Replacing elederly computer running Windows 98

David

Replacing elederly computer running Windows 98
I have to replace an elderly computer running Windows 98. I also have a
second machine running XP Home.

Is the Vista operating system now as stable as XP.
I run several older applications including Quicken 2000, Quicken is no
longer supported in the UK. Will I definitely have to to upgrade all older
software or should will they work with Vista. I don't want to upgrade
software particularly everything I run does what I want.

If I decided to go for one running XP anyone any idea how long that is
likely to be supported for??

Many Thanks

David
Malke

Re: Replacing elederly computer running Windows 98
David wrote:
> I have to replace an elderly computer running Windows 98. I also have a
> second machine running XP Home.
>
> Is the Vista operating system now as stable as XP.
> I run several older applications including Quicken 2000, Quicken is no
> longer supported in the UK. Will I definitely have to to upgrade all older
> software or should will they work with Vista. I don't want to upgrade
> software particularly everything I run does what I want.
>
> If I decided to go for one running XP anyone any idea how long that is
> likely to be supported for??

In your case, it would be better to get a new computer running XP. You
will definitely need to upgrade Quicken to work with Vista. As for your
other software, you'll need to go to each program's website and see what
it says about Vista compatibility.

As for official MS support for older operating systems, see:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

I still have a lot of clients purchasing XP.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
mikeyhsd

Re: Replacing elederly computer running Windows 98
no need to buy a new computer. so long as the XP one is performing ok for you.

there is supposed to be several more years for SOME XP support.

you can always ask in the XP news groups for help if need be.

save up the money and buy a new computer when you have the funds to upgrade all the OLD software you NEED.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C78B9C7-03F4-43A7-8EE4-2FE4DC05F59C@microsoft.com...
I have to replace an elderly computer running Windows 98. I also have a
second machine running XP Home.

Is the Vista operating system now as stable as XP.
I run several older applications including Quicken 2000, Quicken is no
longer supported in the UK. Will I definitely have to to upgrade all older
software or should will they work with Vista. I don't want to upgrade
software particularly everything I run does what I want.

If I decided to go for one running XP anyone any idea how long that is
likely to be supported for??

Many Thanks

David
David

RE: Replacing elederly computer running Windows 98
Thank you both for your replies. It is not the XP computer I am considering
replacing that is my machine which currently goes away with me It is the home
computer (Win 98) however I may make my machine the home computer and get a
new laptop for me.

Does Vista not have any sort of emulator programme embedded which allows it
to run older applications? Unfortunately quicken I cannot upgrade ( which is
a major problem) as there is not a UK version anymore.

David

--
David

David wrote:
> Thank you both for your replies. It is not the XP computer I am considering
> replacing that is my machine which currently goes away with me It is the home
> computer (Win 98) however I may make my machine the home computer and get a
> new laptop for me.
>
> Does Vista not have any sort of emulator programme embedded which allows it
> to run older applications? Unfortunately quicken I cannot upgrade ( which is
> a major problem) as there is not a UK version anymore.

Yes, I understood that you were retiring the Win98 box. Yes, Vista does
have a compatibility feature but there is no guarantee that your
particular software or hardware (such as a printer) will work. You have
a few choices:

1. Purchase a new computer running XP after making sure that all your
stuff works with XP (don't assume this!). This is the easiest solution.

2. Purchase a new computer running Vista and either dual-boot with XP or
use virtual software (Virtual PC 2007 or VMWare) to create a virtual
machine running XP.

a. The dual-boot is tricksier - you need to make sure there are drivers
for XP for your new machine; also XP will destroy Vista's System Restore
points if the two operating systems can see each other so you need to
use a third-party boot manager.

b. Virtual computing gets around the drivers issue, although you may
have difficulties with older hardware peripherals (printers, scanners).

With either a. or b., you must own a retail version of XP, so you
increase your cost of the new computer by around $200 (or the UK
equivalent).

3. If Quicken is your only issue, then you could see if MS Money (or
another consumer-level accounting program) can import your old Quicken
files. I just looked on Amazon UK and to my amazement, I don't see
either Quicken or MS Money 2008 so I don't know what you
Across-the-Ponders would normally use.

Hope this has helped somewhat.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
mikeyhsd

Re: Replacing elederly computer running Windows 98
some companies still allow you to purchase a NEW computer with XP instead of vista.
shop around to find the one that best fits your needs.

mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

"David" wrote:

> I have to replace an elderly computer running Windows 98. I also have a
> second machine running XP Home.
>
> Is the Vista operating system now as stable as XP.
> I run several older applications including Quicken 2000, Quicken is no
> longer supported in the UK. Will I definitely have to to upgrade all older
> software or should will they work with Vista. I don't want to upgrade
> software particularly everything I run does what I want.
>
> If I decided to go for one running XP anyone any idea how long that is
> likely to be supported for??
>
> Many Thanks
>
> David

Ray

RE: Replacing elederly computer running Windows 98
<David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Does Vista not have any sort of emulator programme embedded which
> allows it to run older applications? Unfortunately quicken I
> cannot upgrade ( which is a major problem) as there is not a UK
> version anymore.

Vista has settings to emulate any of six earlier versions, ranging from
Win 95 to Win 2003 server. Whether your version of Quicken will work
is another story; you might be able to Google an answer. When I
switched to Vista I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of my
old software, some dating to 1995, worked. It took a fair amount of
experimenting and Googling, and a couple programs I never got to run
correctly. Come to think of it, the only things that didn't work under
Vista were Microsoft apps.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)