Instant unexpected shut downs

Pamela G

Instant unexpected shut downs
This has happened twice now. Cannot seem to find out what is going on, nor
is it happening often. But in the last week, just as I am sending an email
the computer clicks loudly and shuts down completely. No warning; nothing,
just a black screen. I need to hit the power button to boot up again, and it
lands on the choice screen asking how I want to boot up because it shut down
improperly last time. The email is gone, no record of it in drafts or sent,
and I am not really sure that is part of what triggers this. It just
happened to be what I was doing when the shutdown occurred.

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4629
Vista Ultimate 32 bit
Centrino Duo
2 Gig RAM
using Windows Mail, Avast Anti-virus (no-email scanning)
on a external fan pad for cooling, so overheating is not likely an issue
cable internet, firewalled

So, questions: where would I find a log or error for this since I am not
getting any hints in the shutdown and I didn't see anything in event viewer
except a critical note that there was an unexpected shutdown and related
services issues. And, any ideas on what is happening and how to stop it?

Thanks
Pamela

Malke

Re: Instant unexpected shut downs
Pamela G wrote:
> This has happened twice now. Cannot seem to find out what is going on,
> nor is it happening often. But in the last week, just as I am sending an
> email the computer clicks loudly and shuts down completely. No warning;
> nothing, just a black screen. I need to hit the power button to boot up
> again, and it lands on the choice screen asking how I want to boot up
> because it shut down improperly last time. The email is gone, no record
> of it in drafts or sent, and I am not really sure that is part of what
> triggers this. It just happened to be what I was doing when the shutdown
> occurred.
>
> Toshiba Satellite A205-S4629
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit
> Centrino Duo
> 2 Gig RAM
> using Windows Mail, Avast Anti-virus (no-email scanning)
> on a external fan pad for cooling, so overheating is not likely an issue
> cable internet, firewalled
>
> So, questions: where would I find a log or error for this since I am not
> getting any hints in the shutdown and I didn't see anything in event
> viewer except a critical note that there was an unexpected shutdown and
> related services issues. And, any ideas on what is happening and how to
> stop it?

It is unlikely that you'll see anything in Event Viewer since this
sounds like a hardware issue. Contact Toshiba tech support for
repair/replacement.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers