System Restore

Takesha

System Restore
When I first bought my computer with Vista I have some really bad issues with
the Norton and Mcaffe antivirus. I then downloaded Trend Micro. Between these
three programs I ended up having some drivers removed etc.(that's been
corrected). It was a huge mess and between customer support and tech. help
from Trend Micro and e-machine I ended up removing programs that I was told
were incompatable and needed to. They also had me doing so many system
restores I lost track of where I had originally started. I do know for sure
that I removed about 5 programs that were incompatible with Vista and AVG
free edition was one of them.
I am now using Windows Live OneCare anti virus and it has been doing well
but recently I received an update and now I am getting an error that Widows
Live OneCare is incapatiable with the AVG Free Edition that was once on my
computer but was removed before one of system restores. The AVG shows up in
my list of programs in the 'add and remove programs' in the control panel and
can be seen listed in my program files but if I try to remove it ( and I have
tried many times) an error occurs because it was removed a long time ago.
I have several programs that are like this but don't know how to keep them
from showing up in my add/remove or in my program files.
I tried contacting the support and help people that I bought the computer
from ( e-machine) and also contacted support from Trend Micro as it was
mostly their program that messed me up to start with, but both help and
support personnel only made things worse . I finally had to stop asking them
for help as the advise they were giving me was totally insane. I don't even
think there was a human being answering my emails from the type of answers I
was getting back.
Is it possible to get these programs from showing up and totally removed
from my computer? I know the AVG can't be conflicting with my Windows Live
OneCare because it was removed by going to the Add/remove and removing it but
I don't like looking down and seeing that my anti-virus keeps showing it is
at risk.
I am not that experienced with computers but I think I could follow
directions if someone had some " not to awfully technical advice" )
brink

Re: System Restore

Takesha;573934 Wrote:
> [...]
> for help as the advise they were giving me was totally insane. I don't
> even
> think there was a human being answering my emails from the type of
> answers I
> was getting back.
> Is it possible to get these programs from showing up and totally
> removed
> from my computer? I know the AVG can't be conflicting with my Windows
> Live
> OneCare because it was removed by going to the Add/remove and removing
> it but
> I don't like looking down and seeing that my anti-virus keeps showing
> it is
> at risk.
> I am not that experienced with computers but I think I could follow
> directions if someone had some " not to awfully technical advice" )

Hi Takeshaw,

You can use one of these methods to remove AVG from the Uninstall list
in Programs and Features. Once removed you may be able to remove it from
the Programs folder. If not, you will need to search the registry for
AVG and delete all references to it.
1. Open regedit.exe
2. Click Edit -> Find
3. Type AVG
4. Click Find Next
5. right click on what it finds and click Delete if it is related to
AVG
6. Click Edit -> Find Next
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the search results are finished.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86...all-entry.html

Hope this helps you,
Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Takesha

Re: System Restore
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Brink....your the BESTEST!

I did as you suggested and at first I thought the registry entries were
multiplying like rabbits and I would never get to the end of them. When I
finally ran out of things to delete I logged out and booted up again and
still had the problem. However, I went down through my program files and
still saw some folders remaining. After deleting those and empting my trash
can, I no longer seem to have the problems with my anti-virus showing a
conflict although the program is still showing up in my add/remove in the
control panel, but I can deal with that. Thank you.

"brink" wrote:

> [...]
> > it is
> > at risk.
> > I am not that experienced with computers but I think I could follow
> > directions if someone had some " not to awfully technical advice" )

> Hi Takeshaw,
>
> You can use one of these methods to remove AVG from the Uninstall list
> in Programs and Features. Once removed you may be able to remove it from
> the Programs folder. If not, you will need to search the registry for
> AVG and delete all references to it.
> 1. Open regedit.exe
> 2. Click Edit -> Find
> 3. Type AVG
> 4. Click Find Next
> 5. right click on what it finds and click Delete if it is related to
> AVG
> 6. Click Edit -> Find Next
> 7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the search results are finished.

brink

Re: System Restore

Takesha;574496 Wrote:
> Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Brink....your the BESTEST!
>
> I did as you suggested and at first I thought the registry entries were
> multiplying like rabbits and I would never get to the end of them. When
> finally ran out of things to delete I logged out and booted up again
> and
> still had the problem. However, I went down through my program files
> and
> still saw some folders remaining. After deleting those and empting my
> trash
> can, I no longer seem to have the problems with my anti-virus showing a
> conflict although the program is still showing up in my add/remove in
> the
> control panel, but I can deal with that. Thank you.
>
> "brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > Takesha;573934 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Takeshaw,
> > >
> > > You can use one of these methods to remove AVG from the Uninstall

> > list
> > > in Programs and Features. Once removed you may be able to remove it

> > from
> > > the Programs folder. If not, you will need to search the registry for
> > > AVG and delete all references to it.
> > > 1. Open regedit.exe
> > > 2. Click Edit -> Find
> > > 3. Type AVG
> > > 4. Click Find Next
> > > 5. right click on what it finds and click Delete if it is related to
> > > AVG
> > > 6. Click Edit -> Find Next
> > > 7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the search results are finished.
> > >

> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86...all-entry.html
> > >
> > > Hope this helps you,
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

Takesha,

I'm glad to hear the conflict is gone now. Did none of these methods
here allow you to remove the AVG entry from the Programs and Features
Uninstall list?