Startup Programs: Not allowed to remove or disable in Windows Defe

Rob B.

Startup Programs: Not allowed to remove or disable in Windows Defe
I am in Windows Defender attempting to remove or disable Startup Programs.
When I click some programs, even though they are listed as 'permitted' I am
unable to remove or disable them. The reason is that the remove and diable
buttons do not highlight and are unlcickable. This does not happen for all
Startup Programs. The offenders are Adobe Acrobat, iTunes, and Lenovo
Registration.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
brink

Re: Startup Programs: Not allowed to remove or disable in Windows Defe

Rob B.;573319 Wrote:
> I am in Windows Defender attempting to remove or disable Startup
> Programs.
> When I click some programs, even though they are listed as 'permitted'
> I am
> unable to remove or disable them. The reason is that the remove and
> diable
> buttons do not highlight and are unlcickable. This does not happen for
> all
> Startup Programs. The offenders are Adobe Acrobat, iTunes, and Lenovo
> Registration.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Rob,

You might try one of the other methods here to disable these programs
from startup.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dwarf

RE: Startup Programs: Not allowed to remove or disable in Windows Defe
Hi Rob,

As you are aware, one of Windows Defender's tasks is to enable and disable
startup programs. However, there is another way to check what programs you
have running on startup. Click the start orb and type 'msconfig' in the
search box and press enter. After providing administrative credentials, the
program appears. Select the 'Startup' tab. This displays a list of all
programs that are automatically run via the registry. You can enable and
disable them here, although be aware that doing so can lead to problems with
other programs not working correctly. These programs automatically run for
all users. Another location is the 'Startup' folder on
the 'All Programs' menu. This contains shortcuts to programs that
automatically startup for the currently logged on user. Each user may have
different programs that they wish to start automatically, so the shortcut for
these programs are located here. To disable one of these programs, simply
disable the shortcut. To reenable it, restore the shortcut. Likewise, if you
have a program that you want to run automatically on startup, simply add a
shortcut to this folder. This folder is located in the following location
given below (note that you will need to enable 'Show hidden files and
folders' in the 'View' tab of the 'Folder Options' dialogue which is found by
clicking the start orb and typing 'folder options' in the search box and
pressing enter).
Dwarf

'C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs'

"Rob B." wrote:

> I am in Windows Defender attempting to remove or disable Startup Programs.
> When I click some programs, even though they are listed as 'permitted' I am
> unable to remove or disable them. The reason is that the remove and diable
> buttons do not highlight and are unlcickable. This does not happen for all
> Startup Programs. The offenders are Adobe Acrobat, iTunes, and Lenovo
> Registration.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dwarf

RE: Startup Programs: Not allowed to remove or disable in Windows Defe
Hi Rob,

As you are aware, one of Windows Defender's tasks is to enable and disable
startup programs. However, there is another way to check what programs you
have running on startup. Click the start orb and type 'msconfig' in the
search box and press enter. After providing administrative credentials, the
program appears. Select the 'Startup' tab. This displays a list of all
programs that are automatically run via the registry. You can enable and
disable them here, although be aware that doing so can lead to problems with
other programs not working correctly. These programs automatically run for
all users. Another location is the 'Startup' folder on
the 'All Programs' menu. This contains shortcuts to programs that
automatically startup for the currently logged on user. Each user may have
different programs that they wish to start automatically, so the shortcut for
these programs are located here. To disable one of these programs, simply
disable the shortcut. To reenable it, restore the shortcut. Likewise, if you
have a program that you want to run automatically on startup, simply add a
shortcut to this folder. This folder is located in the following location
given below (note that you will need to enable 'Show hidden files and
folders' in the 'View' tab of the 'Folder Options' dialogue which is found by
clicking the start orb and typing 'folder options' in the search box and
pressing enter).
Dwarf

'C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs'

p.s. Apologies if this post appears more than once. I have tried to send
this post a couple of times, but so far it has not appeared.