No Window's Sounds

sweetie211314

No Window's Sounds
My mom changed her theme the other day and now there are no sounds for new
messaged received, opening and closing windows, logging in or out, emptying
recycle bin...etc. I've tried going into sounds and picking new ones, old
ones and nothing works. In sounds where you can "test" a certain sound,
nothing plays. It's not the speakers cause music plays just fine. I loaded
all the windows media files into windows media player and they work so it's
not that. How do I get them to play again??? Any ideas or help would be
appreciated, Thanks!
Ronc

Re: No Window's Sounds

"sweetie211314" <sweetie211314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My mom changed her theme the other day and now there are no sounds for new
> messaged received, opening and closing windows, logging in or out,
> emptying
> recycle bin...etc. I've tried going into sounds and picking new ones, old
> ones and nothing works. In sounds where you can "test" a certain sound,
> nothing plays. It's not the speakers cause music plays just fine. I loaded
> all the windows media files into windows media player and they work so
> it's
> not that. How do I get them to play again??? Any ideas or help would be
> appreciated, Thanks!

Open the volume mixer (right click speaker icon in the tray and choose
"open"). Under "Applications: windows sounds" make sure the volume slider
is up and that it's not muted.

sweetie211314

Re: No Window's Sounds
Checked it, the slider was at 75, I put it all the way up to 100 and it is
not muted and still doesn't work. Someone please help

"Ronc" wrote:

> "sweetie211314" <sweetie211314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My mom changed her theme the other day and now there are no sounds for new
> > messaged received, opening and closing windows, logging in or out,
> > emptying
> > recycle bin...etc. I've tried going into sounds and picking new ones, old
> > ones and nothing works. In sounds where you can "test" a certain sound,
> > nothing plays. It's not the speakers cause music plays just fine. I loaded
> > all the windows media files into windows media player and they work so
> > it's
> > not that. How do I get them to play again??? Any ideas or help would be
> > appreciated, Thanks!

> Open the volume mixer (right click speaker icon in the tray and choose
> "open"). Under "Applications: windows sounds" make sure the volume slider
> is up and that it's not muted.

Ronc

Re: No Window's Sounds
Just to make sure, are you sure you opened the wide-view volume mixer (as
instructed in my previous post)? I can duplicate your problem on my system
using the wide-view mixer (the one with multiple sliders). All I have to do
is leave the "device" and "media player" sliders unmuted and mute only the
"windows sounds" slider. With that arrangement I can play any file with the
media player application but not hear the same files used as windows sounds.

> Checked it, the slider was at 75, I put it all the way up to 100 and it is
> not muted and still doesn't work. Someone please help
>
> "Ronc" wrote:
>

>> "sweetie211314" <sweetie211314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > My mom changed her theme the other day and now there are no sounds for
>> > new
>> > messaged received, opening and closing windows, logging in or out,
>> > emptying
>> > recycle bin...etc. I've tried going into sounds and picking new ones,
>> > old
>> > ones and nothing works. In sounds where you can "test" a certain sound,
>> > nothing plays. It's not the speakers cause music plays just fine. I
>> > loaded
>> > all the windows media files into windows media player and they work so
>> > it's
>> > not that. How do I get them to play again??? Any ideas or help would be
>> > appreciated, Thanks!

>> Open the volume mixer (right click speaker icon in the tray and choose
>> "open"). Under "Applications: windows sounds" make sure the volume
>> slider
>> is up and that it's not muted.

sweetie211314

Re: No Window's Sounds
All I have is "device-speakers/headphones" and "applications-windows sounds",
does it help anything to mention it's a laptop? We have tried several things
and it has to be some kind of problem with vista sound themes cause that's
the only area with problems.

"Ronc" wrote:

> Just to make sure, are you sure you opened the wide-view volume mixer (as
> instructed in my previous post)? I can duplicate your problem on my system
> using the wide-view mixer (the one with multiple sliders). All I have to do
> is leave the "device" and "media player" sliders unmuted and mute only the
> "windows sounds" slider. With that arrangement I can play any file with the
> media player application but not hear the same files used as windows sounds.
>
> "sweetie211314" <sweetie211314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Checked it, the slider was at 75, I put it all the way up to 100 and it is
> > not muted and still doesn't work. Someone please help
> >
> > "Ronc" wrote:
> >

> >> "sweetie211314" <sweetie211314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message
> >>
> >> Open the volume mixer (right click speaker icon in the tray and choose
> >> "open"). Under "Applications: windows sounds" make sure the volume
> >> slider
> >> is up and that it's not muted.

Ralph

Re: No Window's Sounds
Well, since you mentioned that this started after adding a theme,
my first suggestion would be to see if that theme is the problem.

Remove the theme, and use the restore point from before it was installed.
If the sound comes back, it was that download. If not, then various
settings in Windows and the driver section can be checked or reloaded.

> All I have is "device-speakers/headphones" and "applications-windows
> sounds",
> does it help anything to mention it's a laptop? We have tried several
> things
> and it has to be some kind of problem with vista sound themes cause that's
> the only area with problems.
>
> "Ronc" wrote:
>
>> Just to make sure, are you sure you opened the wide-view volume mixer (as
>> instructed in my previous post)? I can duplicate your problem on my
>> system
>> using the wide-view mixer (the one with multiple sliders). All I have to
>> do
>> is leave the "device" and "media player" sliders unmuted and mute only
>> the
>> "windows sounds" slider. With that arrangement I can play any file with
>> the
>> media player application but not hear the same files used as windows
>> sounds.
>>
>> "sweetie211314" <sweetie211314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Checked it, the slider was at 75, I put it all the way up to 100 and it
>> > is
>> > not muted and still doesn't work. Someone please help

sweetie211314

Re: No Window's Sounds
Tried that, still no sound. What settings in windows and driver section would
I check or reload? I know nothing about it.