Cannot access Device Manager

Jaan Warnhoff

Cannot access Device Manager
Suddenly I can't access Device Manager via Control Panel/System. When I click
on the link that should open the Device Manager, nothing at all happens. The
link has been deactivated!!??

I can still start the device mgr by running the file directly from Win32.

Any ideas, someone please?
--
Warnhoff
Kontaminator

Re: Cannot access Device Manager

Did you get this fixed in the end?

As I have an OCD where stupid glitchy bugs are concerned I was foolish
enough to completely wipe my Vista install and re-install from scratch.

After installing Service Pack 1 the problem is back.

It's such a lame and simple thing that should just work - Vista really
is a pile of sh*t!

--
Kontaminator

Vic1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen to me but I noticed that I can still access Device Manager by clicking on the change settings button on the same page, it's over on the lower right. I can also access Device Manager by typing in devmgmt.msc into the run window and hitting enter and it gets me there every time. It sucks but it's better than reloading Vista again.
John Edwards

Re: Cannot access Device Manager

Same here (pre-SP1) - it has always been like that (and sfc /scannow
didn't show anything up). I've just successfully completed a Repair
Install of Vista (Home Premium-32 bit) and it's still the same.
Incidentally, I can also access Device Manager from the 'Advanced system
settings' link at the bottom of the same list on 'System'.
In passing, what is the quickest way of accessing Task Manager????

--
John Edwards

Vic1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent a few hours with Microsoft on the phone trying to resolve this problem and they could not fix it. They said to wait a few months for some patches. That was it.
Mick Murphy

Re: Cannot access Device Manager
Right-click on the Task Bar>Task manager

Cheers!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"John Edwards" wrote:

> Same here (pre-SP1) - it has always been like that (and sfc /scannow
> didn't show anything up). I've just successfully completed a Repair
> Install of Vista (Home Premium-32 bit) and it's still the same.
> Incidentally, I can also access Device Manager from the 'Advanced system
> settings' link at the bottom of the same list on 'System'.
> In passing, what is the quickest way of accessing Task Manager????
>

> --
> John Edwards

Mr. T.

Re: Cannot access Device Manager
Have you tried pressing control-alt-delete at the same time?