these programs are located here. To disable one of these programs, simply
disable the shortcut. To reenable it, restore the shortcut. Likewise, if you
have a program that you want to run automatically on startup, simply add a
shortcut to this folder. This folder is located in the following location
given below (note that you will need to enable 'Show hidden files and
folders' in the 'View' tab of the 'Folder Options' dialogue which is found by
clicking the start orb and typing 'folder options' in the search box and
pressing enter).
Dwarf

'C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs'