Start-up, Freeze-Up

silencer543

Start-up, Freeze-Up
Hey, I recently purchased (around Christmas) a new computer, with Vista
pre-installed on it. However, as of today, my computer turns on, starts-up
fine, and then won't load any programs, and sub-sequently locks up when I try
to click on anything. Nothing has changed since today and yesterday, so I'm
looking for some practical solutions.
Rick Rogers

Re: Start-up, Freeze-Up
Hi,

Hit F8 at boot to access safe mode, see if the problem still occurs there.
If so, then you may have a hardware failure and the manufacturer should be
contacted for service. If not, then something recently installed or updated
has corrupted the explorer shell, and will need to be isolated and removed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"silencer543" <silencer543@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsBC12FCB-F667-4FD4-B3DF-4E7A3BA7D680@microsoft.com...
> Hey, I recently purchased (around Christmas) a new computer, with Vista
> pre-installed on it. However, as of today, my computer turns on, starts-up
> fine, and then won't load any programs, and sub-sequently locks up when I
> try
> to click on anything. Nothing has changed since today and yesterday, so
> I'm
> looking for some practical solutions.

nfmom

Re: Start-up, Freeze-Up

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hit F8 at boot to access safe mode, see if the problem still occurs there.
> If so, then you may have a hardware failure and the manufacturer should be
> contacted for service. If not, then something recently installed or updated
> has corrupted the explorer shell, and will need to be isolated and removed.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "silencer543" <silencer543@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsBC12FCB-F667-4FD4-B3DF-4E7A3BA7D680@microsoft.com...
> > Hey, I recently purchased (around Christmas) a new computer, with Vista
> > pre-installed on it. However, as of today, my computer turns on, starts-up
> > fine, and then won't load any programs, and sub-sequently locks up when I
> > try
> > to click on anything. Nothing has changed since today and yesterday, so
> > I'm
> > looking for some practical solutions.

silencer543

Re: Start-up, Freeze-Up
Ok, safe mode works fine. Now, I don't know how to figure out what's causing
the problem. Any ideas/tips would be appreciated.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hit F8 at boot to access safe mode, see if the problem still occurs there.
> If so, then you may have a hardware failure and the manufacturer should be
> contacted for service. If not, then something recently installed or updated
> has corrupted the explorer shell, and will need to be isolated and removed.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "silencer543" <silencer543@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsBC12FCB-F667-4FD4-B3DF-4E7A3BA7D680@microsoft.com...
> > Hey, I recently purchased (around Christmas) a new computer, with Vista
> > pre-installed on it. However, as of today, my computer turns on, starts-up
> > fine, and then won't load any programs, and sub-sequently locks up when I
> > try
> > to click on anything. Nothing has changed since today and yesterday, so
> > I'm
> > looking for some practical solutions.

Rick Rogers

Re: Start-up, Freeze-Up
Hi,

Run msconfig from the search line in Safe mode, put the system in diagnostic
mode, then reboot. See if this allows a normal startup. If so, move to
selective startup and slowly re-enable a few startup applications and
services at a time (I usually do 4 or 5 per boot) until the problem returns.
Once it does, you'll know that it's one of the recently reactivated
applications or services, isolate by trial and error.