Vista Ultimate - Won't Boot and Startup Repair crashes

rodeworrier

Vista Ultimate - Won't Boot and Startup Repair crashes
Boot Failure - bad ndis.sys, Status 0xC...C9, please insert Install disk and
repair
(I paraphrase)
Tried ALL boot options and got the same result, so I ran the repair from the
install disk. The Startup Repair ran for over twelve hours then I got BSOD:
STOP 0x0000000A (0xDE49854E 0x00000002 0x00000000 0x888BA8D7)

Tried boot again same results as before; i.e. ndis ...

Running Startup Repair again now, two hours and counting ...

BTW running repair off of Anytime Upgrade disk if that makes any difference.

Any clues?
brink

Re: Vista Ultimate - Won't Boot and Startup Repair crashes

rodeworrier;571617 Wrote:
> Boot Failure - bad ndis.sys, Status 0xC...C9, please insert Install disk
> and
> repair
> (I paraphrase)
> Tried ALL boot options and got the same result, so I ran the repair
> from the
> install disk. The Startup Repair ran for over twelve hours then I got
> BSOD:
> STOP 0x0000000A (0xDE49854E 0x00000002 0x00000000 0x888BA8D7)
>
> Tried boot again same results as before; i.e. ndis ...
>
> Running Startup Repair again now, two hours and counting ...
>
> BTW running repair off of Anytime Upgrade disk if that makes any
> difference.
>
> Any clues?

Hi RodeWorrier,

You can try doing a Repair Install to see if it will fix the problem
for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
rodeworrier

Re: Vista Ultimate - Won't Boot and Startup Repair crashes
Thanks, this is indeed a clue, I'm running on a Dell XPS 700 with 4 GB of ram
so KB929777 - Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a
computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A" may apply, I'll
check it out tomorrow. The Startup Repair process may have gotten the BSOD
because of this. I think I'll pull the extra 2 GB out since it seems to give
me nothing but grief.

"brink" wrote:

> rodeworrier;571617 Wrote:
> > Boot Failure - bad ndis.sys, Status 0xC...C9, please insert Install disk
> > and
> > repair
> > (I paraphrase)
> > Tried ALL boot options and got the same result, so I ran the repair
> > from the
> > install disk. The Startup Repair ran for over twelve hours then I got
> > BSOD:
> > STOP 0x0000000A (0xDE49854E 0x00000002 0x00000000 0x888BA8D7)
> >
> > Tried boot again same results as before; i.e. ndis ...
> >
> > Running Startup Repair again now, two hours and counting ...
> >
> > BTW running repair off of Anytime Upgrade disk if that makes any
> > difference.
> >
> > Any clues?

> Hi RodeWorrier,
>
> You can try doing a Repair Install to see if it will fix the problem
> for you.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '*Vista Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

rodeworrier

Re: Vista Ultimate - Won't Boot and Startup Repair crashes
BTW When I say "Startup Repair" I am talking about running System Repair from
the Install disk, that is what took twelve hours and ended with a BSOD. Is
that what you meant by a "Repair Install." If so I am currently six hours
into my second attempt. Judging by what I read starting at the link you sent
I'm betting that it BSOD's also. I'll find out in the morning. 18 hours on
this bugger is quite enough for now. (Actually I have not been spending that
time working on this one system, I've a few others keeping me busy also.
That's how long the repair attempt has been running.) Thanks to you I am
less clueless ...

rodeworrier;571687 Wrote:
> Thanks, this is indeed a clue, I'm running on a Dell XPS 700 with 4 GB
> of ram
> so KB929777 - Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a
> computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A" may apply,
> I'll
> check it out tomorrow. The Startup Repair process may have gotten the
> BSOD
> because of this. I think I'll pull the extra 2 GB out since it seems to
> give
> me nothing but grief.
>
> "brink" wrote:
> > > >

> > > rodeworrier;571617 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi RodeWorrier,
> > >
> > > You can try doing a Repair Install to see if it will fix the problem
> > > for you.
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > >

> > > --
> > > brink
> > >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
> > > '*Vista Forums*'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.*

> > > BTW When I say "Startup Repair" I am talking about running System Repair
> > > from
> > > the Install disk, that is what took twelve hours and ended with a BSOD.
> > > Is
> > > that what you meant by a "Repair Install." If so I am currently six
> > > hours
> > > into my second attempt. Judging by what I read starting at the link you
> > > sent
> > > I'm betting that it BSOD's also. I'll find out in the morning. 18 hours
> > > on
> > > this bugger is quite enough for now. (Actually I have not been spending
> > > that
> > > time working on this one system, I've a few others keeping me busy
> > > also.
> > > That's how long the repair attempt has been running.) Thanks to you I
> > > am
> > > less clueless ...

RodeWorrier,

No, a Startup Repair is completely different than a Repair Install. A
Repair Install is doing a Upgrade install on top of you current install
to repair it. It should help you.

If you had more than 3 GB of RAM, then that can cause your problem to.

Shawn

--
brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
rodeworrier

Re: Vista Ultimate - Won't Boot and Startup Repair crashes
Unfortunately this is an multilayer upgrade, i.e. XP > Vista Business >
Anytime Upgrade (Ultimate) when I put in the PID during the Repair Install it
says for the product with this PID I must run the install disk from the
indicated Windows installation ... CATCH 22 jeez, I can't even do a clean
install.

Is there a way to downgrade to the Business Vista, or perhaps I should be
doing all of this from that disk.

Feels like I been rode hard and now all I can do is worry about what comes
next (thus the name.)

"brink" wrote:

> rodeworrier;571687 Wrote:
> > Thanks, this is indeed a clue, I'm running on a Dell XPS 700 with 4 GB
> > of ram
> > so KB929777 - Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a
> > computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A" may apply,
> > I'll
> > check it out tomorrow. The Startup Repair process may have gotten the
> > BSOD
> > because of this. I think I'll pull the extra 2 GB out since it seems to
> > give
> > me nothing but grief.

> RodeWorrier,
>
> No, a Startup Repair is completely different than a Repair Install. A
> Repair Install is doing a Upgrade install on top of you current install
> to repair it. It should help you.
>
> If you had more than 3 GB of RAM, then that can cause your problem to.
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> '*Vista Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

rodeworrier

Re: Vista Ultimate - Won't Boot and Startup Repair crashes (got it)
Ok problem solved (for now, I will still have to do some cleanup I'm sure)

1) Lowered memory to 2 GB the key clue THANKS

2) Ran Startup Repair off of ORIGINAL install disk. It didn't do squat to
repair anything but it finished and gave me access to a command line. It
said problem unknown sent a solution request to Microsoft and returned a
standard "check recent hardware and software installs ...

3) the command line and the drivers on the install disk is all I ever needed
or wanted, I just couldn't get to it. the original error screen told me the
problem ... ndis.sys was corrupt. So I replaced that file from the install
disk, rebooted and it worked. Hopefully the extra memory caused the
corruption problem and it won't happen again. Looking at the events viewer
there a a pack of incomplete write transactions. We shall see ...