Slow software installation

Kibbles

Slow software installation
I recently built a new PC with Vista and everything is fine.

Except, when I install software from the DVD drive, installation takes
forever, the drive will stop reading and Vista will occasionally freeze
(except for the mouse cursor). I've found if I keep ejecting the disc and
re-inserting it, eventually, it'll resume installation for a few seconds.
Then it'll die and I'll have to resort to re-inserting the DVD.

It's also happened when ripping CDs in Windows Media Player.

Are there any solutions / tips for this problem? It's pretty frustrating.

My system spec is...

AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+
2gb (2 x1gb) Patriot Extreme RAM PC6400
ATi HD 3850 512mb
Gigabyte MA56-S3 Motherboard
Samsung SH203-N DVD-RW SATA
Hitachi DeskStar 320gb 7,200rpm SATA2 HDD
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Phillips

Re: Slow software installation
I would check if the SATA chipset driver for 64 bit are necessary at Vista
install as well as DVD-RV drive 64Bit drivers.

Michael

"Kibbles" <Kibbles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently built a new PC with Vista and everything is fine.
>
> Except, when I install software from the DVD drive, installation takes
> forever, the drive will stop reading and Vista will occasionally freeze
> (except for the mouse cursor). I've found if I keep ejecting the disc and
> re-inserting it, eventually, it'll resume installation for a few seconds.
> Then it'll die and I'll have to resort to re-inserting the DVD.
>
> It's also happened when ripping CDs in Windows Media Player.
>
> Are there any solutions / tips for this problem? It's pretty frustrating.
>
> My system spec is...
>
> AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+
> 2gb (2 x1gb) Patriot Extreme RAM PC6400
> ATi HD 3850 512mb
> Gigabyte MA56-S3 Motherboard
> Samsung SH203-N DVD-RW SATA
> Hitachi DeskStar 320gb 7,200rpm SATA2 HDD
> Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Kibbles

Re: Slow software installation
Thanks for the reply.

I've used the motherboard CD to install SATA drivers and they are 64-bit
ready, the drivers on the manufacterer's site are the same version.

I can't find any drivers for my DVD-RW drive. I tried updating the firmware,
but that didn't help.

I was thinking maybe it's to do with the fact that when installing software
I'm essentially copying large files from my DVD drive to my hard drive. I've
read that Vista can struggle when moving around / editing large files. Could
this be the cause to my problem?

If so, are there any fixes?

"Phillips" wrote:

> I would check if the SATA chipset driver for 64 bit are necessary at Vista
> install as well as DVD-RV drive 64Bit drivers.
>
> Michael
>
> "Kibbles" <Kibbles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently built a new PC with Vista and everything is fine.
> >
> > Except, when I install software from the DVD drive, installation takes
> > forever, the drive will stop reading and Vista will occasionally freeze
> > (except for the mouse cursor). I've found if I keep ejecting the disc and
> > re-inserting it, eventually, it'll resume installation for a few seconds.
> > Then it'll die and I'll have to resort to re-inserting the DVD.
> >
> > It's also happened when ripping CDs in Windows Media Player.
> >
> > Are there any solutions / tips for this problem? It's pretty frustrating.
> >
> > My system spec is...
> >
> > AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+
> > 2gb (2 x1gb) Patriot Extreme RAM PC6400
> > ATi HD 3850 512mb
> > Gigabyte MA56-S3 Motherboard
> > Samsung SH203-N DVD-RW SATA
> > Hitachi DeskStar 320gb 7,200rpm SATA2 HDD
> > Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Phillips

Re: Slow software installation
hmmm, try copying the DVD files on hdd and install from there... see the
difference. One issue I might think of is compressed files that Vista seems
sluggish at decompressing - at least for .zip and .rar.
On the DVD Drive manufacturer website, or in Nero etc there are tools for
assesing DVD drive file transfer speeds - pending the quality of the DVD
etc. Try to asses that too.

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I've used the motherboard CD to install SATA drivers and they are 64-bit
> ready, the drivers on the manufacterer's site are the same version.
>
> I can't find any drivers for my DVD-RW drive. I tried updating the
> firmware,
> but that didn't help.
>
> I was thinking maybe it's to do with the fact that when installing
> software
> I'm essentially copying large files from my DVD drive to my hard drive.
> I've
> read that Vista can struggle when moving around / editing large files.
> Could
> this be the cause to my problem?
>
> If so, are there any fixes?
>
> "Phillips" wrote:
>
>> I would check if the SATA chipset driver for 64 bit are necessary at
>> Vista
>> install as well as DVD-RV drive 64Bit drivers.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "Kibbles" <Kibbles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently built a new PC with Vista and everything is fine.
>> >
>> > Except, when I install software from the DVD drive, installation takes
>> > forever, the drive will stop reading and Vista will occasionally freeze
>> > (except for the mouse cursor). I've found if I keep ejecting the disc
>> > and
>> > re-inserting it, eventually, it'll resume installation for a few
>> > seconds.
>> > Then it'll die and I'll have to resort to re-inserting the DVD.
>> >
>> > It's also happened when ripping CDs in Windows Media Player.
>> >
>> > Are there any solutions / tips for this problem? It's pretty
>> > frustrating.
>> >
>> > My system spec is...
>> >
>> > AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+
>> > 2gb (2 x1gb) Patriot Extreme RAM PC6400
>> > ATi HD 3850 512mb
>> > Gigabyte MA56-S3 Motherboard
>> > Samsung SH203-N DVD-RW SATA
>> > Hitachi DeskStar 320gb 7,200rpm SATA2 HDD
>> > Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

sparkin

Re: Slow software installation

I have the same problem. Was beginning to think it was the DVD drive
but I have OPTIARC AD-7200S and the problem is exactly as described in
this post. Worthy of note is that it worked fine with XP. Problems
only started once I installed VISTA.

--
sparkin