Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility

Angel12

Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility
just a bit of advice needed really. Im in the process of doing a course. It
is talking baout how to run chkdsk and cisk cleanup but is only giving
instructions on how to do these processes in Windows XP.
What is the procedure in Vista? as much detail as possible will be greatly
appreciated or any ideas wher i can find out this information.
Thanks in advance
Rick Rogers

Re: Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility
Hi,

The processes are exactly the same in Vista as they were in XP. For Disk
Cleanup, simply type it into the search line and hit <enter>. For chkdsk,
you can either use the tools tab of the selected drive's properties, or run
it from an elevated command prompt (type CMD into the search line, then
right click the program menu entry that appears and choose 'run as
administrator').

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Angel12" <Angel12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> just a bit of advice needed really. Im in the process of doing a course.
> It
> is talking baout how to run chkdsk and cisk cleanup but is only giving
> instructions on how to do these processes in Windows XP.
> What is the procedure in Vista? as much detail as possible will be greatly
> appreciated or any ideas wher i can find out this information.
> Thanks in advance

Angel12

Re: Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility
Brilliant thanks alot for your help

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The processes are exactly the same in Vista as they were in XP. For Disk
> Cleanup, simply type it into the search line and hit <enter>. For chkdsk,
> you can either use the tools tab of the selected drive's properties, or run
> it from an elevated command prompt (type CMD into the search line, then
> right click the program menu entry that appears and choose 'run as
> administrator').
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Angel12" <Angel12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > just a bit of advice needed really. Im in the process of doing a course.
> > It
> > is talking baout how to run chkdsk and cisk cleanup but is only giving
> > instructions on how to do these processes in Windows XP.
> > What is the procedure in Vista? as much detail as possible will be greatly
> > appreciated or any ideas wher i can find out this information.
> > Thanks in advance

Julia

Re: Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility
Hi-
I am trying to set up Disk Cleanup in the Task Scheduler to run
automatically for a client.

I had it down with the requisite switches in XP, but Vista first brings up
the dialog which asks if I wish to clean just the user's files or all files.

How do I configure this? I can't find Vista-specific switches anywhere!

Thanks in advance-
Julia

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The processes are exactly the same in Vista as they were in XP. For Disk
> Cleanup, simply type it into the search line and hit <enter>. For chkdsk,
> you can either use the tools tab of the selected drive's properties, or run
> it from an elevated command prompt (type CMD into the search line, then
> right click the program menu entry that appears and choose 'run as
> administrator').
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Angel12" <Angel12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > just a bit of advice needed really. Im in the process of doing a course.
> > It
> > is talking baout how to run chkdsk and cisk cleanup but is only giving
> > instructions on how to do these processes in Windows XP.
> > What is the procedure in Vista? as much detail as possible will be greatly
> > appreciated or any ideas wher i can find out this information.
> > Thanks in advance

Bob

Re: Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility
Go to http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...k-cleanup.html

Search the page for "batch file".

"Julia" <Julia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi-
> I am trying to set up Disk Cleanup in the Task Scheduler to run
> automatically for a client.
>
> I had it down with the requisite switches in XP, but Vista first brings up
> the dialog which asks if I wish to clean just the user's files or all
> files.
>
> How do I configure this? I can't find Vista-specific switches anywhere!
>
> Thanks in advance-
> Julia
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The processes are exactly the same in Vista as they were in XP. For Disk
>> Cleanup, simply type it into the search line and hit <enter>. For chkdsk,
>> you can either use the tools tab of the selected drive's properties, or
>> run
>> it from an elevated command prompt (type CMD into the search line, then
>> right click the program menu entry that appears and choose 'run as
>> administrator').
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Angel12" <Angel12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > just a bit of advice needed really. Im in the process of doing a
>> > course.
>> > It
>> > is talking baout how to run chkdsk and cisk cleanup but is only giving
>> > instructions on how to do these processes in Windows XP.
>> > What is the procedure in Vista? as much detail as possible will be
>> > greatly
>> > appreciated or any ideas wher i can find out this information.
>> > Thanks in advance

Jamescz

Re: Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility

My portable hardisk has some file write delayed problem. when i run
check disk on it (F
i got this message 'Error: Unable to determine volume version and
state. CHKDSK aborted.'
May i get some advise on how to remedy this problem? thank you very
much. i have a lot of files in it.

this url can describe my situation clearer
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg00234.html

--
Jamescz
Jamescz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=41052

http://forums.techarena.in

Bob

Re: Chkdsk utility and disk cleanup utility
Run sfc /scannow from the command prompt.